Wedding Reception Forum

Wedding venue doesn't do announcements

We are having a small wedding, about 30 guests. We are having the ceremony outside, then afterwards will be a cocktail hour, while we take pictures. The photographer (who knows the venue well) says pictures wont take an hour and that we will be able to join our guests during cocktail hour.Is it typical for the bride and groom to be in the cocktail hour? 

Since our venue doesn't do announcements and we don't have a DJ, I guess we will be skipping the announcements? Do we just walk into the cocktail hour and join our guests. I always liked the idea of being announced as we join back with our guests, but I have no idea who would do it.

Re: Wedding venue doesn't do announcements

• We are having a small wedding, about 30 guests. We are having the ceremony outside, then afterwards will be a cocktail hour, while we take pictures. The photographer (who knows the venue well) says pictures wont take an hour and that we will be able to join our guests during cocktail hour.Is it typical for the bride and groom to be in the cocktail hour? 

Since our venue doesn't do announcements and we don't have a DJ, I guess we will be skipping the announcements? Do we just walk into the cocktail hour and join our guests. I always liked the idea of being announced as we join back with our guests, but I have no idea who would do it.

Will your officiant be attending the reception (presumably s/he and his/her SO are invited)?  If so, you might ask him/her to do the announcements if you think they're important.  Or ask another person to whom you are close to do it.

Or skip announcements.  They are not required.  If you finish with your photos before cocktail hour is over, by all means rejoin your guests.  Cocktail hour is held for the purpose of providing hospitality to your guests while you, your FI, your families, and your wedding party take photos immediately after your ceremony.

• Yes, the officiant will be attending the reception, that is a good idea. I will keep that one in mind. We don't have to have the announcement, just thought it would be nice and kind of flow things together in a way?
  • Yes, the officiant will be attending the reception, that is a good idea. I will keep that one in mind. We don't have to have the announcement, just thought it would be nice and kind of flow things together in a way?
    It's one of those nice optional things to do if you want to.
  • Honestly, with only 30 people, I find the idea of being announced a little silly.  Making announcements seems like a good way to get a group of say 150 people mingling in a very large room not paying much attention to say "Hey, the bride and groom just got here so pay attention and get yourselves in order because the official reception is starting now."  Having someone announce your presence to a relatively intimate group of 30 seems like overkill to me.

I personally say just have your officiant announce you as Mr. and Mrs. at the end of the ceremony to satisfy that need of being officially introduced to people as that and leave it that. 
  • jacques27 said:
    Honestly, with only 30 people, I find the idea of being announced a little silly.  Making announcements seems like a good way to get a group of say 150 people mingling in a very large room not paying much attention to say "Hey, the bride and groom just got here so pay attention and get yourselves in order because the official reception is starting now."  Having someone announce your presence to a relatively intimate group of 30 seems like overkill to me.

I personally say just have your officiant announce you as Mr. and Mrs. at the end of the ceremony to satisfy that need of being officially introduced to people as that and leave it that. 

Another good point. Thank you!
  • We just walked in. I never really see the need for the announcing anyway. I can take it or leave it.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • jacques27 said:
    Honestly, with only 30 people, I find the idea of being announced a little silly.  Making announcements seems like a good way to get a group of say 150 people mingling in a very large room not paying much attention to say "Hey, the bride and groom just got here so pay attention and get yourselves in order because the official reception is starting now."  Having someone announce your presence to a relatively intimate group of 30 seems like overkill to me.

When my cousin and his new wife walked into the reception, a few people noticed and started clapping.  No announcement, but everyone noticed.
  • You have 30 people, I do not think you need annoucments.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Yes, by all means join the party as soon as you can.  These are your nearest and dearest friends and family all there to celebrate for you and with you!   They witnessed your wedding ceremony, at which time the surprise (what you were wearing, etc...) happened, so from that point on, never feel you have to hide from your guests.  

Join in as soon as you can/want to.  Hugs and possibly applause all around as soon as you do.

With that said - if you really have your heart set on an announcement into the party - ask an outgoing friend to be there to clink a glass, and then make a fun announcement!  

You can't go wrong here.  have fun with it, and do what seems right to you and your hubby!

• We had about 150 guests, and our officiant did a big, "announcement" at the end of the ceremony. Then we took pics and just joined the cocktail hour about halfway through (it was a space on the 2nd floor overlooking the reception space). Everyone standing near the elevator we came down clapped or cheered a bit and hugged us, and we just started mingling. Then as cocktail hour ended we were one of the last ones (but definitely not the last) to make our way downstairs and take our seats at our table. We had a "welcome toast" by our parents as soon as everyone was seated.

Announcements always seem odd to me...you're "announced" as married during the ceremony. And everyone you invite knows who you are. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards