Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Bounced Checks

I was married over the weekend in my home state.  We received a large amount of cash/checks from family and friends.  We felt really uncomfortable bring that much cash/checks through the airport, so we went through all the cards (made a list of each person's gift) and deposited the money into our bank.

Today a guest informed us that their check is going to bounce.  I'm not sure what I can do about this because my bank is going to charge me a fee.   Also, what do I do about writing a thank you card for a bounced check? 

Re: Bounced Checks

• Options
    DarthV8rDarthV8r member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2015

I was married over the weekend in my home state.  We received a large amount of cash/checks from family and friends.  We felt really uncomfortable bring that much cash/checks through the airport, so we went through all the cards (made a list of each person's gift) and deposited the money into our bank.

Today a guest informed us that their check is going to bounce.  I'm not sure what I can do about this because my bank is going to charge me a fee.   Also, what do I do about writing a thank you card for a bounced check? 
    call your bank and explained what happened maybe they will waive the fee. Also I wouldn't write a thank you note. The check bounced so really there wasn't a gift given. I would make sure I have told the guest Thank you for the gesture and that all is well and not to worry about it. They are probably embarrassed.

• Options
    If you don't regularly deposit checks that bounce, your bank will probably be willing to waive the fee.  If not, you just suck it up, sadly.  And PP is right about not thanking someone for a check they gave you that actually cost you money, they don't get a TY note.
  • Options
    I would still send them a thank you card for attending the wedding.  Even though the check bounced, I'm assuming it came in a congratulatory card which they could still be thanked for.  But that's just my opinion.  I had guests give cards, but no gift and I still sent them a thank you for attending. 
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd still send the TY note but as a TY for attending.

And contact the bank to see if they can waive the fee and / or not process that check. 
  • Options
    What's to say they're not going to send another cheque or cash in the mail? 
  • Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I would call your bank ASAP, let them know the situation and see if they will waive the fee. Otherwise, you unfortunately suck it up. No TY note unless another gift is given.
  • Options
    Call your bank, give them a heads up, and ask them to waive the fee.  (They might not, but at least you've tried.)  But don't send a thank-you note.  You didn't get a gift.
  • Options
    I had that happen. I called my bank and they waived the fee. I wouldn't send a TY note. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    If you explain the situation to your bank they might waive the fee.  This happened to one of my sisters when she was married and her bank waived it.  You could write a card thanking the guest for attending (it's what I did for guests who did not give a gift), or perhaps a new check is in the mail and then you could thank them for that?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards