Chit Chat

How's your week looking?

Looking for the positive...

I usually get in around 8:20 but came in at 7:45 to avoid problems with a conference call I have scheduled for 8:30. All no-shows at 8:45.

I've got so many meetings scheduled this week that I don't have time to do my job. I'm off Thursday -next Tuesday so I need to be getting shit done.

We leave Thursday at 4:30 AM for a trip to FL with DH's family for a niece's quincenera. I'm not excited: 17 hour drive each way with a ton of his family in a minivan. We'd fly but it didn't make sense given how many people we needed to subsidize travel for. I'm sure the time in FL will be nice but I'm dreading the drive. I've done this with his family before (moving his sister to grad school) but this is a bigger group and a longer drive.

Also, fussy since we were initially told it would be a fancy event so I spent a bunch of time and money buying the perfect dress. We were recently told that it will be much more casual than originally planned so the dress doesn't work. Just glad I could return it, but I'm bummed that I didn't get a chance to wear it- and don't see any reason to keep it.

How about you. How's your week looking?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: How's your week looking?

• Have fun this weekend.  Although that drive doesn't seem all that fun to me. :p

It looks like uneventful for me.   Standard work, nothing crazy expected.    DH's is pretty busy.  He has a gala on Thursday and then a booth at Aspen Food and Wine this weekend.     I'm hoping he gets at least tomorrow night off so we can have dinner.    Murphy's law says that will not happen because I have something somewhat planned.  One can hope though.

I have 5 tomatoes pop up in the last few days on my plant. I'm ridiculously excited watching them grow.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Another slow week at work for me. The only thing getting me through today is knowing that tonight is The Bachelorette and "margarita Monday" ($2.50 margaritas) at our favorite Mexican restaurant.

• I worked about 60 hours last week so I am leaving early almost every day this week. 

• I'm actually pretty bummed out today. We were going to leave this Friday for an OOT wedding of close friends. They kind of threw their plans together and decided on something intimate, so they weren't going to send paper invitations. The bride and groom each told H and I multiple times that we were invited. 

Then the groom "formally" invited H by word of mouth since that's how they were doing their invites. We were so excited to go, and have been planning on it for a while now. 

When H called yesterday to make sure we had the right details, we were un-invited. They "don't have the capacity" for us. So we're "welcome to come down and celebrate for the weekend," but we can't come to the wedding. Ouch. And no, I'm not spending 6 hours driving and paying for a hotel room just to lurk around and not go to the wedding. 

I had already spent a bunch of time picking a dress (so I totally get your frustration there, Wanda) and spent a ton of time and thought choosing a gift (which we're still going to send; we just don't get to give it in person). 

The other two guys in their close-knit friend group are definitely still invited, just not H and I. I get that space is limited, but then maybe don't invite us till you know for sure what your capacity is? I was really hurt and bummed out, and so was H, but whatever. Not much I can do about it. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me whine about that. And lurkers, this is why you need to keep your excitement in check and not gush to the known world about your wedding till you know your final guest list. 
  • Looks like a regular ole week for me. Hawks may clinch the Cup tonight and if they do (at home) there will be some good old fashioned rioting around here. Yup, I'm staying in to avoid the crazy. 

But on the other hand, Chicago throws some epic celebratory ticker-tape parades, so if this happens, that'll be fun for later this week or next week. 

• I'm actually pretty bummed out today. We were going to leave this Friday for an OOT wedding of close friends. They kind of threw their plans together and decided on something intimate, so they weren't going to send paper invitations. The bride and groom each told H and I multiple times that we were invited. 

Then the groom "formally" invited H by word of mouth since that's how they were doing their invites. We were so excited to go, and have been planning on it for a while now. 

When H called yesterday to make sure we had the right details, we were un-invited. They "don't have the capacity" for us. So we're "welcome to come down and celebrate for the weekend," but we can't come to the wedding. Ouch. And no, I'm not spending 6 hours driving and paying for a hotel room just to lurk around and not go to the wedding. 

I had already spent a bunch of time picking a dress (so I totally get your frustration there, Wanda) and spent a ton of time and thought choosing a gift (which we're still going to send; we just don't get to give it in person). 

The other two guys in their close-knit friend group are definitely still invited, just not H and I. I get that space is limited, but then maybe don't invite us till you know for sure what your capacity is? I was really hurt and bummed out, and so was H, but whatever. Not much I can do about it. 

Anyway, thanks for letting me whine about that. And lurkers, this is why you need to keep your excitement in check and not gush to the known world about your wedding till you know your final guest list. 
    Ouch.

I'm not sure they would remain my friend anymore.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    I'm actually pretty bummed out today. We were going to leave this Friday for an OOT wedding of close friends. They kind of threw their plans together and decided on something intimate, so they weren't going to send paper invitations. The bride and groom each told H and I multiple times that we were invited. 

Ouch.

Yeah... They're moving across the country in a few weeks and they're not the greatest at keeping in touch, so I have a feeling this friendship might kind of naturally die out. 

• Ugh, my week is looking really busy. I've got a rehearsal tomorrow and Tuesday, potential plans on Wednesday and plans on Friday and Saturday. Nothing as crappy as driving 17 hours, but I've been feeling so busy lately.

I probably feel busier because we had a bunch of my college friends over last night. A couple who lives out of state was back visiting family and they only had Sunday evening available before he flew out. We hosted and it was a ton of fun, but it totally killed our Sunday. We didn't have anything ready for the week and I didn't get a ton of decompressing time.

I'm also regretting agreeing to stage manage a friend's show. It is pretty fun when I'm at rehearsal, but I am basically unhappy to be spending my evening there every time I'm called. I agreed to this before we bought the house and now I have a million other things I want to do at home. I wanted to get back into stage managing, but now I'm thinking that when the urge to theatre next strikes, I should probably only agree to do something that requires much less dedicated time. And I don't want to complain to H about it because he was against this decision in the first place.
  • Week is looking pretty boring actually. Nothing out of the ordinary happening.

We are doing 2 long hikes the last weekend in June, so we will probably spend some time this upcoming week going through our supplies, making sure the bear spray hasnt expired, restocking the first aid kit, making arrangements for people to know where we are and when we plan on returning etc.

• kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    lyndausvi said:
    Have fun this weekend.  Although that drive doesn't seem all that fun to me. :p

It looks like uneventful for me.   Standard work, nothing crazy expected.    DH's is pretty busy.  He has a gala on Thursday and then a booth at Aspen Food and Wine this weekend.     I'm hoping he gets at least tomorrow night off so we can have dinner.    Murphy's law says that will not happen because I have something somewhat planned.  One can hope though.

I have 5 tomatoes pop up in the last few days on my plant. I'm ridiculously excited watching them grow.
    Do you get to attend if he has a booth?  I know that for little food festivals around here, that's how it works.  They comp a ticket or two for the restaurant/winery that has the booth.

I've been mildly obsessed with Aspen Food and Wine since I have been binge watching Top Chef on Hulu while DH golfs now that we are cable free.

I'm not sure they would be my friends anymore either. That stinks!

@lyndausvi - I'm impressed with the Aspen Food & Wine. I've read all about it! I hope you get dinner with your DH.

@thisismynickname - We're hoping for a bit of craziness too. The Kid is pissed: his plans of sneaking downtown to watch the game with friends was foiled. They were hoping to see/join rioting. Instead, he'll be at home with us.
  • I'm feeling stressed out about this week. I've been unhappy at my job for a while so I've been applying to positions here and there and I finally got a call back. Although I'm excited about the potential new position I am also feeling anxious about having to quit even though I'm totally jumping the gun since I haven't even gone on the interview yet.

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    lyndausvi said:
    I'm actually pretty bummed out today. We were going to leave this Friday for an OOT wedding of close friends. They kind of threw their plans together and decided on something intimate, so they weren't going to send paper invitations. The bride and groom each told H and I multiple times that we were invited. 

Ouch.

same here.  and my gift probably would not find its way to their house either

• I'm not sure they would be my friends anymore either. That stinks!

@lyndausvi - I'm impressed with the Aspen Food & Wine. I've read all about it! I hope you get dinner with your DH.

@thisismynickname - We're hoping for a bit of craziness too. The Kid is pissed: his plans of sneaking downtown to watch the game with friends was foiled. They were hoping to see/join rioting. Instead, he'll be at home with us.
    Yeah, it's pretty cool  I can't see him there because 

(1) the tickets sold out a few months ago within a few minutes.   Long before I found out DH would be there. 

(2) the tickets are over $1500 PER TICKET.   

Yeah, no.  I do not like DH that much to see him cook at any event at that rate.  Even to get on the volunteer lists are next to impossible.   

I will met him on the outside of the event.  You know hanging with the other wannabes.

• I applied for that new job today, so we'll see if that goes anywhere.  My Principal said he'll be a little mad if I get it, cos it'll mean more work for him (actually other admin) to change the schedule.  Well, he shouldn't have told me to apply for it.  

Report cards are due at the end of this week and I'm only half done

• I'm feeling stressed out about this week. I've been unhappy at my job for a while so I've been applying to positions here and there and I finally got a call back. Although I'm excited about the potential new position I am also feeling anxious about having to quit even though I'm totally jumping the gun since I haven't even gone on the interview yet.
    I totally do this too. I get myself all worried about things 10 steps away from where I'm at. My only advice is to try and let it go, worrying doesn't help. Also that for me, quitting has never been as bad as I imagine it to be. One of my bosses was even happy for me, when I felt so bad about leaving them in the lurch.
  • anjemon said:
    I'm feeling stressed out about this week. I've been unhappy at my job for a while so I've been applying to positions here and there and I finally got a call back. Although I'm excited about the potential new position I am also feeling anxious about having to quit even though I'm totally jumping the gun since I haven't even gone on the interview yet.
    I totally do this too. I get myself all worried about things 10 steps away from where I'm at. My only advice is to try and let it go, worrying doesn't help. Also that for me, quitting has never been as bad as I imagine it to be. One of my bosses was even happy for me, when I felt so bad about leaving them in the lurch.

Agreed quitting is tough but not as bad as it seems at the time. I'll just mention this: leave on the best terms that you can. Close up your projects neatly, give at least 2 weeks notice, thank everyone. People run into each other all the time and leaving with a short notice, mouthing off, etc. will kick you in the ass down the road. I quit a job at a time that really hurt an old boss (I was leaving for grad school) but, as hard as it was, he was still very happy for me and helped me out down the road.
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    After five months, the main computer is finally fixed.  About time, DH!
    He is currently doing taxes for the year, and is yelling at me every ten minutes.  Grrrr!
    The air-conditioner is not up and running.  It should take him about two hours to get it going for the season.  Here in the southwest we use evaporative coolers for air-conditioning, otherwise known as "swamp coolers"!  Temperatures are in the 80s.  Grrr!  I'm cooking with the crockpot out on the front porch.  We are out of ice cream

Doesn't look like a fun week.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • FIRST DAY OF SUMMER BREAK!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • My last day at work is Thursday, so I only have today and tomorrow as full workdays.  Friday we leave for my family float trip. 

We move 2 weeks from today.  We drove to KY Saturday, looked at a house Sunday and signed the rental papers, then drove home.  That was about 20 hours in the car over the weekend - I'm so sick of being in the car!  At least this next trip, I will be driving my car and we're breaking it up into 2 4-hour driving days. 

I've got anxiety both from being unemployed (although I will enjoy the time off) and having no income (H is completely fine with this until I find a job this summer/fall), and stress from the stepkids.  I need wine. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards