Wedding 911

10 days out and I'm sick

So my wedding is 10 days away, and when I woke up this morning it turned out that what I was hoping was a passing cold has turned into actually losing my voice. I have an appointment with the doctor this afternoon, so I know I should wait until then to really worry about things, but I'm already freaking out -- we have guests coming in starting Monday, there are still a lot of things to get done, and I just made all the placecards last night so I'm worried I'll have to remake them because of contagion! Not to mention the risk of getting FI sick since he's been crashing with me. 

Did this happen to anyone else? How did you keep yourself calm?! I know that crying or other excessive freaking out is only going to make it worse but I'm having trouble not panicking. 

Re: 10 days out and I'm sick

• Don't panic :) Hot tea and a scarf, even if it's 100% out. You have to keep your throat warm to help it fight anything that's going on in there, in the tea with help break up any germs and pull them down to your stomach where they'll die off.   I used to be a singer and this is what we always did. 
  • Don't worry about the place cards. just get some lysol and you'll be fine.
  • The placecards are made of unfinished paper, though, so I can't really Lysol them without the ink running? 

It isn't 100 degrees out, but it kind of feels like it! For now, though, I am taking advantage of my turtleneck since I am at work and without a scarf. I'll bundle up more once I get home. 
  • Well - let's just say about two weeks before our wedding I was so sick I dropped 18lbs. in 3 days...  I can't recall a time in my life that I ever have been that sick!  OTOH, my nerves about fitting into my wedding dress were put to rest in that moment! LOL  I had no voice, nothing...  AND, I had crap for insurance back then so going to the doc was out of the question, not that they were going to do anything for what I had other than let things run their course anyway...

Even though there is a lot of stress, REST!  You'll be back to getting things done faster by stopping what you're doing and taking a look around.  Yes, take a sick day if you need.  Sometimes laying low, drinking some Honey and OJ (I'm not a tea drinker but this combo works great!  Used to use it while out on the road as a speaker), then vitamin rich foods..  Everything will get done, just relax and leave things for the next day or two...

• Don't panic, you have plenty of time to recover.  Try to really rest and hydrate as that's the only way to get over a virus (if you have a cold).  Seeing a doctor is a good idea and if it's bacterial you'll likely get improvement in 24 hours with an antibiotic.  

Yes, the Monday before our Saturday wedding, DH woke up with one eye completely swollen shut.  Couldn't open it at all and it was the size of half a golf ball. We went straight to Urgent Care (where I got my ideas for favors and ordered them from the waiting room, haha) and he steadily improved over the next 24 hours. He wore his glasses all week and was perfect for the wedding.

Relax and rest.  That is the most important part.  Good luck & get well soon. 
  • Fluids fluid fluids!!

Give yourself permission to rest. This is the time to accept help from others if they offer. Licorice root tea does a sore throat and lost voice good. 
  • I really doubt that you are going to transmit your bad cold to your guests through your placecards.

Ten days is plenty of time to recover.  So just rest, relax and drink lots of fluids (vitamin C is a must).  The more you stress the longer it will take you to recover.

If there are things that absolutely must get done for the wedding, throw them to your FI.

• Water, orange juice, water, gatorade, water, tea, water, tomato juice, water, grapefruit juice, etc.  This is my secret to fighting whatever ails me.  Basically you end up drinking and peeing all damn day, but 90% of the time I don't get really and truly sick.
  • Thanks for all the encouragement and advice, everyone! 

The initial test at the doctor's came back negative for anything, so I have to wait on the lab tests, but when I mentioned the wedding the doctor started me on antibiotics just in case. In the meantime, she recommended all of the same things: rest, fluids, limited talking. So we'll see what happens. 

I realize the placecards thing was probably silly -- I have an embarrassingly poor understanding of how things can actually be transmitted (I tend to assume, when in doubt, it's contagious). I'm relieved to hear that that would probably be OK, though -- I have to turn those into the venue in 2 days so remaking them was just...not going to happen. 

• I got sick right before my wedding. The best thing I did was take a day off from work and relax. I got as much rest as I could and drank a ton of echinacea. Don't be afraid to cancel anything isn't absolutely necessary! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards