Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Signing the Thank You cards

So I've written about 20 TY cards so far and have a ton more to go. I read that since only one person actually writes the card that only they should sign it and just mention the other person in the note. So that's what I've been doing. When I told my mom this she said it sounded weird and that since the gifts were for both me and my H that both of our names should be signed on the TY card. Now I'm overthinking this...I don't want to open and then reseal and readdress the 20 cards I've already done. 
Should I sign both our names on the future ones and leave the other ones as is? Does anyone even care?? I can't wait until I have these all done so I can finally stop worrying about all this wedding stuff!

ETA: these aren't for bridal shower gifts but for actual wedding gifts so cards were addressed to both of us

Re: Signing the Thank You cards

• Options
    kvruns said:

We both signed each card since it was a gift to both of us. He wrote the ones to his people an I wrote mine and we signed each others'. I personally wouldn't unseal and resign the ones you've already sealed but going forward I would have you both sign although true etiquette may say otherwise.

This sounds like a good way to go about it.
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    I signed our TY notes but used "we" a lot.   Technically if you're not writing the note you're not supposed to sign the note.   But frankly, in the day and age where the TY note is rarely sent, if you want to pick apart how it's signed, I'm going to give you a list of better ways to occupy your time. 
    That's what I was thinking- I'd be happy to even just receive one! I've been to a few weddings and never received any kind of "thank you" unfortunately.

• Options
    I signed both of our names.  I don't care if that isn't how it is supposed to be done.  The thank you card was from the both of us even though I was the one who actually did the physical writing, so why the heck shouldn't his name be included as well?
    Ditto this.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I signed both of our names.  I don't care if that isn't how it is supposed to be done.  The thank you card was from the both of us even though I was the one who actually did the physical writing, so why the heck shouldn't his name be included as well?
    This. 

That's what we did and I think it's the right thing to do. The gifts were for both of us and we wanted to show that we were both thankful for them.  

If the only way to get your name on a TY note is to physically write some of it, then I guess we could have split up the sentences so we each could sign it but that seems pretty stupid.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I signed both of our names.

I agree with Maggie, the gift was for both of us, and the thank you came from both of us, so I signed it from both. (DH did some as well)
  • Options
    I signed both our names, but depending on who the card was for changed who was written first.

Also H's writing is chicken scratch so if he would have written them it kind of would have been a waste of a card. Love him, but his writing is awful.
  • Options
    AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    I signed both of our names and would do it the same way again. Like Maggie said, it was from both of us, regardless of who signed it. I sign both our names on birthday cards, Christmas cards, Mother's and Father's Day cards, etc, too. I don't care how a card is signed as long as I get one.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    So I've written about 20 TY cards so far and have a ton more to go. I read that since only one person actually writes the card that only they should sign it and just mention the other person in the note. So that's what I've been doing. When I told my mom this she said it sounded weird and that since the gifts were for both me and my H that both of our names should be signed on the TY card. Now I'm overthinking this...I don't want to open and then reseal and readdress the 20 cards I've already done. 
    Should I sign both our names on the future ones and leave the other ones as is? Does anyone even care?? I can't wait until I have these all done so I can finally stop worrying about all this wedding stuff!

ETA: these aren't for bridal shower gifts but for actual wedding gifts so cards were addressed to both of us
    Don't re-do what you've done (in fact, put them in the mail today so you can't), but going forward do it any of the ways PPs have suggested.
  • Options
    We each signed our own names to each note, but split writing the actual notes.

I agree that someone who has an issue with this can GTF over it. I'm happy just to get a note. 
  • Options
    OK thanks ladies. Going forward I'll just say "we" and sign both our names. On the ones I signed myself I did say "H's name and I are so glad you could celebrate with us..blah blah blah". So I did include him that way but I'll do it the other way now. The things I drive myself crazy over..

• Options
    For wedding thank you cards I do "we" and signed both of our names. I wrote most of our thank you cards out during my lunch hours at work and wasn't about to wait for him to sit down & sign them. I wanted them done & gone.
  • Options
    Wegl13Wegl13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Ditto PPs. I wrote some, he wrote some, we signed our own names then handed them over to the other person to sign and seal.
    My husband keeps joking that a "perk of being married" is that I can sign birthday/Christmas/Fathers Day/whatever cards for him now, and I know a lot of people that do that, but I just CANNOT. I feel like I'm committing forgery!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards