Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

How to preserve wedding cake?

So, I've been married a month as of today!! So fun!!

I was going through our freezer and decided to take a peek at the top tier of our cake that has been frozen by my mom and moved to our freezer 2 weeks ago. 

I unboxed it to find out it hasn't been wrapped. In anything. At all.

Can it be saved?

Everything I've read says to wrap it up in plastic wrap and foil and ziplock bags and none of that happened. 
Do I let it thaw a little and start wrapping? Do I wrap it while its frozen? Is it lost forever??

Help!!

Re: How to preserve wedding cake?

• Options
    Well I wouldn't thaw it and then freeze it again.  That will probably do more damage.  At this point I would wrap it up well with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil and then throw it in a freezer bag and just hope for the best.  If it doesn't taste great in a year it really isn't that big of a deal.

• Options
    I would not thaw and refreeze it.     As as a rule you should never freeze, thaw and then refreeze anything.

I can't help you on cake.  We didn't save ours.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Have you considered just eating it now to celebrate the first month of marriage? I've heard of people who save it for a year and I've never had anyone say it tasted good. I mean think about the last thing you ate that spent a year in the freezer... 

Personally I think if we do end up saving any we will eat it after the honeymoon and we can buy or make a small cake on our 1 year anniversary to eat then. More cake is never a bad thing IMO. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We didn't save ours - we ate our top tier the first month. 
  • Options
    My personal opinion, eat it now, or toss it. Then in a year go back to the bakery and have them make a small cake for you. That way it'll be fresh and probably taste more like the cake on your wedding day than the one covered in frost that was shoved in the back of your freezer under the tater tots and peas.
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    Have you considered just eating it now to celebrate the first month of marriage? I've heard of people who save it for a year and I've never had anyone say it tasted good. I mean think about the last thing you ate that spent a year in the freezer... 

Personally I think if we do end up saving any we will eat it after the honeymoon and we can buy or make a small cake on our 1 year anniversary to eat then. More cake is never a bad thing IMO. 

LOL - Ours still tasted good on our third anniversary!!!  BUT, 1) once we froze it as air-tight as we could, we left it alone in the deep freeze and only took the sections out as we were going to eat them.  2) we thawed the cake properly so it was just as moist.

OP - leave it frozen, so work quick...  Think about Pepperidge Farm cakes - those still stay just fine a year later in the freezer.  First, wrap it in the saran wrap (Cheap Walmart "Professional" brand works best of any brand), all directions to limit the cake's exposure to air.  Next, wrap it with aluminum foil...  Next, pack it in a corrugated cardboard box appropriately sized.  Tape up the box, put it back in the deep freeze...  Above these steps is the "how you thaw it" step when it comes your anniversary.  Take it out of the freezer a couple days in advance, remove from the box and allow to thaw in the fridge still covered.  Then an hour or two before you plan to serve it, take the saran wrap off and place it on the countertop to allow the icing to come to room temperature.

Really though, sometime when it's important to the two of you, just serve it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards