September 2015 Weddings

Dress Fitting and Alterations tonight!!

So...with less than 70 days to go, it's finally time to have my dress altered!!!  It will be the first time for some of my immediate family members to see the entire ensemble, so I'm pretty excited!  For those of you who may have already had alterations, how much did you end up spending or how much do you forsee spending?  They gave me an estimate for about $200 to have my dress hemmed and a bustle put in. 

Re: Dress Fitting and Alterations tonight!!

• Enjoy your fitting!  I've had two now and it is great to put on your dress and imagine yourself on your wedding day.  My dress needs a lot of alterations due to my weight loss.  I am paying approximately $750. That includes the hem, beading, bustle, and I am having a birdcage veil made for me.  

Love is the ultimate superpower.   
    It can make you weak and strong simultaneously.  

• Have fun! I go to pick up my dress for the final fitting next week and I'm so excited! My alterations were $420 which included the hem, bustle, and sewing in a belt.
  • tj&cwtj&cw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I have another month before I have to go in for my alterations =)....still losing some weight and then they will put a bustle in my dress....not sure how much it is going to cost. I am excited for you all! Cant believe we are getting this close to the actual date!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited July 2015

tj&cw said:
    I have another month before I have to go in for my alterations =)....still losing some weight and then they will put a bustle in my dress....not sure how much it is going to cost. I am excited for you all! Cant believe we are getting this close to the actual date!!

This!!!  I can't believe my date is in 65 days (September 5th)!  It kind of hit home when we got our first rsvp cards back!

• My first dress fitting is next week!!

I know my alterations are going to be expensive because I am super short and need it to be hemmed and it has several layers. It's also about a size too big (yay!) and need a bustle and cups put in.
  • @SoontobeMrsKlein I'm super short as well so I hear ya!  Good luck!!!

• The boutique that I purchased my dress from gave me the name of a lady they send a lot of their customers to.  I was worried because the boutique was very pricey so I was preparing myself for an expensive alterations bill.  I'm only 5'1 and I'm not wearing heals with my dress...so it had to be shortened a lot, taken in a lot because I've lost a lot of weight and she is making me a custom veil.  Total cost is $193!!  I somehow lucked out on this one.  And she does a 2nd alteration, if needed, for free.  I go tomorrow for my "final" fitting but she is holding the dress for me and will do one more check in a little closer to the wedding...I'm 71 days out.  EEK!!
  • CourtC77CourtC77 member
    First Answer First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    I had the first of three fittings the other night. It was great to see my whole look coming together and I absolutely love my seamstress. I was really nervous about the alterations process and handing my dress over but now I know it's in good hands. I am getting the dress hemmed, taken in at the bust and waist line, a bustle put in, cups put in and my belt sewed on - the total cost is $375 which I thought was very reasonable. I'm looking forward to my next appointment to see the progress!
  • Had my alterations on Saturday. Cost me a freaking arm and a leg 550$!!!! My dress was only 650$ to begin with....

I had to get it taken in several inches, cups put in and the bust altered to fit, hemmed like crazy because I am only 5' tall. It has 7 layers, so each layer was another charge. And then there was a pretty complicated bustle too.

While expensive, this lady seemed pretty knowledgable and the dress looked fantastic all pinned
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    My dress is head to toe all one piece lace so to hem it alone is $250.  I tried to get away from it by ordering a petite size, but we figured I'd have to wear 5" heels to make that work, and I don't want to wear 5" heels for that long, and I'd be taller than FI.  My total alterations bill, which is adding bra cups since the dress is sheer in the back, and some other tweaks here and there, and including the steaming/pressing, is almost $650 :(

Probably could have had it done cheaper elsewhere but I don't have the time to go find another seamstress so I used the one in-store.  I go back next week for my 2nd fitting, and hopefully we'll be good!
    Married 9.12.15
  • I had my dress fitting on Saturday.  Was shocked that the weight I lost worked well with the dress and with my shoes there is no need to hem the dress.  I paid $110 for alterations.  That included taking a blue shirt of my dad (who recently passed) and sewing a heart in the dress.  It will serve as my something blue as well.  The bustle was already done with this dress and she only had to add two more hooks.

When I bought the dress at the end of December she had thought the alterations would be about $700.  

Lucky me!
  • Alterations are so expensive..
    I just had my fitting last night and it costed almost $400.
    I had cups sewn in, a bustle, my belt sewn onto the dress, and I had to change my zipper back into a corset back. Luckily the hem was perfect and didn't need to be altered at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards