Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding website on invite

Hey all!
I just wanted to seek your advice about something I've been thinking about these past few days. On my wedding website, I have a list of things that my guests can do while they're in town and I'm going to include this on my reception card. However, our registry info is also on that wedding website. Is this in poor taste? I'm truly not trying to trick them into looking at my registry and I definitely don't want to offend anyone! What would you do? 

Thanks! 

Re: Wedding website on invite

• Options
    Hey all!
    I just wanted to seek your advice about something I've been thinking about these past few days. On my wedding website, I have a list of things that my guests can do while they're in town and I'm going to include this on my reception card. However, our registry info is also on that wedding website. Is this in poor taste? I'm truly not trying to trick them into looking at my registry and I definitely don't want to offend anyone! What would you do? 

Thanks! 
    Well, I'd take the list of things for your guests to do off your reception card but leave it on your website.  This is me, but if you really want to play it safe, de-link your registry info from your website.  People can Google it or otherwise find it.  Once you do that, you can go ahead and list your website on an insert in your invitation.
  • Options
    The invitation tells guests who, what, when and where.  This does not include a website unless it is for RSVP purposes, and you are not using an RSVP. card.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    The offensive place to put your registry info is on the invitation. I think the wedding website is the best place to put that info. People can then choose whether to look at it or not. It saves you and your guests the trouble and awkwardness of people asking you where you're registered. However, I would not include the registry on the reception card or anything else you're sending with the invitation.
  • Options

I used "make your own business card" paper stock and just put this on there "For details about hotel, directions and more , check out our website at www.xxxxxxxx.com" and just put that in as an insert.

• Options
    There's nothing wrong with having registry info on your website. Wedding websites are usually for extra info that guests might need/want to know, and the registry definitely falls under that category. 

We had an insert with our invitation that listed hotel accommodations and then had our website on the bottom. It said something like "for more information visit www.weddingwebiste" 

Our site had a list of stuff to do in the area, directions, our registry, and a couple other things that I thought might be useful. No big deal. 

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    It is fine to have your registry on your website. Usually websites have separate tabs, one labelled "Registry", in which case a guest can choose to look or not look. At the same time, under that tab I wouldn't put a lot of information, or include cutesy poems or anything, simply, "We are registered at X".

The "things to do" is also fine on the website. We did this as well, as we had a fair number of OOT guests, and some of them did use our recommendations to check out a few things.

Don't put your website link directly on your invitation, but on a separate insert would be fine. Again, something simple, "For more information on directions and hotels, please visit our website at www....". Wedding websites can be a good place to include a map with directions.

We had a map, which included the venue location, location of the two main airports guests would be flying into, and the hotel we had a room block at.

I appreciate wedding websites, and think they are A-OK etiquette wise, because they purpose is to help inform guests, which is always considerate (as long as you aren't telling them to do anything). No guest is forced to look at your website.

• Options
    I think most wedding invitations I've received recently included the link to the wedding website on it somewhere. I have found it very useful in helping plan travel, etc. I am not a big fan of the traditional invitations that have a separate little insert card for directions, accommodations, etc. I think most people are internet-savvy enough to use the website these days. I agree with the PPs that putting the registry on the invitation is poor form, but that it's okay to put a link to the website on the invitation, and include registry information on the website. Just make sure your website has a lot of information on it so it doesn't just look like a link to your registry.

We included a website link in our invitation "For more information, including accommodations and directions, please visit www....." I also included it on our Save The Dates. I'm not sure how people would have known we had a website otherwise. We didn't have a registry though.
  • Options
    Personally I think of the wedding website as an extension of the invitation.  Both typically provide the same information (or should because not everyone will look at your website) so neither should include anything about registries.

If you include your wedding website into your invite set then you are inviting people to look at your website thus advertising your registry information.

IMO, registry information should never be written down (except in shower invites).  This type of information is easily searchable and can be spread via word of mouth if someone asks.

• Options
    I put the link to the wedding website on the reception card insert. It read 
    cocktails, dinner and dancing
    immediately following the ceremony 
    --VENUE INFO--, 
    for more information --wedding website link-- 
    (this was obviously formatted and looked pretty).

The wedding website had things like details on the menu options (invites had to be printed before we knew more than chicken/beef/vegetarian), hotel info, shuttle info, etc. 

The actual invitation was too formal looking for a website link to be added, and it didn't fit anywhere properly. 

• Options
    Thanks ladies! I think I was just a little worried that having the registry on the website might look like a bad "coincidence" like, "hey, while you're looking for parking info, why don't you just go ahead and look at my registry too" 
    I definitely don't want to put my registry info anywhere on the invite/reception/rsvp. 
    I really liked the idea of a separate business card for the wedding website itself--I'll look into that!
    Thanks again 
  • Options
    I think most wedding invitations I've received recently included the link to the wedding website on it somewhere. I have found it very useful in helping plan travel, etc. I am not a big fan of the traditional invitations that have a separate little insert card for directions, accommodations, etc. I think most people are internet-savvy enough to use the website these days. I agree with the PPs that putting the registry on the invitation is poor form, but that it's okay to put a link to the website on the invitation, and include registry information on the website. Just make sure your website has a lot of information on it so it doesn't just look like a link to your registry.

We included a website link in our invitation "For more information, including accommodations and directions, please visit www....." I also included it on our Save The Dates. I'm not sure how people would have known we had a website otherwise. We didn't have a registry though.
    Not everyone.  I have relatives who are not, and my now-ex-BF's mother was so afraid of it that she refuses to have an Internet connection in her house.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:

Not everyone.  I have relatives who are not, and my now-ex-BF's mother was so afraid of it that she refuses to have an Internet connection in her house.
    Add to the fact that some people don't feel like having to get on a website just to find out your specifics.  Just put them in the invite so people like me don't then have to go searching around your website.

This is coming from a person who just doesn't see the point in wedding websites.  Just put all the info in the invite.

• Options
    Jen4948 said:

Add to the fact that some people don't feel like having to get on a website just to find out your specifics.  Just put them in the invite so people like me don't then have to go searching around your website.

This is coming from a person who just doesn't see the point in wedding websites.  Just put all the info in the invite.
    Well, the point is so that people who are Internet-savvy can access everything they need in one place without having to go through tons of inserts and cards, but yeah, they need to be in both the invitation and on the website.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

Well, the point is so that people who are Internet-savvy can access everything they need in one place without having to go through tons of inserts and cards, but yeah, they need to be in both the invitation and on the website.
    I really don't think looking over insert cards (accommodations, directions, possible random reception information, etc) is any more time consuming then having to look up something on the internet.  Both take time.  And at least with the inserts you have them right in front of you instead of having to rely on your internet signal when heading to the wedding.

I guess for me since I stare at a computer screen all day long, that it is nice when I for once don't have to google something to get information.

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

I really don't think looking over insert cards (accommodations, directions, possible random reception information, etc) is any more time consuming then having to look up something on the internet.  Both take time.  And at least with the inserts you have them right in front of you instead of having to rely on your internet signal when heading to the wedding.

I guess for me since I stare at a computer screen all day long, that it is nice when I for once don't have to google something to get information.

It's not necessarily a matter of time but convenience in other respects.  Some people really do prefer the Internet, and it isn't rude to have a wedding website that contains that information or links to it.

Not to mention, it can be very expensive to print lots of inserts, and they can add a lot of postage to invitations.  The Internet is much cheaper.

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

It's not necessarily a matter of time but convenience in other respects.  Some people really do prefer the Internet, and it isn't rude to have a wedding website that contains that information or links to it.
    I never said it was rude.  I just think it is overkill.

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

As my edited post says, the Internet is also cheaper than printing lots of inserts and mailing them with the invitations.  That can really drive up the costs of printing and mailing invitations.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

As my edited post says, the Internet is also cheaper than printing lots of inserts and mailing them with the invitations.  That can really drive up the costs of printing and mailing invitations.
    Yes, but you also agreed with me that all information should be in both the invite suite and website.  So having a website really wouldn't cut down on costs at all.

• Options
    Just to be clear, all necessary info is on my invites/rsvp/reception cards and in the right place. The wedding website just has hotel info and things to do in the area. I'm definitely giving my guests what they need to get to the ceremony/reception on paper since I can't expect everyone to look at my website. 
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

Yes, but you also agreed with me that all information should be in both the invite suite and website.  So having a website really wouldn't cut down on costs at all.
    True, but I was pointing out that there is a point to having a website-it puts all the necessary information in one place.  Some people really prefer that over inserts.  There's nothing wrong with a preference for inserts, but that doesn't invalidate the "point" of a website.
  • Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

True, but I was pointing out that there is a point to having a website-it puts all the necessary information in one place.  Some people really prefer that over inserts.  There's nothing wrong with a preference for inserts, but that doesn't invalidate the "point" of a website.
    Ok.  But it is my opinion that I just don't see the point of them when all the information is already included in the invite (all in one place).  If people want to have them, then fine.  But I am still entitled to my opinion.

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Jen4948 said:

Ok.  But it is my opinion that I just don't see the point of them when all the information is already included in the invite (all in one place).  If people want to have them, then fine.  But I am still entitled to my opinion.
    As am I.
  • Options
    fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2015

Soooo many boxes.

I like websites because you can put a link in them. Example "The XXX Inn is located nearby and we have reserved a block of rooms. Use code "greatestweddingever." www.xxxinn.biz

ETS: Sorry, didn't think about the porn possibility when I used XXX.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards