Wedding Reception Forum

Hiring a caricature artist for reception?

We'd like to provide entertainment for our guests of all ages, especially those who may not want to dance... It costs $900 for our wedding venue to provide their photo booth, and I just have no interest in paying for that. However, I looked into hiring a caricature artist and saw the price was very reasonable.

My ceremony starts at 4:30 and dinner is served at six (with an open bar cocktail hour in between). I'd like to hire them for 7-10, simply because I'd like people to have something that might keep them engaged throughout the later part of the night when dinner has been eaten and the first dances and cake cutting have finished... What do you think about this timing? Just wanted some opinions!

Re: Hiring a caricature artist for reception?

• How many people are you having? How long does each caricature take? Number of kids/teens? Personally if I was at a wedding standing in line at any time for that would not be my cup of tea but that's because one of my favorite parts of weddings are drinking and dancing after dinner.

But it is a know your crowd thing. If you have a lot of kids/teens or non-dancers would probably be a hit! Or if you have a small number of guests maybe just have it available during the cocktail hour?

• A caricature portrait might take around 15-30 minutes. So let's say your reception is a typical 4 hours... that means only about 8-16 people are getting their portraits done. That's not many. And, it's not like you can keep the portraits as keepsakes (they'll go home with the subject probably). Whereas with a photobooth, you can keep copies of the photos of all your guests. If a photobooth is still a possibility, I would definitely go with that instead. Photobooths are so fun and usually every guest participates.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• As a guest, I wouldn't participate. When I go to a wedding, I want to either dance or socialize with people I don't get to see often. Sitting for a drawing just seems like a waste of the limited time I have.

Still, some guests may enjoy it. It's definitely not necessary, and shouldn't be prioritized over the more important things in your budget, but if you have the extra money and want to do it, go for it. 
  • As PPs have said, I think this is a "know your crowd" thing.  Some guests might enjoy it; others may wish to dance, talk, eat, drink, etc.  But there's certainly no violation of etiquette in having one.
  • Personally I would just save your money.  Yeah photobooths and caricature artists can be fun.  But as a guest I would rather you use that extra money towards upgrading your bar or adding an appetizer or maybe having a late night snack of french fries and pizza.

• Personally I would just save your money.  Yeah photobooths and caricature artists can be fun.  But as a guest I would rather you use that extra money towards upgrading your bar or adding an appetizer or maybe having a late night snack of french fries and pizza.
    this

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Personally I do not like and would not want a caricature depiction of myself.  I don't know how many other people feel the same way, but it is something to think about.  Also, I wouldn't want to stand in line if I did want one, and there would only be one artist.
  • I have actually been to a wedding with one. It was a digital caricature artist (he used an ipad), It took him about five minutes a person. Most people got one. I am actually thinking of hiring him since he was fabulous.  
  • My cousin had one.  He stayed for several hours longer than he was originally scheduled because there was a long line of people who wanted to get one done.  (We didn't actually stand in line, we declared that Aunt D was after gramma who was after Cousin J and her boyfriend.)  So keep the potential extra costs in mind.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards