Snarky Brides

Ugh... Surprise Birthday Party actually Wedding Reception...

My fiance and I were invited to a surprise birthday party for a co-worker after work today. His fiance arranged it. She said that it's BYOB and BYOC. Confused about BYOC I asked her and it's bring your own chair since apparently they don't have enough for everyone they invited. Ok it's a birthday party sure I'll bring a couple folding chairs, it's weird but no big deal. 

She says in her e-mail that she's making dinner we don't need to bring food but if we want to let her know to coordinate. I'm a vegetarian so I try to reply as politely as possible to please let me know what she's planning and I'll come up with a vegetarian dish to go with it. She says that a lot of people are vegetarians so she's making fish. I don't eat fish but I'm not going to be rude so I tell her I'll still bring a dish. I really don't get why people assume vegetarian's eat fish... I mean some do but to me it's still a living breathing creature so it counts as meat. Anyways a little annoying but again birthday party nbd i'll have my dish and she said she's making peas and rice cool it will be fun.

Well fast-forward to today. Our co-worker shows up in a suit and turns out he's going to city hall half way through the day to get married and the surprise birthday party is actually their reception tonight. To make it worse we find out that some of our other co-workers knew and are going to be witnesses. Also he's having his bachelor party tomorrow and my fiance is the only one of co-workers not invited. 

We aren't really close to these people so if they just didn't include us in their wedding celebrations I wouldn't have thought anything. Now that I've found out we're only invited to poorly hosted reception that we were invited under the disguise that it's a birthday party I'm completely disgusted and offended. I've told my fiance I'm not going. 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ugh... Surprise Birthday Party actually Wedding Reception...

• My fiance and I were invited to a surprise birthday party for a co-worker after work today. His fiance arranged it. She said that it's BYOB and BYOC. Confused about BYOC I asked her and it's bring your own chair since apparently they don't have enough for everyone they invited. Ok it's a birthday party sure I'll bring a couple folding chairs, it's weird but no big deal. 

She says in her e-mail that she's making dinner we don't need to bring food but if we want to let her know to coordinate. I'm a vegetarian so I try to reply as politely as possible to please let me know what she's planning and I'll come up with a vegetarian dish to go with it. She says that a lot of people are vegetarians so she's making fish. I don't eat fish but I'm not going to be rude so I tell her I'll still bring a dish. I really don't get why people assume vegetarian's eat fish... I mean some do but to me it's still a living breathing creature so it counts as meat. Anyways a little annoying but again birthday party nbd i'll have my dish and she said she's making peas and rice cool it will be fun.

Well fast-forward to today. Our co-worker shows up in a suit and turns out he's going to city hall half way through the day to get married and the surprise birthday party is actually their reception tonight. To make it worse we find out that some of our other co-workers knew and are going to be witnesses. Also he's having his bachelor party tomorrow and my fiance is the only one of co-workers not invited. 

We aren't really close to these people so if they just didn't include us in their wedding celebrations I wouldn't have thought anything. Now that I've found out we're only invited to poorly hosted reception that we were invited under the disguise that it's a birthday party I'm completely disgusted and offended. I've told my fiance I'm not going. 
    1. To the bolded, such a shame that you got sick on the same day as their party!
    2. Did I read correctly that he is having a bach party after his wedding? Do people do this and I am unaware? Is this a thing?
  • Yup I was going to say I had to work late but I realized they'd probably see me leaving on time haha.. so sickness it is!

Also yea I thought the bachelor party after was really weird too. I guess I was ranted out to not comment on that. Like the point of a bachelor party is to celebrate your last nights being single so having it after seems wrong to me...

Ugh to make it worse my fiance's boss came over and jokingly said "See [co-worker] is coming back after his wedding...] in reference to us taking 2 weeks off for our honeymoon. I realize it's a joke but I guess I'm just not in the mood for that joke today.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Why not just be upfront about it instead of lying and saying it's a surprise birthday party?

• Exactly! If they had we'd probably bought a gift or given them a check and been happy to celebrate even if it wasn't as properly hosted as it should be. I can look past some bad etiquette, sure I'd side eye a few things but I'll get over it and I'm sure have a nice time. I can't get past getting lied to! 

So these co-workers are on rotation, something our company does where they give some new hires a chance to work at different manufacturing sites around the world. These co-workers are just at ours for 6 months and then are going back home. Turns out they have a PPD planned for when they get home... Wonder if they'll tell the truth about that one but I kind of doubt it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I honestly don't see what such the big deal is. So they had a quickie wedding and are having a super informal reception. I guess I don't get why it's offensive. They aren't asking for a gift and they are providing dinner. It's a BYOB BYOC get together. Other than the chair thing, I would go and have fun.
  • hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited June 2015

I honestly don't see what such the big deal is. So they had a quickie wedding and are having a super informal reception. I guess I don't get why it's offensive. They aren't asking for a gift and they are providing dinner. It's a BYOB BYOC get together. Other than the chair thing, I would go and have fun.

Hi, you must be new. I suggest you lurk for a bit, check out the boards and then come play with the Snarky Brides. 

Just a quick heads up, your Reception is a "Thank you" for people attending your wedding. As the host, you are to provide everything required within your budget. This means food, beverages and place to sit your ass. Your guests should not have to pull out their wallet for anything, nor should they be expected to do anything but show up and have a good time.

Great, now keep these points in mind when you are posting and you should be able to navigate through here with no issues.

_____

QFT

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I honestly don't see what such the big deal is. So they had a quickie wedding and are having a super informal reception. I guess I don't get why it's offensive. They aren't asking for a gift and they are providing dinner. It's a BYOB BYOC get together. Other than the chair thing, I would go and have fun.
    So you think lying to people is okay? Wow.

And here I thought lying was wrong. I guess my parents lied to me about that.

I sneezed, WebMD says I have cancer, sorry, can't make it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

What's "fun" about being lied to and told to not only pay for one's own thank-you for attending but also work it by carrying chairs?

Lying about whether or not an event is a wedding is a big deal. Making one's guests pay for any part of it is a big deal. Inviting people to anything and failing to provide the most basics of hospitality is a huge deal. BYO and potlucks are therefore totally inappropriate for weddings.

Read more posts before you give advice here.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards