Chit Chat
Options

A little help from fellow no-thigh-gap ladies...

How do you guys dress for hot weather?  I've been a coastal girl all of my life, and am very unaccustomed to dealing with heat.  We're moving far inland this summer, with temperatures normally in the 90-105 degree range and I don't know how to deal with the (apparently for me) inevitable friction burn that occurs when I wear dresses, most shorts, etc. when it's hot.  How do you make it work?

Re: A little help from fellow no-thigh-gap ladies...

• Options
    I use Body Glide.  It's fantastic for avoiding chub rub, shoe chafing, anywhere you're getting friction burn.

• Options
    Viczaesar said:
    I use Body Glide.  It's fantastic for avoiding chub rub, shoe chafing, anywhere you're getting friction burn.

/dead.

What Vic said.  Also, I live in capris.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    I put deodorant between my thighs.  It wasn't until I gained weight that I realized I really took the thigh gap for granted.  Friction is no joke. For dresses, I think someone mentioned THESE not too long ago? I haven't bought them personally, but apparently they're awesome.  

• Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I use Gold Bond anti-friction. Rub that stuff on and good to go. I was at an outdoor wedding last night and it was so freaking hot, I was worried the sweat was gonna make that stuff rub off but nope, I was fine all night long.

I have a friend who loves the Bandlettes that @levioosa linked to, but I've never tried them personally
  • Options
    I use body glide ( you can get it at sports stores, etc.) or wear capri type pants. If I'm in the gym, it's always cropped yoga pants. Occasionally, I'll use shape wear under maxi dresses and stuff. But yeah, chub rub is real.  And it blows.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Jockey Skimmies. Magic.
  • Options
    I wear bike shorts under everything.  Currently searching for a pair for under my wedding dress, in fact!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Longer shorts or capris for me.  But I also hate the way my legs look in shorts.  Body glide when needed, but bring it with you as I find it tends to wear off after a while

• Options
    I wear dresses all the time. Eventually my thighs get used to rubbing together all the time and it ceases to bother me. It's been several months since I didn't wear dresses most of the time. Running, however... I have to wear long shorts or they may chafe enough to bleed.

• Options
    I use Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel. A little goes a long way so it lasts a really long time. It works great for its intended purpose and it also works as an AMAZING makeup primer.
  • Options
    doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    Personally, I wear spandex shorts under dresses.  I have heard wonderful things about Silky Underwear Dusting Powder from Lush, though.

ETA the shorts I wear are a black pair of bike shorts from Walmart and two different coloured pairs of "yoga shorts" that are the stretchiest and comfiest things ever from Giant Tiger.
  • Options
    I wear dresses and have little powder bottles everywhere...car office home purse etc
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    Omfg I am SO HAPPY YOU POSTED THIS. 

I have gained about 15 pounds since last summer so I never had this problem until literally this week, thank you all so much for being open about talking about this.
  • Options
    luckya23 said:
    I wear bike shorts under everything.  Currently searching for a pair for under my wedding dress, in fact!
    Yup, me too.  I tried body glide type products and it just feels weird to me. 
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    edited June 2015
    doeydo said: Personally, I wear spandex shorts under dresses.  I have heard wonderful things about Silky Underwear Dusting Powder from Lush, though.
    ETA the shorts I wear are a black pair of bike shorts from Walmart and two different coloured pairs of "yoga shorts" that are the stretchiest and comfiest things ever from Giant Tiger. *boxes* 

Be careful with this; smell it in-store before buying if possible. I love the products they claim the scent is similar to, but when I ordered a bottle of the powder, the scent was overpowering and cloying and gross (to me), and ditto for the Lustre powder (which is also jasmine based). I don't get it, because I am in love with the Sex Bomb and most other jasmine scented things. The texture is great, though, so if you do like the scent, go for it. I do really like their No Drought dry shampoo, which has pretty much the same texture, but it's got a light citrus scent and is sold in the hair section instead of the body section.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Also, for chafing, I sometimes use powders (from LUSH or otherwise), but I more often use antiperspirant deodorant (I usually buy Dove for sensitive skin). It cuts down on both chafing and razor burn. Or I wear capris or capri leggings. At the moment, I'm wearing denim shorts with a cuff that hits right where I normally chafe; I just went hiking in them with zero chafing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've just recently discovered Jockey slip shorts from Target. They are so lightweight and I barely notice I have them on. Powders and creams and such never worked for me and I was always sweating and uncomfortable in my spanx in the summer months. But the slip shorts are perfect for warmer weather!
  • Options
    NymeruNymeru member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Thank you for all your suggestions!
  • Options
    Count me in for bike shorts. Also, on the advice of a friend, I bought Monistat anti-chafing powder gel and it's like, where has this been all my life (bonus: it can also work as a makeup primer, since it has the same active ingredients). So far it's doing the trick nicely.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I've used all of the products listed above. The Monistat works best but wears out faster- you definitely need to bring it with you.

I prefer bike shorts. Shape wear is great but synthetic fibers in hot weather suck. Cotton-based shorts are amazing. If you search on Amazon you can find cheapies in different colors pretty easily -- I find that light colors are normally hard to find but I bought a 2 pack with white and nude for $7 a few months back. Very helpful for lighter color skirts and dresses.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I feel like I am the only one that body glide does not work for.  Instead of making things actually glide over each other easily and friction free, it just seemed to make things worse.

So for dresses I either wear my thigh length spanx (if the dress is some what tight around the belly) or my jockey shorts (if the dress is flowy).  As for shorts, I have to search wide and far for a pair that won't ride up into my crotch, so I generally wear capris or light weight pants (at night).

• Options
    travel size baby powder! :)

• Options
    I feel like I am the only one that body glide does not work for.  Instead of making things actually glide over each other easily and friction free, it just seemed to make things worse.

So for dresses I either wear my thigh length spanx (if the dress is some what tight around the belly) or my jockey shorts (if the dress is flowy).  As for shorts, I have to search wide and far for a pair that won't ride up into my crotch, so I generally wear capris or light weight pants (at night).

I tried Body Glide years ago, and it felt sticky to me!  The monistat like others have said doesn't seem to last very long, plus it's expensive for how much I seem to have to use!

• Options
    luckya23 said:
    I bought a really nice, light pair of white Jockey shorts from Macy's. They were breathable and very comfortable. They didn't end up working for me because I wanted something with a little bit of compression/smoothing and those were just shorts. But as shorts they were really nice.
  • Options
    luckya23 said:

I tried Body Glide years ago, and it felt sticky to me!  The monistat like others have said doesn't seem to last very long, plus it's expensive for how much I seem to have to use!

Exactly!  I got it for running.  I refused to wear shorts when running because of chaffing and the fact that my shorts ride up.  But in the middle of summer when it is hot as balls out capris are just not comfortable.  I slathered that stuff on and my thighs ended up sticking together.  Not really what I was expecting.  So now I just wear capris and sweat like crazy.

• Options
    luckya23luckya23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2015
    anjemon said:
    luckya23 said:
    I bought a really nice, light pair of white Jockey shorts from Macy's. They were breathable and very comfortable. They didn't end up working for me because I wanted something with a little bit of compression/smoothing and those were just shorts. But as shorts they were really nice.

I will check them out!  I don't really want any compression because I'll be wearing a tight enough dress and will probably be very hot for the outdoor reception!

ETA: At my second dress fitting I wore a pair of my mom's spanx and it was so uncomfortable and hard to breathe.  The seamstress was like oh just don't breathe deeply it will be fine!  Umm, no, I'm not "sort of breathing" for 8+ hours!  I realized later that it was the spanx though, my dress fits fine!

• Options
    Deodorant between the legs is the best thing I've ever used. I've tried baby powder, glides, gels, etc. and nothing seems to work like deoderant.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    luckya23 said:
    anjemon said:
    luckya23 said:

I will check them out!  I don't really want any compression because I'll be wearing a tight enough dress and will probably be very hot for the outdoor reception!

ETA: At my second dress fitting I wore a pair of my mom's spanx and it was so uncomfortable and hard to breathe.  The seamstress was like oh just don't breathe deeply it will be fine!  Umm, no, I'm not "sort of breathing" for 8+ hours!  I realized later that it was the spanx though, my dress fits fine!

I wore spanx to my wedding- I had never worn them before and my seamstress basically bullied me into it (she was right, the dress looked 1 million times better with them). I HATED them for the first 10 minutes but they are actually not so bad.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    luckya23 said:
    anjemon said:
    luckya23 said:

I wore spanx to my wedding- I had never worn them before and my seamstress basically bullied me into it (she was right, the dress looked 1 million times better with them). I HATED them for the first 10 minutes but they are actually not so bad.
    Also there are different levels of compression with spanx.  There are subtle compression up to "you cannot breathe" compression.  Also, size matters so if you don't have the right size on and too tight of a compression level then yeah, they are going to be uncomfortable.

• Options
    I really didn't want to wear Spanx for my wedding - my dress fit perfectly without, and I wanted to be comfortable and not too hot. I bought white Reebok compression shorts (LINK) on sale at Dick's, and it was the best decision I made surrounding the wedding (aside from marrying H, of course.) I just wore them again over the honeymoon under a maxi dress, and it reassured me that I need to buy more pairs for this reason alone. 

*******************************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards