Chit Chat

Any Plans Post Wedding?

Just random curiosity for those who are getting married {also for those married of course!}

Any immediate plans once everything is done for wedding/honeymoon is done and paid for?

Since our honeymoon is planned for 6 months after wedding, we have to still pay that off, but we're going to be saving for a down payment on a home. I also want a new bed - ours wasn't new when we got it and now there are dips and the frame is kinda falling apart.

Anyone else making plans {or made plans if already married!}

Re: Any Plans Post Wedding?

• We moved from TX to VA 3 months after we got married, so as soon as the wedding was over, I was in major purging and packing mode. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Just going on with normal life.

We didn't put off anything because of the wedding.  If we needed something we got it.  We already owned a condo (have since sold it and not bought anything new since we have a lot of moves to different locations recently).

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • First of all, I'm glad that we did our small honeymoon right after the wedding.  It wasn't extravagant, but it was nice to have that time with each other, and get away to a place where I didn't feel like as much of a dork wearing my "bride" sweatshirt or "Mrs." hat! lol

We were thinking about putting on a deck after the wedding, but now DH's job is a bit in limbo, so we're just going to try to not want anything for a while!  We need to work out a new financial plan either way once we combine accounts. 

I did order an inflatable hot tub yesterday that will be here on Wednesday, so we're excited for that!!  We wanted the deck primarily to get a full size hot tub, so this will have to do for now.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm like @lyndausvi- we still did whatever we wanted while planning the wedding. I had the money stashed away for the wedding, so we still traveled, bought things for the house, etc.

After we got married, we started building a new home and planned to settle in one spot for the rest of our lives. We also planned to continue traveling extensively. Well, that all went to shit. The house was built, but I got sent away for work for 7 months and during that time, the company relocated my husband out of state. I planned on leaving my job to join him, but then woke up one day with cancer. We had to cancel our travel plans and work on the move as soon as I was well enough to leave. We're now getting ready to put our dream home on the market. It's been terribly stressful. So, I'm trying to teach myself to not plan things too far in advance and to also just accept change as it comes.

• We are going on our honeymoon immediately following the wedding (wedding on saturday, flight to Paris on Monday).

We've been already saving for a house, and have enough to purchase one, but we are holding out for a transfer for my FI. We have no plans to stay long term where we are so there is no point buying. We will be looking to put in for a transfer in the spring and go from there.

Other than that we have plans to go on a vacation with my parents in May next year, and eventually TTC, but that all depends on the transfer and how long it takes to get approved (it could take up to a year after he submits for one).
  • luckya23 said:

First of all, I'm glad that we did our small honeymoon right after the wedding.  It wasn't extravagant, but it was nice to have that time with each other, and get away to a place where I didn't feel like as much of a dork wearing my "bride" sweatshirt or "Mrs." hat! lol

We were thinking about putting on a deck after the wedding, but now DH's job is a bit in limbo, so we're just going to try to not want anything for a while!  We need to work out a new financial plan either way once we combine accounts. 

I did order an inflatable hot tub yesterday that will be here on Wednesday, so we're excited for that!!  We wanted the deck primarily to get a full size hot tub, so this will have to do for now.

Haha! I swear H and I were just discussing getting one of these earlier this morning... There was a hot tub in the place we rented in Hawaii on our honeymoon and my H is just obsessed with hot tubs now.

Anyway, we did make some plans for the first few weeks after the wedding and honeymoon because I really wanted something small to look forward to after so many months of planning and anticipation of the BIG event. We purchased some concert tickets, and made plans to visit family and go on a hiking trip. It turns out to have been a really smart decision because I definitely had some post-wedding blues, and those little things helped pull me out of it.
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Just normal life here. maybe get knocked up but that's the only thing that is any different from premarried life.
  • luckya23 said:

First of all, I'm glad that we did our small honeymoon right after the wedding.  It wasn't extravagant, but it was nice to have that time with each other, and get away to a place where I didn't feel like as much of a dork wearing my "bride" sweatshirt or "Mrs." hat! lol

Haha! I swear H and I were just discussing getting one of these earlier this morning... There was a hot tub in the place we rented in Hawaii on our honeymoon and my H is just obsessed with hot tubs now.

Anyway, we did make some plans for the first few weeks after the wedding and honeymoon because I really wanted something small to look forward to after so many months of planning and anticipation of the BIG event. We purchased some concert tickets, and made plans to visit family and go on a hiking trip. It turns out to have been a really smart decision because I definitely had some post-wedding blues, and those little things helped pull me out of it.
    I wasn't really looking for one, but it was the deal of the day on Amazon yesterday, so I took it as a sign!  The Jacuzzi in my bridal suite ended up not working, and neither did the rooftop hot tub at our honeymoon hotel last week!  I have the worst luck with hot tubs, but hopefully this one will be the lucky charm! 

• Buy a house.
  • We got engaged 5 days before closing on our house so we went right from house-hunting mode to wedding-planning mode (we got married exactly a year after closing). Our honeymoon was right after the wedding and then we started just talking about things we wanted to do around the house. We've made some plans but nothing set in stone yet. We also started planning/ talked about having a big party/cookout for all of our friends (from college and ones we have made recently in our new city) and we are finally having that this weekend.

In April DH lost his job so all plans went on hold but he got a new one in May and started a few weeks ago. We also took a 2 week vacation to China with 13 other members of his side of the family which was awesome. Next up is to update the bathrooms in our house and maybe start baby-making!
  • well we're staying a hotel room right after wedding, but we're holding off on honeymoon until February since we want to go somewhere nice.

I know what frame I want, but mattress is going to be super complicated so I'm just waiting {also someone will have to be home for delivery and neither of us wanna cap out our vaca for year - so we wait}
  • We pretty much went back to our normal routine after we got back from our honeymoon, but we are starting to re-evaluate our jobs/housing situation. Other than that though, we have been back to business as usual.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• luckya23 said:
    luckya23 said:

I wasn't really looking for one, but it was the deal of the day on Amazon yesterday, so I took it as a sign!  The Jacuzzi in my bridal suite ended up not working, and neither did the rooftop hot tub at our honeymoon hotel last week!  I have the worst luck with hot tubs, but hopefully this one will be the lucky charm! 

I saw that deal yesterday and wanted to buy it. We just have no where to put it so I didn't. :( Let me know how it works when you use it.

• @arrippa, Chances are, it will work for other people but not me!! lol

DH wants to put it in the yard (umm where to plug it in?) and I was thinking of the garage.  We'll see - I just got a notification that it will arrive tomorrow, a day early! 

• @luckya23 ooooh I definitely want to know how that turns out!

• I'm like @lyndausvi- we still did whatever we wanted while planning the wedding. I had the money stashed away for the wedding, so we still traveled, bought things for the house, etc.

After we got married, we started building a new home and planned to settle in one spot for the rest of our lives. We also planned to continue traveling extensively. Well, that all went to shit. The house was built, but I got sent away for work for 7 months and during that time, the company relocated my husband out of state. I planned on leaving my job to join him, but then woke up one day with cancer. We had to cancel our travel plans and work on the move as soon as I was well enough to leave. We're now getting ready to put our dream home on the market. It's been terribly stressful. So, I'm trying to teach myself to not plan things too far in advance and to also just accept change as it comes.

Oh jeez :( that's .... wow. How are things now? I'm not sure how far back this happened :\
  • We'll be going on our honeymoon pretty much immediately following the wedding (hanging out till monday to file the paperwork at the court house), and then that month we'll be moving to a different state, so it'll be a hectic couple of months getting married, getting our house rented, and either renting or buying another house in Maryland and hopefully finding FI a new job. 

Then, who knows!? :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • We planned our HM.  Since we got married in Hawaii, we had 6 days after the wedding to relax.  But with all the friends and family there, we decided it wasn't a proper HM and planned a new one once we got back.  Or in other words, we needed another excuse for a vacation.  :)

Oh jeez :( that's .... wow. How are things now? I'm not sure how far back this happened :\
    @MsKittyDanger- I was diagnosed with lymphoma in May 2014 and have been cancer free since August 29, 2014 (I'll ALWAYS remember that date!!) My treatments ended in early October 2014. I'm still having problems (in fact, had to call the oncologist today Grrrrr) but as far as I know, I'm still cancer free. And that is all that matters.

• edited July 2015
    MsKittyDanger said: well we're staying a hotel room right after wedding, but we're holding off on honeymoon until February since we want to go somewhere nice.
    I know what frame I want, but mattress is going to be super complicated so I'm just waiting {also someone will have to be home for delivery and neither of us wanna cap out our vaca for year - so we wait}

*boxes*

I
    highly recommend getting a new bed as soon as you can, because good sleep is amazing and fixes a lot of other things. FI and I took two weekends to lie down on maybe 50 different mattresses in our price range at four or five different places, and most of the places we went to offered weekend delivery.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • All the post-marriage legalities, like name change, health insurance, joining our finances, getting life insurance, wills, etc. I want to aggressively pay down our student loan debt, so I'll probably work on figuring out the best way to do that. So... normal life stuff, I guess. We're hoping things calm down once we get back from our honeymoon because the final wedding stuff plus moving is a bear.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    luckya23 said:

We bought a full size hot tub in October, and we have used it a lot.  It cost us about $7400 plus an extra $1000 for the wiring that had to go in to support it.  It is on a thick cement patio.
    Be careful about the weight on a deck.  The water weighs a lot!  There is also the expense and bother of chemically treating the water.  DH is in his chemistry geek element with this, and our water stays clear, thanks to his obsessive care.  Utility costs have also increased.

http://www.calderaspas.com/shop/paradise/salina

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I had already relocated for work a few months before the wedding, so J moved down immediately afterwards.  We went on our honeymoon to Florida seven months later, and then a month after THAT took a quick weekend trip to Montreal to see U2.

Now we're in the process of me resigning, and getting ready to relocate back to my home province.  Only a month and a half left of work.... and once my inlaws visit this weekend we're going to start packing everything.  We've got about 25 boxes worth of books alone.  Not so much looking forward to that.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • @Jells2dot0 yayyy!!! 

@lachattefatale we've lay down in a few beds and realized it'll be harder than anticipated - I want a harder bed and he was a softer one - but I did some research at the place we're most likely getting a bed from, and I think I found one that matches with both of us without huge amount of compromise :D 
  • kvrunskvruns member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

we've lay down in a few beds and realized it'll be harder than anticipated - I want a harder bed and he was a softer one - but I did some research at the place we're most likely getting a bed from, and I think I found one that matches with both of us without huge amount of compromise :D 
    You could get one of those beds that is divided on each side, I think it is Sleep Number? so each person has theirs.  Or my parents have one that is adjustable so each person can inflate/deflate (?) to make it match what they want
  • @kvruns that's one of them we're looking at actually! the other is a memory foam - iComfort or iCool? I know we're starting with Sleep Country
  • I LOVE my sleep number. We got the cheapest model they had and it's amazing. H is a big softie and I like a harder mattress so we both get what we want. it's also nice to be able to adjust it day to day if we want. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Moving to either a new/cheaper rental or buy an apartment and keep on with life which = work for DH and MedSchool/Step 1 prep for me. 

We also want to figure out our finances and birth control, and maybe plan a vacation for July 2016.

• We want to move out of state or at least into something bigger around here. FH doesn't want to deal with moving while also dealing with wedding planning. He finds moving 10x more stressful than most people so I will respect his wishes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @Jells2dot0 yayyy!!! 

@lachattefatale we've lay down in a few beds and realized it'll be harder than anticipated - I want a harder bed and he was a softer one - but I did some research at the place we're most likely getting a bed from, and I think I found one that matches with both of us without huge amount of compromise :D 

*boxes*

That does make it harder, but the invention of sleep numbers was pure genius. FI and I mostly agreed on firmness, we only "argued" over traditional vs. foam, and he caved. We got some kind of knock-off tempurpedic memory foam thing, and I loooove it.

As for post-wedding plans, I think they're the same as pre-engagement. I'm looking for a job in the area we want to move to, and as soon as I find one, we'll move about an hour north to improve his commute and be closer to both our families. We do want to buy a house there, but we'll probably wait a year or two post-wedding to save up more down-payment money and rent until then. I think a new couch and new dining chairs are at the top of our post-wedding purchase list.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards