Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

What do you do after you cut the cake?

I know that some couples feed each other the cake, or smush it in each other's faces, but I think this is pretty tacky.

Is there anything else we can do after we cut the cake? Can we just place the slice on a plate and go back to our seats? Or is that rude? I don't know what people expect to see, but having people watch us as we feed each other cake is kind of weird to me...

Curious to know if there's any alternatives to this. Thanks!

Re: What do you do after you cut the cake?

• Options
    You could skip the cake cutting entirely, and just let the kitchen people know when you want them to start serving it. That's probably what I'd do if you don't want to feed it to each other.

Smushing the cake is definitely tacky, and the thought of it kind of fills me with rage. Feeding the cake to one another neatly, on the other hand, is supposed to be an act of service to each other. Forks and napkins are totally allowed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. If we do end up feeding each other the cake, do we have to keep doing this until  we actually finish the entire slice? Then go back to our seats? To be honest I haven't been to many weddings where there was a cake cutting so I'm just trying to visualize this!
  • Options
    Thanks for the response. If we do end up feeding each other the cake, do we have to keep doing this until  we actually finish the entire slice? Then go back to our seats? To be honest I haven't been to many weddings where there was a cake cutting so I'm just trying to visualize this!
    No, if you decide to feed each other, it's just the first bite. I don't think I'd care to watch a couple feed each other an entire slice of cake when I could be eating a slice myself, ya know?  After you cut the first slice, feed each other a bite, the staff should take over cutting the cake and serving the guests.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    We opted to feed each other a bite of cake after cutting it - no smooshing because that's a waste of perfectly good cake. I did put a little drop of icing on DH's nose for a photo op but wiped it off right after that. The caterer wheeled the cake away as soon as we were done with out bites, and guests were served within 5 minutes of that.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    we just did one bite fed (by hand) to each other and that was it. I told him no way were we smushing cake, it was too good to waste hehe
  • Options
    We (I) cut the slice of cake and placed it on the plate. Then I cut two small bites. We fed that to each other, smiled, kissed, and said, "Y'all come get some cake!" and everyone lined up.

• Options
    We fed each other a small piece.  Then as the guests were eating their cake we did the parent dances.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We did the same as @lyndausvi. I thought it would be good timing to do our father-daughter dance during dessert and break it up from our first dance (which we did right as we entered the reception).

I will say, it was really hard for me to just have one bite. Our cake was damn good. One of the groomsmen was nice enough to box up a few pieces that we took to our hotel after the reception.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If you're not going to eat the cake, don't cut it. Skip the cake-cutting. 
  • Options
    H and I decided at the last minute (meaning during our reception) to cut the cake, mainly because people were too afraid to grab a cupcake before the top cake was cut.  We didn't make an announcement we just grabbed our photographer and went over, cut it, fed each other a small piece and then proceeded on with the party.

But really if you don't want to cut the cake then don't cut the cake.  You can certainly just cut it and not feed each other.  Don't over think this.

• Options

It sounds like you hate the cake already and you haven't even had a bite...  If that's the case, skip it and tell the caterer to start cutting when they're ready...  If you do have the cake cutting ceremony, it's just the first slice.  DH really wanted to skip the feeding eachother part and just feed ourselves/take the slice back to the table with us.  It's only one bite.  We personally don't like the whole smooshing cake into people's faces and making a mess thing either.  In our opinions it's a waste of good cake and potentially a lot of money to have cleaned off of really expensive clothes/lost deposit on the tux...  Another idea is to have the caterers just serve you a slice as they are everyone else and just play it by ear from your seats!  It's easy to do this part of things respectfully, but if you don't want to do the cake cutting/feeding at all, just skip it, nothing says you HAVE to!

• Options
    The tradition of cutting the cake and feeding each other a bite of cake is to symbolize providing for and serving each other. The smashing is some stupid thing that's relatively recent and, IMHO, super disrespectful.

It's just a bite, not the whole piece. If you don't want to participate in this tradition, don't. But lots of people will wonder if it's OK to eat cake if this hasn't happened.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I hate the cake smashing trend or whatever you want to call it. If I'm spending $100 on getting my makeup done to look good I'd be pissed if I had to wipe it all off with the cake that was smashed in my face. Not to mention the waste of perfectly delicious cake! I don't know who started that but it bothers me...

To answer your question though as a guest as long as I get a slice of cake I don't think I'd miss you not cutting the cake. Also if you just wanted to cut it together and take your slices back while either guests line up to get cake or the staff serves it I don't think that's a big deal either.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards