Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Photographer situation... Advice?

My DH and I got married in December last year.  We finally received our wedding photos to find that our most important photos (the formal ones with our families, DH's kids, and DH and I) were not included.  We called the photographer, and finally got a hold of him after many messages and emails.  He told us that we can tell him that those photos are supposed to be there, but he said that they're not there.  He does not have them. We did receive around 400 images.  About 200 of them are too dark to print.  The flash wasn't working on his camera. 

I know for a fact that he took the memory card out of his camera and put it in a case, and we think he 'misplaced' the card. 

So, we are significantly disappointed that we do not have those pictures.  I do not have one picture with just my dad and I.  My DH and I do not have one formal one together, nor do have any pictures of us with his two kids.  Not one picture with us and his two kids.  So disappointing. 

So, we've thought about how to handle the situation. 

I know there are other people out there who got screwed by their photographers.  I'm looking for advice from others who have similar situations as to how you handled it. 

We filed a complaint with the local Better Business Bureau, and we are waiting to hear back on that.

We are re-doing our formal pictures in a month, with our families.  Even though, DH's grandmother won't be able to make, and probably will never be able to visit us (she lives five hours away) again because her health is not well.  We are going with a photographer who photographed my friend's wedding and she does a fabulous job. 

But, we are having to pay for more pictures.  I would rather do it, than go the rest of our lives not having those formal pictures.  I just can't see us not having them. 

So, we are getting dressed up again. Our fathers wore their own suits to the wedding, and we provided them with their shirts and ties.  So, they are set.  I still have my dress (even though I've gained some weight, it barely fits...), DH's daughter still has her Jr. Bridesmaid dress, and DH and DH's son are just wearing black suits with matching shirts and ties.  So...  we were able to keep the cost down of outfitting everyone.  I just have to do something small for flowers. 

I'm going to make the best of the situation, and do a 'trash the dress' photo session after our formals, also.

So, this is how I'm attempting to handle my situation. 

Anyone have any advice?  How did other handle their problems with their photographers? 

TIA!
We're married!!! 12-12-09
Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!

Re: Photographer situation... Advice?

• Honestly, I would ask for half my money back (or the cost to take new pictures)  Because you only got half your pictures.  Did your contract say what pictures you wanted?  Just curious, if it did then it will be a lot easier to get your money back. I would talk to a lawyer, but thats just me.  Oh and please post on your local board to NOT use "xxx photographer" so other girls don't have the same thing happen to them. So sorry this happened to you, but I think if I were you, I would do the same thing and take new pictures.  I would hate to not have a picture of just my dad and I.  Good luck! 
  • tommyandytommyandy member
    First Comment
    edited May 2010
    Try to get your money back before you take him to court.  Don't call him, send him emails & real letters & keep a copy of everything.  If he won't work with you, take all of the documentation of you trying to work with him to court.
  • sorry that really sucks. do you at least have some formal photos that guests took that you can have?
  • We have a friend who attempted to take some formal shots of us with his camera, but the photographer wouldn't let anyone take pictures.  We got one of us with DH's kids, but we're not looking at the camera.  It's actually in my siggy.  You can see the photographer's camera in the lower left corner.  Sigh....  :( 

Whenever we try to email the photographer, he NEVER emails us back.   My DH would have to call him.  The photographer would call him back, sometimes.  So, I have the emails I attempted to send them, with no replies.  But, everyone has been said over the phone.  So, no real documentation. 

I checked the status on our complaint filed with the BBB.  They have until May 17th to respond now.  So..  we wait.  In the mean time, we are planning our re-takes for May 23rd. 

I googled some info on similar situations.  There was a couple who took their claim to small claims court, and won.  The judge found the pictures to be 'woefully inadequate'.  Her pictures, looked better than mine....  So, I think I would have a good case.  Plus, I have friends who are attorneys who I could meet with about the situation. 

Uggh!!

Frown

We did ask thru our complaint to have 1/3 of the money we paid to be paid back to us.  If he does not comply, I will look in to taking him to small claims court.  I think there's a  lot of $ involved to do so.  But, I don't want this guy to think he can get away with this. 
    We're married!!! 12-12-09
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
  • put them on wedding wire and every wedding rating site out there. How awful!!!!
    my mother had something worse happen. my dad's sister is a very talented photographer but kind of an airhead. She volunteered to take photographs, and ended up not loading the camera with film.... they have like 4 pictures of their wedding day, and those were taken by friends.
  • If you try to take him to court, it might not be very successful.  I hate to say it, but that's my best guess.

Your contract probably did not guarentee that you were going to receive certain poses.  So the fact that he did give you 400 shots, probably means he technically held up his end of the contract.  It's quite possible that he did infact mis-place the card, but it's also possible that his equipment problems caused the other pictures to not turn out.

What I suggest is to contact him for 2 reasons, ask for part of you money back because you were unhappy with the service (scrutinize the contract to see if you can find anything to help your case) and if need be, explain that you intend to put that money towards another photo session to caputre the shots that he didn't provide.  Secondly, ask to see if you can get permission from him to have a 3rd party edit the dark pictures so that you can print those.  These do have copywrite protection and you do need his permission to do that editing work.

Then, if he agrees, find someone with photoshop or go online and use a free editing software to improve these pictures.

Lastly, don't be afraid to let the locals know that you were unhappy with his service.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards