Chit Chat
Options

Smart?

CMGragainCMGragain member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited July 2015 in Chit Chat
I need to read this article first thing every morning!  I wanted to share.

http://www.succeedsocially.com/intellectual

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Smart?

• Options
    I'm confused.. are you telling us that you are super intellectual? 

I must be really dumb because I'm not getting anything out of this, I'm just going to keep being me and say fuck it if someone doesn't like that.. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    VulgarGirlVulgarGirl member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    I think all of the regs on The Knot are smart.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    I used a lot of this when raising my children.  They were taken out of the general public school population and sent to nerd school, kind of like "Malcolm in the Middle".  I didn't want them to get the idea that being smart made them any better than other people.  I still like the article.  My daughter sent it to me.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    CMGragain said:
    I used a lot of this when raising my children.  They were taken out of the general public school population and sent to nerd school, kind of like "Malcolm in the Middle".  I didn't want them to get the idea that being smart made them any better than other people.  I still like the article.  My daughter sent it to me.
    Wow. Wow. Just. Holy fuck. Wow.

Yo, my parents are far from perfect but praise whatever deity is listing they didn't call my gifted classes "nerd" classes. 
    Well, that is what my kids, and the other students in that school, called themselves.  With the rise of the nerd or geek culture, that term seems to have become more acceptable in their circles.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    As someone who works at a tech company, I can back up PPs in saying that usually, people who do this shit are just asshats.

"Inappropriately correcting people" and "Being argumentative" are my favorites. My boss does this ALL. THE. TIME. including to clients. He will argue about anything and everything, EVEN when he is WRONG. He will literally argue about something completely incorrect and be incorrect and still argue. And he turns it around to make it seem like you're just too stupid to understand. I've gotten to the point where I just find it amusing. It's his company, so if he wants to scare away clients...then be my guest? 

That being said, I've met absolutely brilliant people who are sweet and kind and wonderful. 

And FTR, I'm not talking about being with actual social impairment. There is a difference between being bad at socializing and just being an asshole. 
  • Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    abcdevonn said:
    As someone who works at a tech company, I can back up PPs in saying that usually, people who do this shit are just asshats.

"Inappropriately correcting people" and "Being argumentative" are my favorites. My boss does this ALL. THE. TIME. including to clients. He will argue about anything and everything, EVEN when he is WRONG. He will literally argue about something completely incorrect and be incorrect and still argue. And he turns it around to make it seem like you're just too stupid to understand. I've gotten to the point where I just find it amusing. It's his company, so if he wants to scare away clients...then be my guest? 

That being said, I've met absolutely brilliant people who are sweet and kind and wonderful. 

And FTR, I'm not talking about being with actual social impairment. There is a difference between being bad at socializing and just being an asshole. 
    Yes, I agree.  These people are exhibiting learned behavior.  I used to cringe at some of the parents in that school who would openly brag about their kid's IQ score in front of the child.  The school science fair was the worst.  The parents were competing - not the kids.  The teachers were very aware of which kids did their own work, and which kids submitted the parent-do projects.  My son (now age 33)still needs reminding, and life often gives him just that kick in the butt that he needs.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    abcdevonn said:

The bolded is so true. My dad has worked with a ton of "book smart" people through his job - ie people with nuclear physics PHD's and whatnot (he's not part of this group of people BTW). He said  the most intellectual people he's met are the most humble and kind he's ever met as well. On the flip side, the ones who are loud, obnoxious and who try to flaunt how much they know are the ones who are actually really stupid.

And I definitely agree with him - if you have to tell others how smart you are, then you're really not.

Formerly martha1818

• Options

CMGragain said:
    CMGragain said:

Yo, my parents are far from perfect but praise whatever deity is listing they didn't call my gifted classes "nerd" classes. 
    Well, that is what my kids, and the other students in that school, called themselves.  With the rise of the nerd or geek culture, that term seems to have become more acceptable in their circles.
    Yeah and I call myself a dyke. But you refer to me as one I'll read you the fucking riot act.

You aren't part of the group, you don't use the words. 
    Doesn't that create a horrible double standard?  If a word is offensive, it should be offensive regardless of who uses it?  I do understand your point, but feel that if we allow any one, whether they belong to the group or not, to continue to use offensive words, we may never stop the use of those words.

• Options

CMGragain said:
    CMGragain said:

Yeah and I call myself a dyke. But you refer to me as one I'll read you the fucking riot act.

You aren't part of the group, you don't use the words. 
    Doesn't that create a horrible double standard?  If a word is offensive, it should be offensive regardless of who uses it?  I do understand your point, but feel that if we allow any one, whether they belong to the group or not, to continue to use offensive words, we may never stop the use of those words.
    It's reappropriation. It's the cultural take back of a word that was deemed offensive by the group that it was aimed at. It's to take the sting and bite out of the word and give it a different meaning. 

Yes there are words that should never be reappropriated, but then there are others that can be. T
  • Options

Most of these "mistakes by intellectuals" are actually "how people act when they have an inflated sense of self" or "how people act when they are actually super insecure so they feel the need to put themselves above others by being condescending and a general douchebag."

These were exactly my thoughts when I skimmed through this article, which I actually found sort of offensive and I couldn't even read through the whole thing. I consider myself an "intellectual" and "smart" (whatever those things mean), but I would not suggest that this makes me any better than anyone else. Everything here is total common sense - basically don't belittle others or be generally obnoxious. It's as simple as that.
  • Options
    Not everything has to be about being gay, does it?
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    CMGragain said:
    Not everything has to be about being gay, does it?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    What's wrong with lady? (Or did I miss something?)

To be perfectly honest, I wish everyone would stop calling grown women girls. We wouldn't refer to a grown man as a boy. Infantilizing women and all that. 
  • Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    edited July 2015