Chit Chat

Slow Cooker Help

So, DH thought he pulled steaks out of the freezer to thaw, but turns out it was a roast.  I've never cooked one, but found a recipe online for slow cookers.  I've only ever made rum toddy's in my slow cooker, so please help me out here.  

Recipe says cook on low for 8 hours, but it's too late for that.  I have a probe thing to cook with, and put it to low cook 150F internal temp (versus high cook or warm).  It's currently on 57F and warming up.  I assume this way will cook faster.  Will it switch over to warm when the meat gets to the right internal temp??  I've got a meeting this afternoon and I don't want to leave it to burn.  I have non idea what I'm really doing and I hope I don't poison us tonight.  ;)

Re: Slow Cooker Help

• 8 hours on low would be about 4-5 hours on high.     If your slow cooker is programmable I would cook it on high for 4-5 hours then have it switch to warm.

I've never used the a probe either.  I just throw it in the pot and leave.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I also dont have a probey one, however I would ASSUME that if it has the probe, it will switch to warm once i hits 150. You should be okay
  • Thanks ladies.  I will let it run and cross my fingers I don't come home to a burnt down house.  :)

• In my experience it's pretty dang hard to actually burn the crap out of anything in a slow cooker, I would just set it and call it a day and you should be fine. I once left pork loins in a crock pot for 13hrs because of a key mix up (were supposed to be in there 8-10) and they were fantastic. Good luck! I have ground beef in the crock right now!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I throw raw meatballs in mine and they cook for a good 8-10 hours.  No burning.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    It has been about 100 degrees for the past two weeks.  I put my slow cooker on the front porch and plug it into the outside outlet.  If it isn't cooked in the crock pot, the grill, the microwave, or the stove top, it ain't happenin'!

Tonight's menu:  Polish sausages cooked on the grill, potato salad and coleslaw from the deli, fruit salad.
    Tomorrow night's menu:  reservations
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Woohoo!!  We ate and no one has died yet.  Wasn't a fan of the beef.  There wasn't a lot of flavour to the meat itself, but it was cooked.  Thanks ladies

• I'm late the the party, but whenever I do a roast in the crock pot, I put in a packet of the lipton onion soup mix, it adds some flavor. Also, mini carrots and small red potatoes. 8 hours on low, bam a meal and left overs for a few days. The potatoes smash nicely too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards