Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

cocktail hour D.I.Y. WWYD?

DarthV8rDarthV8r member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
We have had our tasting for the most affordable full service wedding caterer. The food sucked so we didn't go with them. So now I am tasting different taco caterers. They set up a grill and flat grill and hand make tortillas in front of you. So we will be having grilled Carne asada, chicken and Adobada ( marinated pork). Quesadillas , rice, beans, guac, salsas and chips. 1 hour set up and cook, 2 hours cooking and serving. What should I serve for cocktail hour before and while they are setting up ? Something I can put together myself the day before and have the d.o.c put out real quick.

Re: cocktail hour D.I.Y. WWYD?

• Sounds good!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you considered if you have vegetarian or vegan guests?  This is not particularly diet friendly for those who don't eat meat or who don't eat carbs.
  • Have you considered if you have vegetarian or vegan guests?  This is not particularly diet friendly for those who don't eat meat or who don't eat carbs.

quesadillas are vegetarian, lol I assumed everyone knew what that was. The rice and beans and tortillas are vegan from this specific taco place. Vegans could easily make a taco or burrito with that. Chips and salsas, pretty sure those are vegan also. And if I were on a low carb diet I wouldn't expect people to cater to me at a large event. I mean, just eat the meat. Sounds to me like to didn't read my original post, or maybe you just didn't think it through.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015

kaos16 said:
    Have you considered if you have vegetarian or vegan guests?  This is not particularly diet friendly for those who don't eat meat or who don't eat carbs.

quesadillas are vegetarian, lol I assumed everyone knew what that was. The rice and beans and tortillas are vegan from this specific taco place. Vegans could easily make a taco or burrito with that. Chips and salsas, pretty sure those are vegan also. And if I were on a low carb diet I wouldn't expect people to cater to me at a large event. I mean, just eat the meat. Sounds to me like to didn't read my original post, or maybe you just didn't think it through.
    i would agree that most of us do know what quesadillas are. . . . some of my favorite contain lobster or chicken, so clearly not vegetarian.
    Yeah I love me a quesadilla with chopped up steak and onions, so not very vegetarian friendly.

• Can you do fajita-type veggies as a "main" option for the tacos?  Or tofu/sofritas?  Some protein besides just the beans I think might be a good option for the veg crowd.

• kaos16 said:
    Have you considered if you have vegetarian or vegan guests?  This is not particularly diet friendly for those who don't eat meat or who don't eat carbs.

i would agree that most of us do know what quesadillas are. . . . some of my favorite contain lobster or chicken, so clearly not vegetarian.

Right, but when you ordered, you said" I will have the Lobster quesadilla." A quesadilla is just cheese in a tortilla, unless otherwise stated. Like a Carne asada quesadilla , has Carne in it so it wouldn't be vegetarian at all. My point was quesadillas are being offered as a vegetarian entree. I am paying extra for cheese. Should I offer cactus tacos instead?
  • My vegetarian friend would say a cheese quesadilla does not make a proper meal. I would follow other PPs advice and offer another option with protein in it as the vegetarian option.

Also, I agree with other PPs, when you say "quesadilla" I do not immediately think the vegetarian option. Plus, many times my friend has ordered the quesadillas and been asked "chicken or steak?" by the waiter so I don't think it is a big leap to think your guests might assume the same.
  • I can offer soy chorizo with cactus tacos instead of chicken tacos and quesadillas. That will keep my price down. Hopefully the vegetarians are adventurous eaters.
  • Never mind that won't work I need to feed the kids. I still have to have quesadillas. But with the left over cheese we can have the taquiza make mulitas ( quesadillas with meat).
  • As a former vegetarian, I would have loved a cheese quesadilla. I still sometimes order cheese quesadillas when I go out. At a catered event, I would have been thrilled that anyone bothered to think of the vegetarians. Of course, I don't really expect anyone to cater to my food allergy or low-carb-ish-ness, either, and some of your guests might be a lot more fussy than I am. I'll go ahead and assume you know them, though.

Chips, salsa, and guacamole would be what I'd expect as an appetizer before the meal you're serving, and they're super easy. Fruit or veggie trays are ubiquitous and easy. I can't really think of anything else that goes with your dinner and is so easily DIY. Maybe stuffed peppers, or a jalapeno jelly thing? Chips and salsa are probably your best bet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  •  

Please check with the caterers regarding the rice and beans. Rice and beans traditionally are made with chicken, beef, or pork stock, and some people use lard instead of oil. Making both of these dishes very much NOT vegetarian. My friend discovered this the hard way when she kept getting sick from eating rice and beans.

Really? Because I've had quesadillas that have had chicken and/or beef in them. Also, they aren't vegan friendly unless made with soy cheese.
  •  vegan and vegetarian are not the same vegans dont eat dairy milk or cheese 

while vegeterians eat dairy milk and cheese 

• I have since decided to cut my guest list and go with a hotel venue. Its easier. I will make sure we have vegan options .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards