Attire & Accessories Forum

Corset over wedding gown? Themed wedding and fried brain

Hi, y'all! So, my wedding is this November, Friday the 13th, and the theme of our wedding is Steampunk. I've posted a picture of my wedding gown (I'm a size 18W, though I'm hoping to drop a dress size or two by the time my gown is delivered, cross your fingers I reach that goal!) and was wondering how you all think it would look with a Steampunk corset over it. I have a corset that I am planning on turning into an underbust (it's currently an overbust and due to my, ehem, ladies, it doesn't fit the top properly) that is brown and gold that I was THINKING about wearing over the gown to bring a little more of the Steampunk feel into it, otherwise I would be wearing a simple sash at the waist line of the gown. I'm wearing combat boots that I'm going to fix up and create that Victorian feel, a birdcage veil, and (maybe) lace glovelettes. In your opinion, would the corset be too much or do you think I could rock it?

I've also posted the corset below; again, I'm going to fix it so that it is an underbust, unless I decide to try it as an overbust seeing as I intend to lose weight. I'm so indecisive at the moment, haha! 

I'll post updates to this when my gown comes in in a month with and without the corset over it for a visual. I'm just thinking of ideas at the moment. Thanks to everyone in advance for opinions and suggestions!

Re: Corset over wedding gown? Themed wedding and fried brain

• While I like both the dress and the corset, I don't think they'd go together. As the dress does not have a defined shelf, I'd be afraid that putting this over a top with princess seams (?) would look like an after thought and ruin the lines of the top of the dress. I'd stick to your themed accessories.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • You could absolutely rock it!  I can totally picture that dress with the corset, a kick ass pair of combat boots, and a birdcage veil.  I think it'll definitely give you the look you're going for to tie in with your theme and I really think you'll look bad ass!  
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Brutal honesty here: I think it would look really weird, the looks clash. And I think in 20 years, you probably aren't going to think steampunk was a great wedding theme.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm pretty sure @chibiyui had a Steampunk vibe at her wedding, so she may be able to give some great insight.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Personally, I don't like the idea. I love the top of the dress as is in the picture! I think a sash or belt could give it the vibe you're looking for. Especially with the combat boots, veil, and possibly gloves, I think you can achieve your desired look without the corset.

However, if this is something you are really wanting to do, I'd love to see a picture with them together.

• I like the idea but not the two pieces together. I don't think the black & gold corset would look good over a bright white dress, it would be mixed matched. Now if you could find a corset that was white & gold or white & silver, that would probably look great. I think the colors need to match the color of the dress to make it look like it was meant to go together & not like a last minute idea.
  • Thank you all for the insight! Just a note, the gown will be in ivory and not white; I'm sorry, I should have said earlier. I understand that it would look last minute, and that's the exact reason that I asked for other opinions, as I don't want it to look like that at all. I love the Steampunk theme and we're not going all out with it, just the dress and some decoration (guests, however, can come in full-blown Steampunk garb if they wish; I'm setting up a photo booth for our guest book), but as the bride I wondered if doing more would look cool or, as some of you have said, over-done or last minute. 

Again, just to see how it would look, I'll post pictures of the gown with and without the corset just to keep y'all updated on it if nothing else. Thanks so much for your input!
  • edited June 2015
    From the point of view of someone who sews, is this corset boned? Steel bones? Because if so, it won't be able to be altered to an underbust. Even if they're plastic, I'd question if it's actually possible.

ETA: With a second look at it, I see it has a zipper in front. That really cannot be altered without majorly working on it. The zipper would need to be taken out entirely and replaced. If you want an underbust, you would really be better off ordering a new one. Or order a new overbust corset that fits your measurements.
  • artbyallie, yes it is steel boned. I don't have much history with corsets, but from what I could tell by wearing it, it's short enough that I could alter it into an underbust without having to alter the zipper (I got a 15-inch when I should have gone longer, thus the tank top in the picture; it was my very first corset purchase). It matches my measurements okay, it was just the length that was the issue, thus my wanting to alter it into an underbust. But I do get that if I go with purchasing a new overbust I'll have to get a bigger size to keep the girls in place. Again, this was my very first corset purchase so I'm very inexperienced with how sizing and fit really works. As to altering the steel bones, it IS possible, I just have to get the necessary tools to do so, as well as good thread to hold the seams in place.

Then again, as I said, I've very little experience with corsets; as someone who obviously has more experience than I do, I'll definitely put that into consideration when considering whether to wear and alter it or not!
  • Your corset very well may not fit if you drop a dress size, and I would echo concerns about altering it and pairing this exact corset with that dress.

Instead, I would find an underbust corset in cream or gold, and get it in a size measuring at least 2" smaller than your actual waist. Going smaller is always better than going too big for corsets because once the two sides are laced flush against each other, that's as far as it will adjust down, whereas you can always leave a wider gap under the lacing. Gaps under the lacing are far prettier than saggy loose corsets. Going for an underbust simplifies the fit, too, since you don't need to worry about length or bust.

When looking for the corset for your wedding, I wouldn't worry too much about the boning. The dress is already taking care of everything structural, so plastic boning should be fine.

Overall, I think your outfit's going to look awesome.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Alternately, does the dress have a corset back, or could it be altered to have one? Because tossing in darker ribbon or cord and pinning a pocket watch at the waist could steampunk it up plenty without having to buy a new corset or mutilate the existing one.

The existing corset is adorable and I'd personally save it for other steampunk occasions rather than trying to alter it; just get a nice chemise or blouse to wear under it since it doesn't fully cover the bust.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think this would look terrible and like you're wearing a costume. But I think bringing that corset on the honeymoon is an A+ idea. Or even working it into a rehearsal dinner outfit if you want. But not with that dress.
  • In all honesty, altering this would not be a good first project for someone with no corset experience. I have made exactly one steel-boned corset and ordered pre-finished bones in the lengths I needed so that I would not have to cut and cap them myself. And I actually have experience with several types of metalwork. But the chance of having it not done well and ending up with the bone stabbing its way through the fabric worried me too much.

I am just trying to say that this is extremely ambitious (and believe me, I get in over my head with my ambitious projects frequently!) and I don't want you to end up disappointed/frustrated/upset if it doesn't go the way you're hoping.
  • no it does not go with the dress it would ruin the look of the dress and people would be wondering did you get it from the local party city.

i would stick to like a similar color sash to wrap around the dress, and maybe do some steam punk type jewelry
  • Thanks everyone for the awesome advice. After mulling it over and considering that, yes, I don't have the experience necessary to alter the corset, I'm going to keep it as is and as some of you have suggested, wearing it on the honeymoon, to the rehearsal dinner, and wearing it to other events (I plan on going to Ren Faire so I'll get a blouse and a skirt and wear it that way). 

I do love the idea of stringing the back of my gown with a different colored cord or ribbon (yes, it is a corset back, as luck would have it!), so I think I'm going to just go that route. I've been changing my mind on how I want to look (changed my mind from heeled boots to sneakers since I know I'd fall on my face) and I think the different corset color would be subtle enough to not be overbearing.

Thank you all again for the awesome advice; my gown comes in at the end of the month so I'll pick up a ribbon color and post a picture with the results. :)
  • You could always steampunk-up your accessories so you don't take away from the beauty of the dress, but don't compromise your vision 

imageimageimageimage
  • I love the idea of adding some steam punk bling to whatever shoes (even the tennis shoes) to add some cool funk to them. Also a Steam Punk bouquet could be a lot of fun. I'm thinking you could make some simple steam punck boutinerre's fairly easy. These would be soem fun but subtle ways to add your love of steam punk to your wedding.

• Regardless of your "theme", you will likely appreciate it in the future if you keep it to more of an overall feel rather than a costume party. Your guests will likely appreciate it as well. 

To me, it's the difference between a bride with a "fairy princess" theme wearing wings and body glitter and a tiara vs. just a beautiful ball gown and picking a venue and decor that's glittery and ethereal, for example. 

Some people wear tiaras, some people wear flower crowns, you want to wear a bird cage veil. That's awesome, and a great way to make sure you feel like YOU on your wedding day, since that's your style. You, your best and most beautiful version of you. You don't want to feel like you in a costume, you want to feel like you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards