Chit Chat

Re: Well this is interesting

• Yup, sounds about right.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Sounds right to me.  

That is one reason why the mayor of Baltimore held back.  She agreed that it was partly the police's fault it escalated so quickly in Ferguson.   She might have taken it a little too far, but they are trying to find the happy medium.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • edited June 2015
    Wow. I am honestly surprised, but I definitely agree with it.

ETA: I listened to a great This American Life podcast about policing and this training a group of officers have to take in Vegas (I think) that teaches about bias and de-escaliation practices. After learning about it, I'm shocked more places don't do it. I think officers could really benefit from it, and it should AT LEAST be required in areas with tension between officers and the community. Ideally it should be required everywhere, but...I'll try not to be too optimistic.
  • I'm not surprised either. The biggest problem is that a lot of law enforcement personnel don't want to accept that unconcious bias exists in policing. There seems to be this all or nothing mentality in this country. It's either "all cops are racist" or you obviously hate cops if you point out here cops are failing. How about we accept there's a problem and address it without it having to be one or the other? Admitting there's a race issue in policing doesn't have to mean you're admitting to being a racist. They're not the same thing. Pointing out that there's an issue in law enforcement that needs to be addresses doesn't mean you hate all cops.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards