Chit Chat

AW: I got married! w/a couple of pics

We did it! Saturday was our big day, and it went off with only a few tiny bumps (more on that below). Like everyone says, the day FLEW by. It was an incredibly busy weekend, and now I am back at work for three days before we head to Mexico.

Highlights: 

Our photographer. He is AMAZING. He put together a slideshow on his iPad of photos he took earlier in the day, so people could look at them. Everyone was in awe. This guy was running around all day (including chasing after the guys in golf carts while they were golfing), climbing on train cars... He captured some amazing shots, and we only saw a few of them! I cannot wait to see all the photos in 5-6 weeks. I'll be posting his photos here once we get them.

The bartenders, and our caterer, were just amazing. Super nice people, really attentive.

Father-daughter dance: My dad didn't know what song I picked (Will You Be There by Michael Jackson, we used to dance around the living room to it when I was a kid). His face the moment he realized what we were dancing to was priceless.

The weather was perfect! Low 80's, a slight breeze, and it cooled off to the 60s after sunset. (the reception was indoors, though, so I guess it didn't matter).

Our cake. H's mom is a mastermind. We gave her creative control, with the one caveat that we didn't want fondant, and she just went to town. Our photographer said it was one of the best cakes he has ever seen and photographed.

I'm MARRIED! It was a fabulous day, and a very busy weekend. It was super cute watching H fiddle with his wedding band all night; he's not a ring person, but I LOVE seeing the ring on his finger :) And people have told me that while you may think being married will feel the same as being engaged, it totally feels different - and they are right. It's pretty cool.

So, our few teensy speed bumps:

1. Our venue is right on the Union Pacific train track; because of national security, they do not make timetables available. RIGHT when the bridal party was lining up to walk in to the ceremony, I heard a train horn in the distance. My dad and I were standing there, cracking up, because it was literally the worst time a train could come. Luckily it was not super loud and didn't blast its horn right by the venue, and my dad (officiant) was mic'd and loud enough that it wasn't a problem. I actually thought it was pretty amusing, in an ironic sort of way.

2. We completely forgot to get mint and simple syrup for mint juleps, one of our three cocktails. The bartender came up to us at the start of cocktail hour to ask where they were, and H and I just looked at each other and said, "Oh, fuck." So they crossed it off the menu, and we went on with the party. We heard from BIL after that he just figured the mint juleps were so popular that they ran out quickly.

3. On Thursday night, H and I had a bunch of friends over after our bachelor/ette activities. One of our friend's dogs ate part of the chocolate layer of our cake, so MIL had to re-bake that layer on Friday. But at least it was only one layer, and not the whole thing!

And so we're done! Off to Mexico in 3 days, and I am SO looking forward to life getting back to normal after that. Photos attached, and I promise to post more when we get the professional ones back.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: AW: I got married! w/a couple of pics

• Congrats! I'm obsessed with your dress!

• I love the tea length dress on you! You looked so beautiful!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Congrats!! You both look so happy! Your venue looks really cool, is that a wine cellar?
    *********************************************************************************

• I love love love love your dress!!! You looked gorgeous, congrats! 
  • Congrats!! You both look so happy! Your venue looks really cool, is that a wine cellar?
    Thanks!

The venue is rad. It used to be a vegetable packing plant (hence its location on the Union Pacific). From the outside, it looks like an Elks lodge or something (kind of plain looking), but inside, the main floor is all exposed beams, twinkle lights, and wood floors. Downstairs, one area looks like a wine cellar (but it's not), then there's a bunch of vintage furniture, a jukebox, pool table, air hockey, foosball, and a groom's room with a bar that's made from the front of an old Cadillac. The top floor is the bridal suite, and it's all vintage furniture and old mirrors. All they do is weddings, and they had on-site coordinators, which was super helpful.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Congrats!  What a great dress!
  • Congratulations! You look beautiful and that dress is amazing!
  • How cute are you in that dress!  Love the short, retro look to it.  Congratulations!

SaveSave
  • Beautiful dress, and WOW that cake!

• Congrats! The tea-length dress totally suits you and that cake is something else! 

• What a neat venue! And seriously, that cake looks awesome!
  • If you could stop being so dang cute, that'd be great. 

That cake, though.  I'd just want it on display in my house.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • ...And now I just noticed your shoes.

STOP IT!

SaveSave
  • monkeysip said:
    ...And now I just noticed your shoes.

STOP IT!
    It took me SO long to find those shoes... I knew I needed something exceptionally cute and colorful, since everyone would be looking at them. They were actually pretty comfortable, too.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congrats! You - and everything/one else - look amazing!
  • Your dress is beautiful and your cake looks so yummy. Congratulations!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Thanks, all! I was a little concerned about the tea-length dress, and I wasn't sure what H would think when he saw it. When we did our first look, I asked him what he thought of the short dress. He looked at it and said "This is a short dress?" He suspected my dress may be "short", but I think he was envisioning a mini-skirt or something...

Looking back I cannot imagine wearing any other dress. I am trying to figure out how to re-purpose it, because I love it so much. Funny, though, because until the day of, I was kind of "meh" about it. I certainly liked it, but I didn't love it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • im crazy about your cake and your dress is amazing!!!!!!!!

• Congratulations!!  I love that brick background.  Such a pretty venue

• Gorgeous! So happy for you, can't wait to see all those pics in a few weeks xx
  • Love your Dress, LOVE the shoes...and my god, that cake is amazing!

Anniversary
  • Congratulations!!!

You're dress is amazing and the cake is killer! 

Did you have the birdcage veil down over your face during the ceremony, or no?

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Congratulations!!!

Sorry for the delay in responding - we just got back from our honeymoon a few days ago! Mexico is awesome, but I am SO glad to be back in non-humid weather...

The birdcage was not covering my face - it swept across my forehead a little, but that's it. H's cousin/hair stylist did my hair, and it was so secure, it literally didn't move all night. It took a few minutes to get the birdcage out of my hair at the end of the night, and a few minutes more to remove the 4 dozen bobby pins :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congratulations!!!

Sorry for the delay in responding - we just got back from our honeymoon a few days ago! Mexico is awesome, but I am SO glad to be back in non-humid weather...

The birdcage was not covering my face - it swept across my forehead a little, but that's it. H's cousin/hair stylist did my hair, and it was so secure, it literally didn't move all night. It took a few minutes to get the birdcage out of my hair at the end of the night, and a few minutes more to remove the 4 dozen bobby pins :)
    Oh Ok! Cool. I couldn't tell from the pictures if you just had it pulled back or not. It looks great! 

Glad you had fun on your honeymoon! :D

Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards