Chit Chat

Semi Spin off- regret tattoo

2»

Re: Semi Spin off- regret tattoo

• MagicInk said:
    I'd suggesst googling. Check out some of the artist's online portfolios. Then call them, set up an appointment. You might have to pay for a consultation, not all artists/shops charge though. Just ask them if there is a consultation fee.

If you are out and about in the world and see someone with a nice piece of artwork you like, nicely compliment them (I love that flaming sword on your arm!) and ask them if they mind telling you who they use as an artist (Can I ask where you got it done). Despite what certain user who shall remain nameless once thought, peeps with tats are cool peeps. Just be nice, compliment the work, and ask if they'll tell you who their artist is. 

I mean obviously if they're like doing something else don't stop and insist they talk to you. But for real, most of us don't mine chatting about our tats so long as we're not like...performing surgery or trying a murder or something. (cause people in all professions can have tattoos, I know tattooed judges)
    I just asked a girl last week where she got hers done because I liked the style. It was a tattoo parlor I didn't look at because it seemed sketchy to me, but she changed my mind when I saw the tat and was told that her family has been going there for years. You never really know until you ask or go in somewhere. Really glad I asked her now. 
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
    Funny Awkward animated GIF
  • MadHops21 said:
    MagicInk said:
    I'd suggesst googling. Check out some of the artist's online portfolios. Then call them, set up an appointment. You might have to pay for a consultation, not all artists/shops charge though. Just ask them if there is a consultation fee.

If you are out and about in the world and see someone with a nice piece of artwork you like, nicely compliment them (I love that flaming sword on your arm!) and ask them if they mind telling you who they use as an artist (Can I ask where you got it done). Despite what certain user who shall remain nameless once thought, peeps with tats are cool peeps. Just be nice, compliment the work, and ask if they'll tell you who their artist is. 

I mean obviously if they're like doing something else don't stop and insist they talk to you. But for real, most of us don't mine chatting about our tats so long as we're not like...performing surgery or trying a murder or something. (cause people in all professions can have tattoos, I know tattooed judges)
    I just asked a girl last week where she got hers done because I liked the style. It was a tattoo parlor I didn't look at because it seemed sketchy to me, but she changed my mind when I saw the tat and was told that her family has been going there for years. You never really know until you ask or go in somewhere. Really glad I asked her now. 
    This describes the place that I got all mine done at. A bunch of people I knew though got theirs done there and the work was good, and when my friend got hers done I went and checked out the equipment, it was completely clean.

Sometimes the sketchier the place, the better the work. Also, it depends how clean it is inside.
  • MadHops21 said:
    MagicInk said:

This describes the place that I got all mine done at. A bunch of people I knew though got theirs done there and the work was good, and when my friend got hers done I went and checked out the equipment, it was completely clean.

Sometimes the sketchier the place, the better the work. Also, it depends how clean it is inside.
    This place seemed sketchy because it's on the side of a major highway in the Chicago suburbs and has a generic "TATTOO" neon sign above the door in a run down strip mall area. I looked online and saw the artists' portfolios and their aftercare and what-not, but hearing first hand from someone made it seem a lot more legit and comfortable. 

I'm still doing research, but it made me put them back on the list to check out when I'm ready. 
  • MadHops21 said:
    MagicInk said:

My personal opinion is the inside of a tattoo shop should remind you of a well decorated edgy doctor's office.

I went in one that had the weirdest smell. I made my friend leave. Nope, weird smell, we're getting out of here.
  • MagicInk said:
    MadHops21 said:
    MagicInk said:

My personal opinion is the inside of a tattoo shop should remind you of a well decorated edgy doctor's office.

I went in one that had the weirdest smell. I made my friend leave. Nope, weird smell, we're getting out of here.
    What do you suggest to look for when you walk in? I know to make sure they're using new needles, gloves while tattooing, and clean, but what else should stand out? 
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    MagicInk said:
    MadHops21 said:
    MagicInk said:

Yeah, this. Run down outside okay, run down inside, not okay. I'm broke and my tattoo is feckin' awesome :)

I shopped around for quite a while, I even went to a convention, where I was not super impressed with most of the artists. I was browsing around on the fuckyeahtattoos tumblr and ran into some awesome ones from a shop in OR, where I'd been trying to find one, which apparently is too busy to do things like going to conventions. So when I went home to visit I got it there. 

Shoutout to scapegoat tattoo in Portland, if anyone is so inclined.  
  • MadHops21 said:
    MagicInk said:
    MadHops21 said:
    MagicInk said:

What do you suggest to look for when you walk in? I know to make sure they're using new needles, gloves while tattooing, and clean, but what else should stand out? 
    The shop should be relatively clean. No food or trash left out. No bad smells emitting from the general vicinity. The staff should look clean (like yeah know they have seen a shower in the past month). I think decent lighting is important...you need to see what you are doing.

They should be happy to show you portfolios of work their artists have done. Explain the process to you. If they ever act like you're a bother to be there you need to leave. I'm not saying their gonna great you like it's fucking Starbucks but if they seem like they want you out the door, get out the door.

I think most people know when they walk into a place they gives off a bad vibe.
  • justsiejustsie member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I have exactly one tattoo, its on the inside of my lip and I got it when I was still in college. I don't really regret it, although I wish I would have picked a different design, because I can easily forget its there and the only person who sees it (when I'm not directly showing someone) is the dentist and that's just funny by its self. 
  • I had a set of six Chinese characters on my foot, that said faith, hope, love, daughter, sister, niece.  I did pretty good research, too, because when they were checked out by a woman who knows Mandarin, she said the only one that was slightly off was the sister one - it needs to be a two part character, with one part denoting older or younger, and I didn't have that, so basically it just said woman.

Anyway.  It was my second tattoo and I liked the sentiment behind it, but eventually I was like, eh, I'm not Chinese.  I got it covered up with some gorgeous flowers (the provincial flowers for the two provinces I've lived in).

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • edited May 2015
    I have clothes in my closet with tags still on them. I absolutely love tattoos, but someone like me should never ever get them
  • kns1988kns1988 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I have/had a tattoo on my wrist that was about 1 inch by 1 inch big. It was an impulsive $50 decision in college to remind me of a "friend" who I'm now not close to anymore. It took me 9 sessions at $100 a pop to get it faded to the point where it doesn't bother me anymore, and HOLY SHIT does laser tattoo removal hurt. It's 10 times more painful than getting a tattoo in the first place. The best way I could describe the pain is that it's like having very hot bacon grease pulsated into my skin by 100 tiny needles. 
  • I have clothes in my closet with tags still on them. I absolutely love tattoos, but someone like me should never ever get them

I feel the same way!  I'm a bit of a commitment-phobe.

I do like to think, though, that if I ever decided to change my name, I would get my original last name as a tattoo.  I would try to convince my dad to do it too.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards