Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

When Do I Buy the Gift?

One of my girlfriend's just told me last week that her and her BF are getting married in the courthouse on August 7th, and she wants me along with two other friends to be there as a witness. However, she's having a wedding next year sometime and I will be one of the bridesmaids in that ceremony. I'm confused about when I am supposed to get the wedding present. Do I give it to them for the August 7th marriage or wait for the wedding next year? There isn't a registry built yet, this is all very new.
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: When Do I Buy the Gift?

• Options
    arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Your friend is not having a wedding next year. Her wedding is August 7th because that is when she is getting married. The event next year is nothing more than a show-all party (PPD--see the other threads devoted to explaining this). What your friend is doing is rude and against etiquette.

But to answer your question: gifts are never required. If you still feel inclined to get the couple a wedding gift, you can wait until a registry is established, hopefully by August 7th.

People who throw PPDs never get a gift from me.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    One of my girlfriend's just told me last week that her and her BF are getting married in the courthouse on August 7th, and she wants me along with two other friends to be there as a witness. However, she's having a wedding next year sometime and I will be one of the bridesmaids in that ceremony. I'm confused about when I am supposed to get the wedding present. Do I give it to them for the August 7th marriage or wait for the wedding next year? There isn't a registry built yet, this is all very new.

Since your friend is getting married on August 7, I would give her a gift on August 7th.

I would not be giving a gift for a reenactment

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First your friend is planning a PPD for next year.  That will not be her wedding.  It will instead be some ridiculous reenactment of what is actually going to happen this August.  Hopefully your friend is going to be truthful to all of her family and friends and not lie about her marital status for an entire year.  It is also kind of shitty that she asked you to be a part of a fake wedding, which will end up costing you money.  And since she will be married already, then hopefully she won't expect a shower or bach party, because that ship will have sailed when she gets married on August 7th.

As for your question, since she is getting married and having her wedding on August 7th that is when I would be getting her a gift.  And I would not be getting her anything at her PPD next year.

• Options
    Give her the gift when she gets married, not when she has her vow renewal PPD.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Your friend seems to not understand what words like "marriage" and "wedding" actually mean. 

i'd give her a gift on August 7th since that's the day she's actually having a wedding and getting married. (I'd also probably step down from being a BM. I don't even like being one for an actual wedding, no way would I do it for a PPD)
  • Options
    Your friend's wedding will be on August 7. If you'd like to get her a wedding gift, you should do it then.  

The later event will not be a wedding, since she'll already be married. Gifts are not usually given for vow renewals.

Personally, I would decline to be a bridesmaid at a vow renewal. How can you be a bridesmaid when there is no bride?
  • Options
    I would give a gift at the courthouse ceremony.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Your friend is not having a wedding next year. Her wedding is August 7th because that is when she is getting married. The event next year is nothing more than a show-all party (PPD--see the other threads devoted to explaining this). What your friend is doing is rude and against etiquette.

But to answer your question: gifts are never required. If you still feel inclined to get the couple a wedding gift, you can wait until a registry is established, hopefully by August 7th.

I don't believe the registry will be up by that time. From what I'm gathering the real "wedding dress" shopping, bachelorette party, bridal shower (if someone throws it for her), etc. is going to happen for whatever is happening next year and in August it's courthouse and dinner after. I guess I could just do a gift card for the August wedding.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll give the gift at the August 7th wedding coming up. Bed, Bath and Beyond gift card never hurt anyone.
  • Options

I don't believe the registry will be up by that time. From what I'm gathering the real "wedding dress" shopping, bachelorette party, bridal shower (if someone throws it for her), etc. is going to happen for whatever is happening next year and in August it's courthouse and dinner after. I guess I could just do a gift card for the August wedding.
    Her "real" wedding is on August 7th. You may want to let her know that.
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Can you please send your friend here?  I think that she needs some information about what a wedding is.  

Also, i'm sorry you have to be a wifesmaid next year. . . . paying all that money for a reenactment!
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Is this the same friend who told you the subway was scary?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Bridal showers and bachelorette parties are for.....brides and bachelorettes. That is, women who are not married. Your friend will be a wife at that point. Such events are inappropriate. 

You do realize that your friend is getting married on August 7th, right? Like, that is her wedding day. She doesn't get another unless she and her partner divorce between August 7th and their redo next year.
  • Options
    KatWAG said:
    Is this the same friend who told you the subway was scary?
    LOL I've taken the subway my entire life until I moved- she didn't say it was scary, just the particular 7 train that we used to take together has had shit go down recently so she was giving me a head's up. No this is one of my Air Force friends where I'm stationed now.
  • Options
    redoryx said:

Bridal showers and bachelorette parties are for.....brides and bachelorettes. That is, women who are not married. Your friend will be a wife at that point. Such events are inappropriate. 

You do realize that your friend is getting married on August 7th, right? Like, that is her wedding day. She doesn't get another unless she and her partner divorce between August 7th and their redo next year.
    I understand all of this, but all of this is going to take place regardless. I'm not helping with any of the planning. I was just informed of what's to come.
  • Options
    Since it's a wedding gift, give it to her at the wedding (Aug. 7th). 

Whatever she is planning for next year is not a "wedding" since no one is being wed. It'll be your friend (a wife) playing dress up as a bride and soliciting gifts from people. Since you will have given her gifts at her actual wedding, there's no need to give her one at that event.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    edited July 2015
    redoryx said:

I understand all of this, but all of this is going to take place regardless. I'm not helping with any of the planning. I was just informed of what's to come.
    I'm glad you're not involving yourself in this train wreck. Personally, I wouldn't even have been a bridesmaid in a fake wedding, but to each his own.

ETA: I just remembered that I was a fake mother of the bride in a fake wedding at my high school. I took a class where we plan weddings, take care of fake babies and get a divorce. So I sort of lied.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    Since her wedding is on August 7, giver her the gift then. What she is having next year is a PPD, which I would not give a gift for.
  • Options
    Are you really going to buy a bridesmaid dress for a pretend wedding? Just thought I'd ask since you already solved your question from the OP.
  • Options
    Are you really going to buy a bridesmaid dress for a pretend wedding? Just thought I'd ask since you already solved your question from the OP.
    I'm curious about this too.  No way I'd knowingly play dressup bridesmaid for a fake bride.  I'm honestly not even certain I'd attend a fake wedding though maybe I would if I was invited to the real wedding (which you are).  

I have a friend who got married in January, had a baby in June, and is planning "something" for September.  I'm not entirely certain what this "something" entails as the only details I've gotten for it was a mass evite requesting my mailing address.  One, if you want my address, ask me for it, don't request it through mass anything.  Two, I wasn't invited to the real wedding, there's no way in hell I'll be traveling from Chicago to Seattle for your "something," whether it be just a cool party or a full on redo.
  • Options
    If this friend asked me to be a "bridesmaid" in her "wedding" I likely wouldn't be able to say no, unless I wanted to risk the friendship. Just because she's doing one very rude, very inconsiderate, very selfish thing (having a PPD) doesn't mean she's an all-around terrible person I want out of my life. 

Instead, I would likely just be very passive-aggressive about the whole thing, with a lot of "jokes". 
    Q: "Are you coming bridemaid dress shopping with us?"
    A: "Oh, who's the bride?! You're already married!"

or 

Q: "Can you come to the bachelorette party?"
    A: "Who are we celebrating? You're not a bachelorette! But I can come to a girls night out in your honor!"
  • Options
    MandyMost said:
    If this friend asked me to be a "bridesmaid" in her "wedding" I likely wouldn't be able to say no, unless I wanted to risk the friendship. Just because she's doing one very rude, very inconsiderate, very selfish thing (having a PPD) doesn't mean she's an all-around terrible person I want out of my life. 

Instead, I would likely just be very passive-aggressive about the whole thing, with a lot of "jokes". 
    Q: "Are you coming bridemaid dress shopping with us?"
    A: "Oh, who's the bride?! You're already married!"

or 

Q: "Can you come to the bachelorette party?"
    A: "Who are we celebrating? You're not a bachelorette! But I can come to a girls night out in your honor!"
    On August 17th or whenever I next saw this newly wedded friend, I'd probably tell her that seeing her get married 10 days ago was so wonderful and meaningful that the redo next year just isn't going to mean as much to me.  So, I think I'd rather just experience the party as a guest rather than a bridesmaid because I feel so special to have had the honor being there for the Real Wedding that a fake redo just won't feel right.  But I can't wait to get my dancing shoes on and party down with you at the party!
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Agreed, gift August 7th, for her wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards