Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

HELP!!! Can I save my top Tier??

So, I've been married a month as of today!! So fun!!

I was going through our freezer and decided to take a peek at the top tier of our cake that has been frozen by my mom and moved to our freezer 2 weeks ago. 

I unboxed it to find out it hasn't been wrapped. In anything. At all.

Can it be saved?

Everything I've read says to wrap it up in plastic wrap and foil and ziplock bags and none of that happened. 
Do I let it thaw a little and start wrapping? Do I wrap it while its frozen? Is it lost forever??

Help!!

I can't find anything online.

Re: HELP!!! Can I save my top Tier??

• Well I wouldn't thaw it and then freeze it again.  That will probably do more damage.  At this point I would wrap it up well with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil and then throw it in a freezer bag and just hope for the best.  If it doesn't taste great in a year it really isn't that big of a deal.

• Realistically we'll probably just order a duplicate of our top tier for the one year, but it'd be fun to have this one too. 
    Thanks for the tip.  
  • Everyone I've ever known who did this said the year-old frozen cake tasted kind of dry and nasty, even if they followed the strictest protocols when they wrapped it up. For this reason H and I just froze one big slice so we could do the traditional thing on our one year but we won't feel too bad if most of it gets tossed in the garbage.

However, we put the rest of the top tier in the fridge, wrapped in plastic wrap, for the past 3+ weeks and have been eating small slices for dessert most nights. It's still pretty moist and tasty! So who knows, maybe this particular cake could have survived a year in the freezer after all!
  • Everyone I've ever known who did this said the year-old frozen cake tasted kind of dry and nasty, even if they followed the strictest protocols when they wrapped it up. For this reason H and I just froze one big slice so we could do the traditional thing on our one year but we won't feel too bad if most of it gets tossed in the garbage.

However, we put the rest of the top tier in the fridge, wrapped in plastic wrap, for the past 3+ weeks and have been eating small slices for dessert most nights. It's still pretty moist and tasty! So who knows, maybe this particular cake could have survived a year in the freezer after all!

This is what H and I did.  Well actually my Mom sliced up our top tier and wrapped each piece individually and put them in the freezer.  When H and I got back from our HM we would just grab a slice or two out of the freezer in the morning and eat it for dessert at night.  If there is cake in my house I will not be able to let it sit and possibly get disgusting for sake of tradition.  So on our first anniversary we went to the baker where we got our cupcakes/cake from and just bought 6 cupcakes.

• As a rule you should never freeze, thaw and then refreeze something.  

We didn't save our cake, so I can't help you there.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • We opted to just save a few slices. We just put them into a rubbermaid container & put them into the freezer. We took it out for our anniversary & got lucky, it actually stayed tasty
  • So after reading here and a few places elsewhere I've cut the top tier in half and put half in the fridge to have tonight. It's an anniversary, right? 
    I then wrapped the other half significantly and put it in the freezer. So at least we'll get to taste it now, and whether or not it is good in a year, we tried. Haha. 
  • just thawed our cake out last weekend for our one year. cake fell out of the aluminum foil and who knows where it went somewhere in the bottom of my parents deep freezer. 

our cake was a vanilla cake with chocolate mousse and buttercream on the outside one year later it had a lemon taste to it which is odd because no lemon anything was used in the original cake 

needless to say i took one taste with my finger and so did hubby and we threw it away.. 

• We didn't even look to see how ours was wrapped before putting it in the freezer... (plastic then fool then cake box)

When we had it for our anniversary, it was still delicious!
  • I wouldn't do it.  Cake is not intended to be stored at -20 for a year.

I know two couples who did, and they said that even though their top tier was wrapped up and sealed, it still ended tasting dried out, freezer burnt, and like a potpourri of all of the other shit they had stored in their freezer. . . salmon, crab cakes, lasagna, etc.

Many bakeries will  just make you a small replica cake on your anniversary as part of your wedding contract.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I agree with prettygirllost. check with your bakery and see if you can get a small cake for your 1 year. That's what our bakery does. They use buttercream, and according to them, it doesn't freeze well. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards