• Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Chit Chat

Ways to cut expenses

2»

Re: Ways to cut expenses

• hicocohicoco Chicago member
    100 Love Its 100 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Hoping to put some of these awesome tips to use this weekend!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • you were given great advise.  The only thing I would add that helped us was have "no spend days."  I challenge myself every month with a goal to only spend on so many days.  For example in June I challenged myself to 15 no spend days.  So when days come up that I want online shop or spend on something I really do not need I can stop and think--how many days have I spent money?.  It's like a game.  There obviously is not anything to lose but I do feel bad when I don't meet goals, so it really just holds me accountable.  I have found that it really helps with the impulse buys because if I spend randomly that may have used up one of my days.  So I am more likely to stop and think about it.

looking at what we were spending on and making a budget helped a lot.  And every month I think in advance of what things we "need."  Like knowing we will be going away for a long weekend, or needing a present of some kind will help me determine what sort of no spend days I should allot for that month. 

It's self control, but for me that motivator has helped.

Anniversary
    novella1186hicoco
  • I packed a breakfast and lunch for myself on Sunday night.  I packed a breakfast and lunch for myself last night.  We went grocery shopping last night and pretty much only bought fresh fruits and veggies, sandwich meat and cheese, bread and tortillas (for wraps).  So far, so good.

On a website I love for online shopping, I've put some items in my cart, but haven't checked out.  I'm letting them sit while I decide if I really need them, or if they're just 'wants'.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards