Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Do you Bring a gift or not????

When going to a Vole Renewal should you bring a gift or not?  The couple is having the church wedding and service after but is this the same as a 1st time wedding... Their 1st time they ran away and got married at the court house in the next state.  So gift or no gift?

Re: Do you Bring a gift or not????

• Options
    When going to a Vole Renewal should you bring a gift or not?  The couple is having the church wedding and service after but is this the same as a 1st time wedding... Their 1st time they ran away and got married at the court house in the next state.  So gift or no gift?
    It's completely up to you, but they're having a vow renewal, not a wedding (and not a vole renewal).  I probably wouldn't.

• Options
    But is it a "vow renewal" or are the having their marriage "blessed"? In the Catholic tradition, that's a "convalidation." Still, the gift is up to you.
  • Options
    For me, it would depend on my relationship with the couple and whether or not it was a true vow renewal.

Like PP said, if it's my aunt and uncle with whom I'm close and they're celebrating 15-20 years? I'm gonna get them something pretty nice. If it is a distant cousin with whom I'm not super close celebrating 15 - 20 years, I would bring a gift but something smaller.

If it is a "vow renewal" after only a few years because the couple wants a re-do or for any other reason than making it through a super difficult time, nope.

Obviously there are all kinds of caveats to my logic; I'm basically trying to say that I think this is dependent on what you feel you should give based on that nature of the renewal and your relationship to the couple.
  • Options
    I would take a gift because I just feel wrong not doing so.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

I'm on board with another poster who said it depends on if they are doing this just to have a church service, to have their marriage blessed, or to celebrate a significant anniversary. If it were to celebrate a significate anniversary like 25 or 50, I would probably endup giving them a gift & it would be cash so that they can use it towards a trip or to buy something they have been wanting.

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree that I would base it on your relationship with the couple.

My grandparents renewed their vows at 25 and 50 years. I think those are pretty big milestones and I would get a gift.

Otherwise, it depends. Perhaps something small.
  • Options
    I think a vow renewal is just an anniversary party with more pomp and circumstance. If you would bring a gift for an anniversary party like this, then bring a gift. If not, then don't. Either way I'd likely bring a nice card.
  • Options
    I would bring a gift.  I would feel odd not too.

BTW - I love your siggy picture.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    I would feel weird not bringing one, but it would be more like a bottle of wine and gift basket of edible goodies instead of sheets, towels or cash. KWIM?
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

For me it would depend on circumstances.

If the occasion is a major anniversary milestone, like a 25th or 50th anniversary, I would do it.

But if the couple is trying to give themselves the "wedding" they didn't have because they eloped/went to the courthouse, etc., then no, probably not.

• Options
    According to the I do, take 2 website, gifts are not expected at a vow renewal, but it is always your option to give a gift if you wish.  I would definitely get a nice card of congratulations.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    They are not having a wedding.  You cannot get married  when  you are already married.  It is called a vow renewal, not a wedding.  How fancy their celebration  is does not change anything.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards