Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Wedding Announcements with Photo: Wait for professional wedding photo or use engagement photo?

Hi everyone. I'm having a small destination wedding with immediate family and a few friends. Due to the situation, my family and I are sending wedding announcements to those unable to come and who aren't invited. My mom feels its important to include a photo as many of our distant relatives have not met my fiancé and would like to know what he looks like. 

Thus, I currently have my wedding announcements (with engagement photo on it) in an online shopping bag ready to be purchased. I'm torn because while I was browsing options, I noticed the majority used a photo of the couple from the actual wedding and I really loved the idea of incorporating a photo for those who were unable to attend.

However, after searching online for guidelines of wedding announcement etiquette, it seemed the consensus is that you send them either on the day of your wedding or the day before/after. Thus, I wouldn't be able to incorporate a photo from the wedding due to the order turn around time (about 2 days if rushed shipping). Additionally, I've read that wedding photos can take weeks to months to receive.

Thoughts?

Re: Wedding Announcements with Photo: Wait for professional wedding photo or use engagement photo?

• Options
    Generally you do want to send them ASAP.

However, you don't have to use a professional photo. Ask a family member to take one at the wedding and email it to you. Order your announcements that day or the next and send them as soon as you can. 

If I received a wedding announcement a week or two after the actually wedding, I would not think it was odd. I WOULD think it was odd if I received it a month or two later.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I agree with PP. Generally announcements are sent within a few days of the wedding, but there's nothing wrong with sending them a week or so later, but waiting for pro pics to come back is probably too late. 

Still, I don't think it matters what picture you use. It's fine to use an e-pic if you prefer. 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    Wedding announcements are brief and include only essential information.  Enclosing a photo is not taboo, but personally, I wouldn't have one printed on the announcement.  JMHO.

Mr. and Mrs. Bridesparents
    announce the marriage of their daughter
    Bride's First Middle
    to
    Mr. Groom's Full Name
    Date
    City, State

or

Bride's Fuil Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    announce their marriage
    Date
    City, State

They do not need to be sent on the day of your wedding.  Anytime in the next two months is fine.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    If all they want is a picture of your fiance because they don't even know what the poor guy looks like or how cute you are together, go ahead an use any photo you have.  Personally, I wouldn't want to have to deal with getting a wedding picture quickly, getting announcements made up quickly, and addressing and stamping and mailing them out quickly after my wedding.  I'd want to chill.  So include an engagement photo if you want to add a photo at all.  And send a wedding photo in your Christmas card.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry about what photo to use.  The important thing is that the announcements go out.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Thanks everyone! I ended up ordering the announcements with this photo on the front and the traditional announcement wording on the back and will send them out either the night before or day of the wedding. Hope this works! :)

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I ended up ordering the announcements with this photo on the front and the traditional announcement wording on the back and will send them out either the night before or day of the wedding. Hope this works! :)

I love it!  Have a great wedding!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards