Wedding Etiquette Forum

All grass venue - let guests know?

Our wedding is at a winery and is all grass. The only part that is not grass is the patio (where the buffet and then dancing will be), and the tasting room (where the restrooms are, and where the ceremony will be if it rains). As long as the weather is nice, the ceremony will be on grass, and regardless of weather the reception will be on grass under a tent.
I know it's rude to dictate what guests should wear, that's not what I'm trying to do. Would it be perceived as rude to put something on our website along the lines of "our venue is all grass, so while heels are allowed, we don't recommend them"? Obviously I need help making it sound nicer.
The winery is OOT for all guests, and just guessing that only about 2% of our guests have even heard of this winery.
Do, or don't? I don't want to come off as rude, just helpful!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: All grass venue - let guests know?

• You could just make sure the website is clear that the venue is outside - and spread by word of mouth for shoe choice.  I sent texts around to the ladies beforehand - "hey ladies - so you have the info for shoe choice - the ceremony and reception are on grass.  Can't wait to see you!"
  • I think it's fine to mention that the terrain for the ceremony and reception will be on grass.  But I wouldn't make recommendations about footwear.
  • My ceremony was on grass, and I just stated that on our website. Since the entire wedding was outdoors, we did make use of the "what to wear" page that was included with the TK website to just say that there will be no AC and the ceremony is on grass. No actual mention of a dress code, though.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Thanks for the tips! 
    I don't want to dictate what people wear, I trust my friends and family to dress appropriately :) 
    I'm using a different website (not Knot), so I'll see if I can find a good place on there to mention it is outdoors and grass covered.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    We spread the word through word of mouth that ceremony was on grass so no one would be surprised. They could then decide what they wanted to wear. To be honest I didn't pay attention to anyone's footwear so I have no idea if women wore flats or wedges or heels
  • kvruns said:
    We spread the word through word of mouth that ceremony was on grass so no one would be surprised. They could then decide what they wanted to wear. To be honest I didn't pay attention to anyone's footwear so I have no idea if women wore flats or wedges or heels
    I know for a fact myself, my mother, and my BMs all wore stiletto heels, despite the grassy venue. I mean, adults know whether they can handle walking in heels on grass or not. I have no clue what anyone else wore, but I know that we never had to call any medical professionals in so I assume everyone knew what they were doing!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• If you can add it to your website, awesome, if not, try to get pass the info on via email & word of mouth. Or as another PP said, send an email with an fyi. If I were an OOT guest, I would appreciate the info because then that would mean the heels would be staying at home & instead I would pack some flats. Heck not having to pack heels leaves me more room for other stuff...lol.
  • I would just stare that the ceremony and reception will be taking place on the grass. You don't need to mention anything about heels and that not being the best choice. Just provide the information and let your guests determine the best shoe choice for them.
    This. Our ceremony was on grass and I just put on the website that it would be outdoors, weather permitting. That way people could decide for themselves what to wear. A few ladies texted me to confirm that they may have to walk on grass so they could choose their shoes accordingly. No big deal. 
  • I think you should definitely tell your guests. No need to put it on the invite, but please stress it. This happened to me today. The bride and groom did not mention that their wedding was on a grass field, that their venue had a ton of hills and rocks to climb through and that the ceremony/reception were being held on different parts of the grounds.

It would have saved me a lot of trouble and an expensive pair of shoes if someone had said something. About 90% of the female guests were in heels and upset.
  • I would definitely mention on the website that the wedding will be outside and on grass. I would put it on the attire part, and say something like you did- "The ceremony and reception will held outside so heels are not recommended".
  • I would definitely mention on the website that the wedding will be outside and on grass. I would put it on the attire part, and say something like you did- "The ceremony and reception will held outside so heels are not recommended".
    Mention the site (ie outdoors on grass), but no need to recommend what guests should and shouldn't wear.  They're adults - treat them as such and trust they have some common sense.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards