Honeymoon Discussions

Minimoon Ideas for Central PA

luckystrawluckystraw member
5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
edited July 2015 in Honeymoon Discussions
My FH and I are getting married in mid-November of this year, and are taking a family vacation ("honeymoon") next year. However, we'd like to take the weekend or 3-5 days to celebrate our marriage and relax for a while before returning to work and a roommate. 

We live in Central PA and I've done some research to no avail. I was wondering if any Central PA brides had any local ideas for us to do to have some fun (or any couples who honeymooned here!) during the fall.

Some hobbies we have and stuff we enjoy include museums/aquariums, taking walks (hiking isn't really our thing, but I bet I can get him to hike if we can camp along the way), historical towns (he's been to Salem and he says it's awesome, and I haven't been to Gettysburg in years but I loved it the last time I went), and we're always open to new experiences if anyone has any suggestions on specific towns, museums, restaurants to try, etc. 

Thank you all in advance and feel free to ask questions if I didn't make anything clear! :D

Edit: If someone thinks that I may get more suggestions by moving this post to the Central PA board, could someone please tell me how to do so (or if I need to rewrite the post)? Thanks again!

Re: Minimoon Ideas for Central PA

• I'm originally from Central PA. How far are you willing to drive? The Finger Lakes/Ithaca NY are about 4 hours away. The area is beautiful, you have the Corning Museum of Glass, as well as some other small museums, wineries, really good food. 

Or Newport, RI-a historic town on the shore with tons of historic homes to tour, and the walk along the bluffs is lovely.

Mystic, CT has an aquarium and maritime museum.

There's a bunch of historic towns along the Hudson north of NYC. Cold Spring is really lovely. There's a modern art museum in the area, The Kykuit Rockefellar estate. Sleepy Hollow is really cute in the fall, in October they have a lot of events around the Headless Horseman. 

The Central PA board is dead, I don't know that you will get many responses there. 

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    How about Niagra Falls?  There is an historic village near it, too.  You do need passports to go to Canada, now.

http://www.niagarafallstourism.com/about/niagara-on-the-lake/

Colonial Willamsburg, VA is drivable, and would be an excellent option.

http://www.colonialwilliamsburg.com/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_content=General|

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Philadelphia? If you don't already visit there a lot.
  • The name literally just escaped my head, but the Grand Canyon of PA has a really cute town attached to it.  We did a train ride that provided lunch, it had great views of the valley.  We also did a horse drawn carriage ride along the bottom of the gorge.  There are only a few hotels in the town.

Lancaster County PA.  So many great small towns throughout.  Great food and people!  So many different tours you can take.  I also just found out about a local brewery just outside of Lancaster that is in a cave!  I am totally going to take H there some day!

A little further out, how about Cape May NJ?  Again, such a great small town!

Look into NYC, Philly, or DC if you want a more city like adventure.

Do you have a budget and a maximum travel time?  Those will help us give you ideas!

• The name literally just escaped my head, but the Grand Canyon of PA has a really cute town attached to it.  We did a train ride that provided lunch, it had great views of the valley.  We also did a horse drawn carriage ride along the bottom of the gorge.  There are only a few hotels in the town.

Lancaster County PA.  So many great small towns throughout.  Great food and people!  So many different tours you can take.  I also just found out about a local brewery just outside of Lancaster that is in a cave!  I am totally going to take H there some day!

Do you have a budget and a maximum travel time?  Those will help us give you ideas!

Are you thinking of New Hope?

Only mods can move posts, so if you still want it moved, I can do that. Or you can just cross post to the Central PA board. Just create a new post on that board and label it "XP: Minimoon Ideas for Central PA" in the title!

Are you thinking of New Hope?

Only mods can move posts, so if you still want it moved, I can do that. Or you can just cross post to the Central PA board. Just create a new post on that board and label it "XP: Minimoon Ideas for Central PA" in the title!

The canyon's near Wellsboro, I'm assuming that's what she is thinking of. 
  • Pittsburgh has lots of fun things to do, just make sure it's not the same weekend as the Browns vs. Steelers game, else you'll have a really hard time finding a room
  • Yes!  Wellsboro!
  • I'm getting a lot of awesome suggestions so I don't believe I'll need the post moved, but thanks for offering! If I do feel that I could use some more suggestions I'll go ahead and cross post like you suggested. 

As to the comment about time and budget, we're probably going to take a long weekend, so 3-5 days after the wedding, and we don't have a huge budget, but we're in the process of saving and such so I'd guess maybe a budget of $500-800 (not including hotel; I work for a hotel so I get a discount staying in any of our properties, so that's not a huge deal).

Again, the suggestions you all have given me are awesome, although I do have a question to the person who suggested Niagara Falls (CMGragain); when I searched online for tours and stuff, the calendar suggested that they did not do tours in the fall past September. Are the hours different on the Canada side, or is the website not even reliable when it comes to that? My fiance promised me that we would someday go to Niagara Falls, so if we could go that would be amazing.
  • I would guess that the town closes down for the winter.  The Canadian side is much more developed and the view is better.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    If you want a city:  Philly, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, DC, NYC & Boston are all possibilities.

The Poconos may be your closest option.

Atlantic City could be fun.  I'm trying to think of places with indoor activities given the time of year. 

The Grrenbrier in WV might be an option: http://www.greenbrier.com/
  • That kind of sucks. After talking with my fiance though, he and I decided that we'll take a trip up there next summer since we'll have time to get passports to be able to go onto the Canadian side. :)

Still deciding on what we really want to do, but we have time! No matter what we choose, now I have a full list of activities for next summer!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards