Wedding Invitations & Paper

Is including directions in invitations out of date?

I am having a fairly formal wedding and starting to put together my wedding invitations. I am having pockets and want to include info cards (hotel information, important times, visit our wedding website, etc.). Is it still necessary to include an insert with specific directions if traveling from example, east, south, north, or west to the venue? This seems to be somewhat lengthy, but also with technology where it is now, most people I know will use their GPS or lookup directions on-line on their own. Is it ok to just include the addresses and let people look up how to get their on their own? I also have the detailed directions on our wedding website, but I', sure there is a crowd that might not visit the website even if I include it in the invitation. I'm getting married in a centrally located area in the city (and only 2 blocks from the hotel our out of town guests are staying in), so including an insert with such detailed directions seemed sort of out of date to me, but I might be wrong on this. Thoughts?

Re: Is including directions in invitations out of date?

• Most people won't need the directions, but I don't think it's out of date and is a nice inclusion if you're doing pockets with inserts. My grandfather is a good example. Shortly before he passed a few years ago, he was so worried my aunt wouldn't be able to pick him up at my dad's new house because no way was their rural street on a map in the Atlas. I assured him she would use her GPS and not the Atlas, and he just couldn't accept that the GPS would do what I told him it could. LOL
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I don't think including directions is necessary, but it is a nice idea for the technologically-challenged if you have any such persons among your guests. 

• I don't think it's necessary to include directions if you're including the address, especially if you're centrally located and it'll be easy to find. 

I got married in a small town, so the church and reception hall were only a few blocks apart, and the church was right behind the hotel, as it happened.  I did a Google map of the three locations flagged, and then just did a screen grab and put that on invitation, along with the addresses.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • I don't think it's necessary. 

If you have a couple of guests who you think actually need hard copy directions, you could print some at home and include them in just those invitations.
    *********************************************************************************

• I am having a fairly formal wedding and starting to put together my wedding invitations. I am having pockets and want to include info cards (hotel information, important times, visit our wedding website, etc.). Is it still necessary to include an insert with specific directions if traveling from example, east, south, north, or west to the venue? This seems to be somewhat lengthy, but also with technology where it is now, most people I know will use their GPS or lookup directions on-line on their own. Is it ok to just include the addresses and let people look up how to get their on their own? I also have the detailed directions on our wedding website, but I', sure there is a crowd that might not visit the website even if I include it in the invitation. I'm getting married in a centrally located area in the city (and only 2 blocks from the hotel our out of town guests are staying in), so including an insert with such detailed directions seemed sort of out of date to me, but I might be wrong on this. Thoughts?
    While not necessary, I wouldn't mind receiving directions even if I don't use them.  If you don't include directions, be sure to put the address of your location in your own GPS or google maps and see if you get there.  Sometimes the physical address will take you to the street just out in front of the hotel when the hotel is actually the third building back.  Or the driveway to actually access the venue is on a side street that has to be accessed from a frontage road and not actually on the highway.  Just make sure the address you're giving out is actually GPS-able.
  • I don't think it's necessary, but I would have said it was unnecessary 25 years ago too. 

If you have an extra insert card and the space to print them, it's a nice touch. If you don't have room and think it's easy to find, don't worry about it. 

FWIW, the people who are unlikely to be using GPS are the same people that are unlikely to look at your wedding website. 
  • I think it's a matter of knowing your guests. Are your guests fairly tech savy? If so, I would say skip it. If you have a fair number of guests who aren't tech savy, you may want to include it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards