Chit Chat

White House tour / what to wear?

Has anyone done a White House tour before? I'm wondering what the appropriate dress would be? I was thinking a dress, but then wasn't sure if sleeves would be more appropriate, or if a sleeveless (not thin straps or anything, bra is def. covered), would work?

I grew up with the customs that shoulders should never be seen in church/respectable places, but now that I live in the Southwest, it's a little more casual. I have  a lot of appropriate dresses (I'm a teacher), but wasn't sure if I should bring a sweater, or plan on something else to wear. 

Anyone else have any tips who has done one before?

Re: White House tour / what to wear?

• You will see people wearing pretty much anything on the tour.  There are not dress restrictions that I know of.  Although it's been a long time since I did the tour.    I'm thinking Reagan was in office.

I was young, but I just wore shorts, top and sneakers.  We were doing a lot of walking that day, so I was comfortable.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I used to work at the White House. I assume you are doing an East Wing tour? If so, I would dress nicely, business casual.

Personally I would not wear sleeveless, but I have seen people wear sweatpants.

If it is the west wing, there are strict dress codes. It basically boils down to business professional attire.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    I'll assume East Wing. I'm going to visit a girlfriend for a few days and she got it arranged. I'm guessing if it were West Wing, with dress codes, she would tell me? Hopefully lol
  • When DH and I were in DC a couple of years ago, we did dress a little nicer for the Capitol tour (I had on a sundress with a cardigan, he wore khakis and a button up with the sleeves rolled.) I'd have worn the same for the WH tour if it was open when we were there.
    Amor vincet omnia.... par liones.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• IMO, you can't go wrong with Business Casual (unless, of course, it is the West Wing, but I would assume it isn't).
  • Can you wear me?!?!?  LOL.  I was in DC when SS cut the WH tours so we didn't get to go and I was so bummed.

We did business casual for Capital Hill.  Also, if you want that tour, stop into your local Congressmans office and they have interns who will provide those and they're way better than the arranged one.  Those are in huge groups with shifty headphones.
  • Just don't wear flip flops! The horror!!

But have fun, sounds interesting! 

• I went on a White House tour 2 years ago and there was no dress code. My friends and I wore comfortable clothes because it was our first stop on a long day of playing tourist.

One heads up, there are very strict rules about what you can bring in with you. It's basically an ID, wallet, keys, and phone, no bags or purses. All the information is here:  https://www.whitehouse.gov/participate/tours-and-events  

It was really fun! Enjoy!

• cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Good info, thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards