Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

change name Q

I'm getting married next weekend and I'm confused as to how the changing of your last name process works. I am changing my last name I understand all the DMV and SSA thing. What I'm confused about is my degree and credentials. I have two degrees from two seperate colleges and a teaching credential all under my maiden name. Do I need to contact these institutions and file a change of name as well?

Re: change name Q

  • I think it comes down to personal preference, but I'm not certain. I just know I've seen degrees on people's walls (dentist's office, professor's, etc) that have maiden names only on them before. I also have a friend who had to get her name changed with her university between her first BA and her second because she divorced and re-married, but I don't recall if she had her first degree reprinted.
  • My degree has my maiden name on it.  That's the name I had when I received the degree, so that's the name that should be on the degree.

    I'd assume you would need to get your teaching credential changed though.
  • It's fine, your marriage license links your old last name to your new one if anyone has questions.
    Married the love of my life on Friday, December 16, 2011!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards