Chit Chat
Options

This Actually Happened

edited July 2015 in Chit Chat
Interviewing someone today who said, and I quote, "I am even tempered and try to get along with Hillbillies, Rednecks, and others."

Wut?

ETA:  Other recruiters / interviews- care to share your "Yep, this really happened" stories?

Re: This Actually Happened

• Options
    Whaaaaaaaaat. Bahahaha!

Seriously, this person couldn't just say "I get along with everyone"?!
  • Options
    abcdevonn said:
    Whaaaaaaaaat. Bahahaha!

But he doesn't get along with everyone.  He just TRIES to...

• Options
    I've had people ask if they could use their parole officer as a reference. Whether smoke breaks were paid, and if they could have have at least four in a six hour shift. I've had moms call in to set up for interviews when I have left messages on home answering machines and then get upset with me when I explain that I cannot do that.

Oh so many things...
  • Options
    WTF? That's awful. And why single those groups out, of all others?
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    abcdevonn said:
    Whaaaaaaaaat. Bahahaha!

But he doesn't get along with everyone.  He just TRIES to...

Sweet jesus, this person needs some serious interview coaching.
  • Options
    I've had people ask if they could use their parole officer as a reference. Whether smoke breaks were paid, and if they could have have at least four in a six hour shift. I've had moms call in to set up for interviews when I have left messages on home answering machines and then get upset with me when I explain that I cannot do that.

Oh so many things...
    Yes.  What I see a lot of is parents calling for children and also wives/girlfriends.  Feel free to help job seekers behind the scenes but as soon as it's time to really interact w/ a company, those helpers need to grab some bench.

Had a dad email about two weeks ago saying his son was so upset about being fired and was pleading the kid's case.  If the guy was so upset about losing his job, why didn't he make the call himself? 
  • Options

Oh so many things...
    Yes.  What I see a lot of is parents calling for children and also wives/girlfriends.  Feel free to help job seekers behind the scenes but as soon as it's time to really interact w/ a company, those helpers need to grab some bench.

Had a dad email about two weeks ago saying his son was so upset about being fired and was pleading the kid's case.  If the guy was so upset about losing his job, why didn't he make the call himself? 
    I'm sure kid's verison and your are different too!

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Nothing to do with interviews but when I talked to someone at one of my prospected venues she said" yes we even have salmon for you know, vegetarians." I tried so hard not to laugh but I did give her my biggest grin.
  • Options
    I had a guy have a heart attack. He didn't say anything was wrong but he was sweating really badly and I asked if he wanted a glass of water. When I got back with it the poor man was on the floor. I called 911 but was lucky to have a coworker who was in school to be an EMT.
  • Options
    debbeau said:
    I had a guy have a heart attack. He didn't say anything was wrong but he was sweating really badly and I asked if he wanted a glass of water. When I got back with it the poor man was on the floor. I called 911 but was lucky to have a coworker who was in school to be an EMT.

debbeau said:
    I forgot to add he recovered and I did hire him.
    That is crazy

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    AddieCake said:
    WTF? That's awful. And why single those groups out, of all others?

Well, because it's politically incorrect (and often illegal) to discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, sexual orientation, etc.  I don't think any of those laws say anything about discriminating against you based on being a redneck or hillbilly. So, he just picked out the groups he could legally refer to without being considered discriminatory.

• Options
    I'm currently working in a college admissions office and a mother sent us an appeal letter on behalf of her son, whom we rejected for admission. One line in the letter said:

"Although his grades are far from perfect, he once split a single peice of Trident gum into 3 parts so that each of his friends could have some. Now, isn't that the kind of person you want attending XYZ University?"

We recently dismissed a student for an egregious conduct violation. It's not behavior that is bad in general, but it's bad when you consider the profession the education is preparing the student for. Her mom wrote this massively long appeal letter accusing the school of all sorts of other ridiculous crap- that we can't even comment on to her due to privacy law- and then demanded we either reinstate her daughter or refund all her tuition. The reply to the mother was, in so many words, "your kid broke the code of conduct, a rule that is also part of the profession's code of ethics and the state licensing board's disciplinary code. No, you're not getting your money back and no, she's not being reinstated."

She also threatened to take the story to the news, which would be stupid-- sure, broadcast everywhere that your daughter broke a professional rule and how evil we are. She'll never get educated or hired anywhere else for that profession! You do that. Go ahead now. Eye roll. 

• Options
    It's really hard to get along with rednecks and hillbillies sometimes!
  • Options
    I was in a group interview a few months ago at which a co-applicant went on for about five minutes about how she would do ANYTHING for this job except anything ILLEGAL. They finally cut her off because we were each only allotted three minutes to speak.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    It's been a "good" week for random recruiting-related "weirdness."

I got a resume from someone named Shitina- can't help but wonder what her parents were thinking and feel bad for her; bet her playground years were awful.

ETF:  typo. 
  • Options

I don't have any strange stories from the hiring side, but there is one [phone] interview I had as an applicant several years ago that sticks out.  It didn't go well. It also seemed like the woman made up her mind about me before we even spoke. But that wasn't what bothered me; I was thinking, fine I don't have the job, no big deal.  Towards the end I asked her about her background and what attracted her to he company.  She [very rudely] asked if I'd looked at her LinkedIn profile [I had] and said - well, what do YOU think?

That's like someone asking me about my background and me responding, well, you looked at my resume so what the hell do you think?

I was appalled.

• Options
    vikinganna87 !!!

• Options

I got a resume from someone named Shitina- can't help but wonder what her parents were thinking and feel bad for her; bet her playground years were awful.

Tell me her last name was Can.  Or Barrell.  Or Pond or River or something else that makes some sense to shit into!!!!
  • Options
    I once had someone insist - repeatedly - that I conduct a phone interview on an evening or weekend. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    adk19 said:

Tell me her last name was Can.  Or Barrell.  Or Pond or River or something else that makes some sense to shit into!!!!
    I'm hoping for Shitina Box.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I once had someone insist - repeatedly - that I conduct a phone interview on an evening or weekend. 
    ...perhaps it was the same poster who came on TK that was clueless as to why she couldn't ask her interviewer for a weekend interview.
    I was thinking the same thing!  "But lots of people work on weekends!  Why can't I be interviewed on the weekend???  I'll be working on weekends, so it makes sense, right?"
  • Options
    ...perhaps it was the same poster who came on TK that was clueless as to why she couldn't ask her interviewer for a weekend interview.
    I was actually kidding and referencing that girl. 

Shrug. I thought it was funny.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    I was actually kidding and referencing that girl. 

Shrug. I thought it was funny.
    Apparently I don't have much faith in humanity as I thought there were multiple people out there who were that stupid.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards