Moms and Maids

Hair and make-up.... how much is too much?

Hair is $135 and make-up is $85.  The stylist will only do blowouts, and for makeup we are responsible for bringing most of the make-up with us....As a bridesmaid, can I pick one service and having the other done on my own? Thanks.

Re: Hair and make-up.... how much is too much?

• So you have to pay $135 for one style that you might not even want, and you have to pay $85 for non-professional products?

You can absolutely pick one or the other or neither.  If someone is making it mandatory, I'd quash that really quick.  You get to choose what you spend your own money on.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I'm sorry, I must have read that incorrectly... $135 for a BLOWOUT?! Meaning no updo, curls, styling, etc? And $85 for the application of your own products? Talk about getting ripped off! And I live in Jersey where the prices for beauty services are sky high, yet for those prices it would be top-notch and all-inclusive. I would ask if you can have your hair done at a salon of your choice (prior, so as not to interfere with the bride's timeline for the day) and do your own makeup (or have it done at the salon).
  • Thanks for the feedback ladies. Hopefully I won't offend the bride.
  • As a bridesmaid, you can pick neither and save yourself $220 + tip + bringing your own make up.

My bridal make up and hair (up do) were less than that and I didn't have to bring any of my own supplies. Are you in NYC or something? 

That's ridiculous and I would just do my own hair and make up. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Hair is $135 and make-up is $85.  The stylist will only do blowouts, and for makeup we are responsible for bringing most of the make-up with us....As a bridesmaid, can I pick one service and having the other done on my own? Thanks.
    Those prices are crazy for the services being offered.  If those were my options, I would have my hair done at my own salon and meet the bride at whatever time she wants.  I typically do my own makeup, but for $85 and using my own products, you better believe I wouldn't be spending that!  Even if the stylist is coming to you, those prices are crazy.
  • That makes me laugh.  I don't own makeup, not a stitch. If I was getting professional makeup done, I would HAVE to use the makeup artists stuff because I don't own any of my own.  Hilarious!
  • Whoa, that is crazy expensive. The last wedding I did (about 3 years ago), the typical rate was $75 for bridesmaids and the artist provided all the products unless there was something specific the person wanted to wear.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• $135???????????  No, thanks.
  • I paid less than that on my wedding day!

$135 for a blow out!? LOL

Bride is way out of line if she requires this.  She should be paying for hair and makeup if she demands you do it.  I offered to pay for hair and makeup for my bridesmaids and even then most of them wanted to do their own make up.

It is your money-- bride does not dictate how you spend it.

Anniversary
  • That's insane.

I would say "hell no" and do your own hair and make up. I can't even.
  • Thanks everyone!!
  • @Knottie80087608 You can't come in here with just a "Thanks everyone!".  We need to know what crazy cakes bridezilla said!!!!  Did you tell her that you were doing your hair and makeup on your own?
  • She never said a word. I replied to her email and said I'd be doing my own hair/make-up.
  • $85.00 for make-up and you have to supply your own make-up? Yeah that seems a bit much. The make-up artist I'm using is charging us $40.00, and she's supplying the make-up. I'd suggest the bride have a conversation with her stylist and make-up artist, or shop around some more.
  • It may have already been suggested but you could always find other options for the bride. My original hair and make up combined was going to be $120 a girl and I knew it was too much and my bridesmaids agreed so I asked them to help find someone less expensive and as it turns out a bridesmaids cousins girlfriend does hair and make up on the side and it is costing $50 a girl for hair and make up! So maybe ask her if you can make suggestions before actually making a suggestion. But yet the cost is outrageous! I am VERY picky up hair and make up and I as the bride wouldn't even pay that much!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards