Chit Chat
Options

Fall anniversary trip

Hi all! DH and I are considering taking a trip to celebrate our one year anniversary in October. We love the great outdoors, so I have been looking at places that are supposed to have great fall foliage. Places I have been looking at so far are the Catskills, NY; Columbia River Gorge, OR; and the Great Smokeys. Has anyone been to any of these parks? Any other recommendations? We'd be traveling from Texas and would probably take between 4-7 days depending on the trip.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Fall anniversary trip

• Options
    Come to Colorado! When is your anniversary? The fall folliage is usually the prettiest the last week of Sept/first week of October.
  • Options
    Colorado would be nice! I've only ever been to Breckenridge for skiing. Our anniversary is Oct 25th but I'd be open to doing a week before/after.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    I recommend the White Mountain National Forest, New Hampshire. Last week of September - first week of October is usually the peak. There is fantastic hiking, camping, boating. Here are some photos:

ETA: Lakes region, just south of the White Mountains, has great foliage into late October - another fantastic option.

• Options
    Come to Colorado! When is your anniversary? The fall folliage is usually the prettiest the last week of Sept/first week of October.
    That is what I was going to suggest.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Colorado and would never diss it - but foliage in New England is consistently rated the best in the country by tourist boards. The Catskills are similar and could probably rival it. The mix of tree types (especially the sugar maples and red maples) plus the climate provide for an ideal display. I have a cousin who lives in Colorado but comes to visit New England every fall specifically for the foliage.
  • Options
    I think the Catskills are pretty past peak in October.  My engagement photos were around October 4 I believe and that was the absolute last decent weekend.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Definitely go to the Catskills! H and I live in Western NY and took a mini-moon to the Adirondacks after our wedding. I thought I had great leaf peeping in my part of the state but the Adirondacks was unbelievable. Colors like I've never seen before. I've heard amazing things about the Catskills as well. Agree with @redheadbride15,  NY/New England consistently have some of the best rated fall foliage and leaf peeping opportunities. 
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Jackson Hole, WY?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've been to the Smokies in the fall a few times. It's beautiful, and not that expensive. Since it's further south, mid-late October is more of the ideal time. September is still almost summer. 

We usually rent a cabin near Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge. It's perfect to hike during the day, then get dinner out or cook at home, and have a fire at night.
  • Options
    Agree with @MyNameIsNot that the Smokies are a good option if you're really set on a late October trip because the best foliage in New England and the Catskills will be passed by then, though there are parts of MA and CT that are also beautiful around then (not quite as picturesque though because they're more populated areas). Otherwise I'd recommend the first or second weeks of October. If you go to a mountainous area (White Mountains, Catskills, Smokies) there will be more variety (colors change earlier at higher elevations).

As a general rule in the northeast, the peak is later the further south and toward the coast you go.
    Upstate NY/Catskills, northern NH and VT - late September to early October
    Most of NH and Maine - early to mid October
    Southern NH including Lakes Region, southern Maine - mid October
    Southern New England (MA, CT) - late October

Here are some websites to help:
    http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peak-foliage-forecast-map/
    http://www.stormfax.com/foliagemap.htm
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

Jackson Hole, WY?

I love Jackson in the fall. Although, I love Jackson pretty much year round.

• Options
    I second New England! I grew up in NH and live in Boston and the foliage up here is just amazing in the fall. On the edge of White Mountain National Forest is North Conway, NH and a road called the Kancamagus Highway.. amazing, amazing views and if you happen to camp around there the stars are just amazing at night.

• Options
    These are all really great suggestions. Good thing it's a slow day at work. I've got some planning to do!

• Options
    peachy13peachy13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    As a native New Englander... yay come here for beautiful foliage! You have the Berkshires in Western MA, white mountain area (North Conway, NH), and Burlington, VT. All very beautiful and cozy. If you do decide on NY, the catskills and adirondacks are lovely too.

ETA: Acadia National Park in Maine. Soooo pretty.

• Options
    I have to vote for the gorge. Not only do you get fall foliage, you get a lot of waterfalls and good hiking and Edgefield.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    For some reason, I keep wanting to go back to Mammoth Caves in Kentucky. I think that'd be pretty around the time you're going. 

Or Great Smoky Mountains nat'l park. I've also heard good things about George Washington & Jefferson National Forest in VA but I've never been. Around the time of year you're going, it seems like the colors would be prime, but I'd google it first.

Tell us what you decide on! 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    The fall colors in New England is unmissable! I'm sure that the fall foliage will make your fall anniversary extra dreamy and memorable, especially with your breathtaking photos!
  • Options
    ginnybinny17ginnybinny17 member
    First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015

Highly highly highly recommend the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia.  Perisberg and Blacksburg in particular can be absolutely stunning in the fall.  Not to mention all the wineries!

ETA: taking a drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the fall is AMAZING.

• Options
    Thanks again everyone for the suggestions. Since we are wanting to go towards mid-end of October, we decided on the Smokey Mountains since it sounds like the color there will be prime. Actually I think this has turned into a bit of a road trip. We are discussing flying into Memphis, driving to Nashville, visiting the Smokies, driving to Asheville (via the Blue Ridge Pkwy), and ending in Charleston. The plan is to do this in 8 days. Are we crazy?!

• Options
    I would end in Ashville instead of Charleston. That segment is quite a drive and I'd want more than a day in Charleston, or no time at all if they're still flying the confederate flag.
  • Options
    I would also end in Asheville - it's super fun and there's no reason to drive any further. Especially if you only have 8 days from start to finish.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    There isn't much between Memphis and Nashville... are you wanting to go to graceland?
    I drove Nashville to Memphis a few tears ago and was surprised how long and boring the drive. As you probably have heard, graceland is also underwhelming.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

luckya23 said:
    There isn't much between Memphis and Nashville... are you wanting to go to graceland? I drove Nashville to Memphis a few tears ago and was surprised how long and boring the drive. As you probably have heard, graceland is also underwhelming.
    Not looking into Graceland specifically - just seems like there is more to do in Memphis. But maybe it's so similar to Nashville that we don't need to do both?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards