Chit Chat

Proposal gone awry

Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
edited June 2015 in Chit Chat
This was actually kind of difficult to watch

Edited because dumb TK and not accepting pasted links!

Re: Proposal gone awry

• Hey some ladies don't even get a ring.
  • Oh wow. Did she seriously turn him down only because the proposal wasn't good enough? 

My H proposed to me in the car. It wasn't a big cutesy plan and there was no video camera. I had accidentally messed up his other plans (because I had no idea what he was trying to do) and he felt like he wasn't gonna get the chance if he didn't hurry up and just do it. So yeah, he asked in the car. I couldn't even see the ring because it was dark. 

But I was so shocked and so excited and so happy that critiquing his method of proposing or turning it down because it wasn't social-media-worthy enough never even crossed my mind. Come on people, what matters? The cute story, or the man/woman you're marrying?!!! 
  • That's painful!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I feel bad for the guy.  Their first date was at a Mc Donald's and they ate chicken that night.  So he did put some thought into the proposal.

Granted I was told on at our company's dirty stinky loading dock by DH that he was going to ask my parents for their blessing in July.  This was in Feb.  By time July came I designed my own ring and had been on the knot for a while.   We were engaged, he just didn't call it that because he wanted to met my parents first.   (yes, there was some eye rolling going on.  But life is about compromises).  He met my parents and then just pulled out the ring.  He never actually proposed.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I thought it was kind of cute.  I mean when you want a proposal to be a surprise, doing something like this guy did works.  When you go all out romantic with it (fancy dinner, carriage ride, candles everywhere and a violinist playing in the background, etc), it kind of gives your plans away I think.

• Poor guy. That was awful to watch!

• I thought it was kind of cute.  I mean when you want a proposal to be a surprise, doing something like this guy did works.  When you go all out romantic with it (fancy dinner, carriage ride, candles everywhere and a violinist playing in the background, etc), it kind of gives your plans away I think.

-------WTF BOX-------

Fi kinda did something "that would have been a give away and I was still surprised and sort of in denial

He took me shopping and bought me a very nice maxi dress, we went on a sail boat around the bay all fancy looking and he had me blindfolded 90% of the trip from the rental apt we had to the docks. 

But yeah I can't believe the poor guy didnt dump her after this BS. I thought it was super cute, original and very thoughtful!

• I thought this guy's idea was sweet! It makes sense, they had their first date there, etc. But I kind of see her point of view too. Getting proposed to at the drive-thru at McDonald's would make me be all WTF, but then I'd get over it because I'd be engaged. It's not anything to sob over. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I thought this guy's idea was sweet! It makes sense, they had their first date there, etc. But I kind of see her point of view too. Getting proposed to at the drive-thru at McDonald's would make me be all WTF, but then I'd get over it because I'd be engaged. It's not anything to sob over. 
    If I got a free chicken sandwich, that's definitely worth saying yes. 
  • So... I was really trying to give her the benefit of the doubt, like, maybe it is the wrong guy or she's really not ready to get married. You don't have to say yes to a proposal, after all. 
    But alas, she thinks he's treating the proposal as a joke. And they're waiting to get engaged. It does seem the proposal was not good enough. 

Boo to spoiled brats. 

• I admit it, I laughed really hard at that video until the end when he starts looking nervous.

My fiance proposed to me while we were in the middle of moving into our current house and he was so nervous that he didn't set it up right and I almost fell over him on bended knee in our kitchen. It was still the best moment.

She seems really spoiled.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• momofbride530momofbride530 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2015
    H proposed to me by opening the box and saying "here ya go" lol. I knew he was going to ask me but not when . Didn't need a special proposal. We've been married almost 25 years.
  • He put the ring on the wrong hand. At least as far as US tradition goes...
    Hey, my FI didn't even know he was supposed to put it on my hand lol. He proposed, I said yes, thought he was going to put the ring on me, and then he said, "Are you going to put it on?" Later he asked me if that was the right finger.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Omg I had to stop watching. Yeah, it was pretty lame but I feel like...someone who proposes like that just might have that kind of personality, in which case THAT IS FINE and I thought it was cute when he was getting all nervous. Geez. Some people.

I consistently thwarted FI's plans throughout the day, and in his final attempt, he tried to get me to go on the rooftop of our hotel in NYC to "see the skyline," which...I've done...before. And the elevator wouldn't go up to the roof! He ended up proposing to me in our room while I was taking off my makeup. It was PERFECT because everything about that day was very "us," as in, a total awkward disaster, and I say that with love. 

I think I would die of embarrassment if someone tried to pull one of those fancy, super coordinated proposals on me.
  • abcdevonn said:
    Omg I had to stop watching. Yeah, it was pretty lame but I feel like...someone who proposes like that just might have that kind of personality, in which case THAT IS FINE and I thought it was cute when he was getting all nervous. Geez. Some people.

I consistently thwarted FI's plans throughout the day, and in his final attempt, he tried to get me to go on the rooftop of our hotel in NYC to "see the skyline," which...I've done...before. And the elevator wouldn't go up to the roof! He ended up proposing to me in our room while I was taking off my makeup. It was PERFECT because everything about that day was very "us," as in, a total awkward disaster, and I say that with love. 

I think I would die of embarrassment if someone tried to pull one of those fancy, super coordinated proposals on me.
    That is super cute! I love hearing these stories, especially the awkward ones. Those always make me so happy. 

FI proposed to me in his garage, after faking it in his driveway. Not one soul witnessed it, other than his dog, who didn't care. Those giant proposals with the videos and flash mobs make me so anxious.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Hey, my FI didn't even know he was supposed to put it on my hand lol. He proposed, I said yes, thought he was going to put the ring on me, and then he said, "Are you going to put it on?" Later he asked me if that was the right finger.

Mine did the same. He asked, after utter shock I said yes and then he hugged me. I asked if he was going to put it on and he said he was so nervous he wasn't sure which hand so I had to give him the right one.
  • I found my ring sitting in his sock drawer - no box - when I was looking for a deck of cards. He throws things in there randomly so it isn't an unusual place to be looking. I jumped back, walked out to the living room, and said "babe... I don't know how to tell you this..." thinking he was going to be upset that I ruined whatever surprise he had been planning. He said "you found it!!" and jumped up from the couch, hugged me, and asked me to marry him - the ring was still in the sock drawer. It was beautiful and perfect. 

He had actually planned to surprise me the day before at a Christmas tree farm but it was a rainy, stressful day (car got stuck in the mud), so he waited. He was stressing out about what to do and was so relieved that I found it. It took the pressure off. 

The sweetest thing was that he had already booked our chapel, so we had a wedding date set before we were even engaged :)
  • I got caught up in my proposal story and didn't even say what I thought of the video... It's sad that he was disappointed, but I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt that she just wasn't ready to get married. I don't know how a relationship could survive that, though.
  • mj8215mj8215 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Poor guy! I too thought his idea of "reenacting their first date" was very sweet and thoughtful. 
    I agree with wanting to give her the benefit of the doubt, and if she is not ready, I suppose its better to say no than to say yes just because she feels like she has to... but STILL, in the video she comes across very demanding and focused on the right "proposal story" as opposed to what this is really about... yes, hard to imagine how they can stay together after this. 

- The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards