Chit Chat

Annoying tourists (today's whining)

2»

Re: Annoying tourists (today's whining)

• I travel in & out of North Station in Boston.  I have decided they need to make a rule - no tourists, sporting events or concerts between the hours of 8-10am and 4-7pm.

Too many people wandering around who can't get out of their own damn way.  Move, I'm trying to catch a flippin train!
    Haha, try depending on the Green Line when the Red Sox are playing... (which is like every other day from April through October, I'll point out).

I know exactly what you mean, I take the Greenline to/from my office from North Station.

Oh, I pity you - Red Sox, Celtics, and concert crowds!!! Oh, also, can I mention how much the college kids in this town drive me crazy when I'm trying to get from point A to point B?!?!? I'm an Orange Line girl these days, which is a wonderful relief after years on the Red Line and then the Green Line.
    Don't forget the Bruins!  Unfortunately, I also live in a tourist town, so I can't even get away from it at home.  April-November are the worst.
    Salem I'm guessing from your "Witch City" :) Been there a few times, including once on Halloween (never again!). I do find this bookstore among the most fascinating places I'd ever been, however:

• Heffalump said:
    emmaaa said:

She also said, "Good girl" when I opened the door for her. Who says that to a 24 year old? Who says that to anyone other than a toddler or a dog?
    When I hired an extra lifeguard for DD's pool party, the woman at the pool management company actually said, over the phone, "YAAAAAAAAY, you!"  I was <this> close to hanging up.
    I was so taken aback I didn't even respond. And I KNOW this lady did not mean to be condescending because her camp is for 3-6 year olds but STILL. Good girl? Yay you! What in the world?

• Salem I'm guessing from your "Witch City" :) Been there a few times, including once on Halloween (never again!). I do find this bookstore among the most fascinating places I'd ever been, however:

Salem would be correct.  Yes, Halloween is insane, especially when it falls on Friday or Saturday nights, like this year.

Unfortunately, Derby St. Books is gone.  It is a new bookstore and you wouldn't even recognize the place.

• While I am super excited that tomorrow is a day off, mid week stat holidays are brutal. Seriously. I have to come back to work for two more days?

I hear you. I almost took Thursday and Friday off too. 
  • ChemFanatic25ChemFanatic25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    On another note, I'm now listening to "Undisclosed" thanks to OP and greatly enjoying it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • On another note, I'm now listening to "Undisclosed" thanks to OP and greatly enjoying it.

I just downloaded it. I am looking forward to listening to it on my commute home.
  • I took my scooter in for work this morning and went over to the Subway for breakfast.  They were out of flat bread so the Sandwich Artist told me "we don't have flatbread until tomorrow so you're going to pick a different bread now".  She also called me "honey" the entire time which rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.  

I also decided it would be a great idea to smash a turbo javelin into my nose/forehead yesterday so now my face hurts and I'm waiting for the red mark on my nose to turn into a bruise and drain down into 2 black eyes.  However, today is the official beginning of my summer vacation (until I start Uni next week), so I am sitting back with my book, some chocolate and doing SFA all day

• Salem I'm guessing from your "Witch City" :) Been there a few times, including once on Halloween (never again!). I do find this bookstore among the most fascinating places I'd ever been, however:

Salem would be correct.  Yes, Halloween is insane, especially when it falls on Friday or Saturday nights, like this year.

Unfortunately, Derby St. Books is gone.  It is a new bookstore and you wouldn't even recognize the place.
    Oh no! I suppose it did seem like a bit of a liability with all those stacks of books to the ceiling leaning precariously over everyone's heads. Also, we were in there browsing for like an hour and they didn't sell a single book in that time frame (probably because the books at the check-out counter were piled so high that the customers couldn't see the cashier).

Oh no! I suppose it did seem like a bit of a liability with all those stacks of books to the ceiling leaning precariously over everyone's heads. Also, we were in there browsing for like an hour and they didn't sell a single book in that time frame (probably because the books at the check-out counter were piled so high that the customers couldn't see the cashier).
    Actually, they closed because the owners wanted to retire after 30 years.  It was very popular with locals and the tourists usually got a kick out of the "HOLY SHIT" stacks.  I used to buy books in there all the time.  Anything stacked was 50% off cover and they would order new for you at 20% off.  Great deals and really good for finding older/out of print stuff.  The new owners actually took on a lot of their inventory and are slowly selling it at a discount along with all the new stuff. It's called Wicked Good Books now.

• arrippa said:

On another note, I'm now listening to "Undisclosed" thanks to OP and greatly enjoying it.

I just downloaded it. I am looking forward to listening to it on my commute home.

If you have a long commute, also check out "Crime Writers on Serial"- also interesting.
  • On another note, I'm now listening to "Undisclosed" thanks to OP and greatly enjoying it.

If you have a long commute, also check out "Crime Writers on Serial"- also interesting.
    I love you . . .
  • My office is literally on the Freedom Trail (the path through Boston that takes you by many of the historical places to see), so the area around my workplace is full of tourists almost all year round, although it's worse during the summer.  I actually don't mind giving directions or answering questions--it makes me feel helpful, I enjoy being an ambassador for the city, and I like to counteract the asshole reputation that Bostonians (sometimes deservedly) have.  I want people to leave Boston with a good impression of the city and its inhabitants.

But for the love of pepper, please ASK, do not DEMAND, directions.  And use common sense--if I look like I'm trying to get somewhere in a hurry, I probably am, and another person may be better suited to answer your question (like perhaps one of the numerous people in the bright orange Boston Tourism Commission shirts who are around and employed for the sole purpose of helping you out.)  A quick thank you afterwards goes a long way as well.  Also, please don't get mad at me if I can't give you exact directions to the esoteric little street over two miles away that you're trying to get to (it's happened more than once.) 

I actually find the solicitors with clipboards that we consistently have outside the office to be way more annoying than the tourists.  Dude, I have a sandwich in one hand and a blackberry in the other.  Do I look like I have 20 minutes for you to convince me to donate to whatever terrible charity you are promoting?

• MrsMack10612MrsMack10612 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2015
    My office is literally on the Freedom Trail (the path through Boston that takes you by many of the historical places to see), so the area around my workplace is full of tourists almost all year round, although it's worse during the summer.  I actually don't mind giving directions or answering questions--it makes me feel helpful, I enjoy being an ambassador for the city, and I like to counteract the asshole reputation that Bostonians (sometimes deservedly) have.  I want people to leave Boston with a good impression of the city and its inhabitants.

But for the love of pepper, please ASK, do not DEMAND, directions.  And use common sense--if I look like I'm trying to get somewhere in a hurry, I probably am, and another person may be better suited to answer your question (like perhaps one of the numerous people in the bright orange Boston Tourism Commission shirts who are around and employed for the sole purpose of helping you out.)  A quick thank you afterwards goes a long way as well.  Also, please don't get mad at me if I can't give you exact directions to the esoteric little street over two miles away that you're trying to get to (it's happened more than once.) 

I actually find the solicitors with clipboards that we consistently have outside the office to be way more annoying than the tourists.  Dude, I have a sandwich in one hand and a blackberry in the other.  Do I look like I have 20 minutes for you to convince me to donate to whatever terrible charity you are promoting?

Stupid Boxes:
    I always seem to run into these people when I'm on my way to the T and generally rushing so I don't miss my commuter train.

• My office is literally on the Freedom Trail (the path through Boston that takes you by many of the historical places to see), so the area around my workplace is full of tourists almost all year round, although it's worse during the summer.  I actually don't mind giving directions or answering questions--it makes me feel helpful, I enjoy being an ambassador for the city, and I like to counteract the asshole reputation that Bostonians (sometimes deservedly) have.  I want people to leave Boston with a good impression of the city and its inhabitants.

I used to work at Boston Children's Hospital, and people from the "Save the Children" charity always used to solicit outside. I go so sick of being accosted by them after working a long shift and once I came very close to screaming: "What the hell do you think I've been doing for the past 30 rotten hours?!?!? Now let me go home and go to bed in peace!"

Avoid eye contact. People leave you alone if you do this. Sure, I might get called an masshole, but it's so worth it. I usually walk right by them on Winter St.
  • ashtsbashtsb member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    Today I had some guy calling across the road to me telling me I would get hit if I wasn't careful and then I saw my old boss and she commented it looked like I gained weight.

I think she was fishing to see if I was pregnant (which I'm not). I thought it was incredibly rude and just said "Yup gained a few pounds bye!"

Some people just let words run right out of their mouth I think.
  • I'm annoyed because I had to drive to a job interview through a flash flood.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards