Chit Chat
Options

Matron troubles?

Re: Matron troubles?

• Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2015

I am wondering what the invitation etiquette is for the following situation?

I had my friend of over 20 years as my matron of honor. She had a baby recently and I think (I hope) is temperamental because of this. She has been causing drama and been just very hard to deal with since the start. She was giving my other bridesmaids trouble when planning the shower. Then she flipped out one day and said she didn't want to be in the bridal party anymore and never did anyway. She called me a bunch of bad names and even bad mouthed me to a few of the other maids. I was hoping she would have cooled off and come around after a few weeks but I still have not heard anything from her. We are suppose to send out our wedding invitations soon - should I still send her an invite? I am very annoyed by what she has done and the rest of the bridal party is very annoyed as well. I do not actually want her at the wedding bad mouthing me to other guests and ruining the day. I would like to still be proper in our decision. Do we send an invite or not?

If you remove her as a MOH you are effectively ending your friendship.  Is that what you want to do?  If you are ok with no longer having a relationship with her, go ahead and don't invite her.  If you want to try to salvage what you have, invite her and let her decide if she wants to come.
  • Options
    I'm a little annoyed that you titled this post Maid of Dishonor because your "friend" (in quotes, because you're not being a very  good one) just had a baby and is probably stressed and you think your wedding is the most important factor here. 

Have you checked with her to see how her life is going? Does she maybe have a little bit of postpartum depression going on?
  • Options
    It sounds like you're sitting around waiting to hear from her. Maybe you should make the first move and reach out to her. If this isn't normal behavior for her, she could have something going on. Like PP said, she could be dealing with postpartum depression, or any number of other things. 

Be a friend. Put your wedding aside and check in with her to see how she's doing. 

And then send the invitation and let her decide whether or not she wants to attend the wedding (assuming she has removed herself from being in your WP). 

Unless you're prepared to permanently end the friendship. In that case, don't invite her. And if she did talk about you at your wedding, it would not ruin your day. My own father trash-talked me to my bridesmaids at my wedding. They thought he was a psychotic asshole for doing so. Did not ruin my day one bit. I think it's a bit dramatic to say that something so petty would RUIN your wedding. 
  • Options
    yup i always keep in touch and have supported her life and choices all along. I have offered help and assistance from day one. My other bridesmaids have as well. postpartum - i am almost sure of but that doesn't give her the right to insult everyone and offend other maids. Very disrespectful.

The question is should she get an invite not about what the post is titled. 
  • Options

I think you should try to reach out to her and see what is going on with her.  Take your wedding out of it.  How often have you asked her about the baby and what is going on in her life compared to your wedding.  If this is your friend's first baby, she is going through a big change in her life and its a bigger change than you getting married.  Even adding additional children to a household can change its dynamic. 

If you don't ever want to speak to your friend again, then don't invite her. 

• Options

I am wondering what the invitation etiquette is for the following situation?

I had my friend of over 20 years as my matron of honor. She had a baby recently and I think (I hope) is temperamental because of this. She has been causing drama and been just very hard to deal with since the start. She was giving my other bridesmaids trouble when planning the shower. Then she flipped out one day and said she didn't want to be in the bridal party anymore and never did anyway. She called me a bunch of bad names and even bad mouthed me to a few of the other maids. I was hoping she would have cooled off and come around after a few weeks but I still have not heard anything from her. We are suppose to send out our wedding invitations soon - should I still send her an invite? I am very annoyed by what she has done and the rest of the bridal party is very annoyed as well. I do not actually want her at the wedding bad mouthing me to other guests and ruining the day. I would like to still be proper in our decision. Do we send an invite or not?

What I'm missing from the conversation is how YOU reached out to HER, as her friend, to see how she's doing with the baby. Your wedding is not the most important thing in her life. Perhaps you should put your friends before your wedding. Especially if you hope to stay friends afterwards.

• Options
    see i would be inclined to invite her but she removed herself and said she wanted no parts of the day - so if i send an invite i don't want it to look snide - it would have been a kindness
  • Options
    yup i always keep in touch and have supported her life and choices all along. I have offered help and assistance from day one. My other bridesmaids have as well. postpartum - i am almost sure of but that doesn't give her the right to insult everyone and offend other maids. Very disrespectful.

I have a hard time believing that first part. Anyway, people have already advised you on whether or not she should get an invite. 
  • Options
    I also agree your post title is inappropriate, and I don't care that you didn't ask for opinions on that. As for your question, yes, of course you send her an invitation, unless you are prepared to end the friendship. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

To answer your question - yes, she gets an invite. You asked her to participate in your wedding and unless you want to end your friendship, she gets an invite. She can then make the decision if she would like to still come and part a part of your day.
  • Options

Yeah her being possibly depressed should not be used as an excuse to lash out at you, but generally when you (general you) are depressed or upset you tend to take it out on the people who are nearest and dearest to you.  So she got super pissed and called you a few names.  She lashed out at your other BMs.  So instead of trying to talk to her to tell her that what she said hurt you and to see what may have caused the outburst you instead want to uninvite her from your wedding?  I really don't see anything that she did that would cause you to basically end the friendship.

So why not take the wedding out of the equation and just talk to your friend.  Tell her that you are upset and why.  Ask her what may be going on for her to be acting like this if this behavior is not normal.  Your friend may actually have PTSD and if so could explain why she is acting the way she has.  Or maybe there is something else.  Sometimes you have to be the bigger person and take the first step rather then waiting around for her to apologize.

• Options
    Yes, you should send her an invitation. And also stop being a bad friend.
  • Options
    I want to know what she did that is causing your opinions of her.   I can't give you any kind of opinion until you go into further detail. 
  • Options

see i would be inclined to invite her but she removed herself and said she wanted no parts of the day - so if i send an invite i don't want it to look snide - it would have been a kindness

If she is suffering from postpartum depression, her acting "very disrespectful" of your BMs and you, could be a sign of her needing help.  There are many different things that go on with postpartum depression.  My BFF had it with her first son and it can manifest in different ways.  Mental illnesses (even temporary) don't always allow the sufferer to know what they are doing fully or might not allow them to see a bigger picture.

• Options
    See i did i reached out and called her and said why don't we talk she said there was nothing to discuss and that she didn't care about the wedding at all
  • Options
    See i did i reached out and called her and said why don't we talk she said there was nothing to discuss and that she didn't care about the wedding at all

Okay, when you reached out, what exactly did you say? 
  • Options
    I have baby sat for her in the past. this is her 3rd child not her first. I had not even mentioned the wedding to her since February when we got engaged. She has in fact said people without kids have no lives and theirs do not matter
  • Options
    her baby is now 7 months old. i have cooked numerous meals, baby sat so she can go out to zumba, cleaned her house and even came down in the middle of the night when she said she was having  a melt down. I never once mentioned the wedding. I took her 6 and 4 year old to the moves to give her a break and have listen to her complain for hours on the phone. 
  • Options
    her baby is now 7 months old. i have cooked numerous meals, baby sat so she can go out to zumba, cleaned her house and even came down in the middle of the night when she said she was having  a melt down. I never once mentioned the wedding. I took her 6 and 4 year old to the moves to give her a break and have listen to her complain for hours on the phone. 
    What was she having a meltdown about? This is more evidence that she's going through something and needs a supportive friend. 
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    emmaaa said:
    I have baby sat for her in the past. this is her 3rd child not her first. I had not even mentioned the wedding to her since February when we got engaged. She has in fact said people without kids have no lives and theirs do not matter
    Women can suffer from postpartum depression whether it is their first child or their tenth. That has no effect on her mental state. 
    That or maybe having 3 kids is slightly overwhelming her which is causing her to lash out.

• Options
    Stop making this harder then it  needs to be.  If you want to retain the relationship send her the damn invite.   If you don't, then don't.

Personally I would send the invite, let the cards fall where they will and move on.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    when i called her i said look we have been friends since high school we are like sisters - talk to me whats going on? Are you ok? She said she didn't have the time for old friends and that people without kids have no life. I said you are upset i get that but lets not lose a friendship. If the stress of the bridal party was too much just talk to me you don't need to curse and call people names. that's when she said there was nothing to discuss. 
    I did talk to her hubby and see what he thought - he said she had been stressed lately but seemed fine accept with me and her one cousin - she appraently got mad at her cousin as well.
  • Options
    And here's your problem. The wedding should never have been mentioned in this conversation.

I say don't invite her. Obviously you don't give a shit about her. In her present condition, she needs friends who do care about her. 
  • Options
    i did not kick her out of my party actually the opposite she said she didn't want to be in it. My mom said if i send an invite it would be tacky like i was asking for a gift which i am so not. I just didn't want any more feathers ruffled 
  • Options
    i did not kick her out of my party actually the opposite she said she didn't want to be in it. My mom said if i send an invite it would be tacky like i was asking for a gift which i am so not. I just didn't want any more feathers ruffled 
    No, actually it will look like you are trying to salvage a friendship.

But the main question here is... Do you want to try and save this friendship or are you done?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards