Chit Chat

Summer Reading

I know the "what you are reading" thread comes up every now and then but I'm not sure we've had one in a while. In the spring I read all the usual recommendations (all the Gillian Flynns, all the Lianne Moriartys, Girl on the Train, Me Before You, Night Circus).

New for this summer was: Paper Towns (eh, I liked it), Into Thin Air (I'm a sucker for reading the book before the movie comes out... this book was awesome), Room (very disturbing, but a good read), Leaving Time (usually I love Jodi Picoult but this one didn't keep my interest), Down the Rabbit Hole (Holly Madison's --aka Hugh Hefner's former girlfriend's-- tell all about life in the playboy mansion. It was a little cheesy and dumbed down, but I actually enjoyed reading it), and right now I'm about to finish Luckiest Girl Alive which I really like, and am sad that I'll probably be finished with it by tomorrow.

What are you reading this summer?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Summer Reading

• I just finished the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett.  He's one of my favourite authors.  It was a great series

• I just started reading Dan Brown's Inferno.  I recently discovered that my local library/library system lends out ebooks.  I ride the train everyday so lugging heavy books isn't my idea of fun.

I also work someplace I get a lot of free books and I am slowly working my way through them as well.

I have nothing planned for reading this summer, but will read what I come across or strikes my fancy.

• Just finished Girl on the Train. My current read is Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. I'm also working on Selfish, Shallow, And Self-Absorbed by Meghan Daum, a collection essays from 16 writers on their decision to not have children. It's really great so far. 
  • peachy13 said:
    I know the "what you are reading" thread comes up every now and then but I'm not sure we've had one in a while. In the spring I read all the usual recommendations (all the Gillian Flynns, all the Lianne Moriartys, Girl on the Train, Me Before You, Night Circus).

New for this summer was: Paper Towns (eh, I liked it), Into Thin Air (I'm a sucker for reading the book before the movie comes out... this book was awesome), Room (very disturbing, but a good read), Leaving Time (usually I love Jodi Picoult but this one didn't keep my interest), Down the Rabbit Hole (Holly Madison's --aka Hugh Hefner's former girlfriend's-- tell all about life in the playboy mansion. It was a little cheesy and dumbed down, but I actually enjoyed reading it), and right now I'm about to finish Luckiest Girl Alive which I really like, and am sad that I'll probably be finished with it by tomorrow.

What are you reading this summer?

Into Thin Air is one of my favorite books. I've read it a few times. Right now I am reading The Martian and trying to finish Dark Places by Gillian Flynn.
  • Also reading Luckiest Girl Alive- it is intriguing!
  • Oh, I really want to read Into Thin Air!

I recently finished The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro - it was beautifully written but slow/subtle and I had a hard time focusing on it. Before that I read Girl on the Train, which I was disappointed by - I love Gillian Flynn so I had thought this would be similar but I don't think the writing was very good, and the plot was a bit too predictable. Best book of the year that I've read, by far, was All the Light We Cannot See - LOVED IT!

I'm trying to decide what to read next - on my Kindle I have: Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel, The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, and a collection of essays by John Muir.
  • edited July 2015
    New books haven't been catching my eye.  I read The Girl on a Train and I figured out who the "villian" was pretty early on.  I'm pretty good at that over-all.  I think because I read so much... you just get good at identifying the villain / plot twist / etc.

I've been going back to my book shelf an re-reading some of my own books since most new books aren't catching my eye.

I just re-read The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey.  I am going to work on East of Eden by Steinbeck next I think; it's been at least a decade since I've read it.  We'll see what comes after that.

ETA:  I lied, I just finished Inferno by Dan Brown (love his books), before that I read another Dan Brown, The Lost Symbol, and before that was when I read Snow Child.
  • Does anyone else read true crime novels? I'm headed to the library tonight so I'm going to watch this thread to pick up something good to read.  I find I always read more in the summer.
  • With Prime, I get a free Kindle book each month from a choice of 4, so right now I'm reading the one I picked for that. It's called Crooked Little Lies.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I just started reading Dan Brown's Inferno.  I recently discovered that my local library/library system lends out ebooks.  I ride the train everyday so lugging heavy books isn't my idea of fun.

I also work someplace I get a lot of free books and I am slowly working my way through them as well.

I have nothing planned for reading this summer, but will read what I come across or strikes my fancy.
    I just re-read Inferno; love that book.
  • AddieCake said:
    With Prime, I get a free Kindle book each month from a choice of 4, so right now I'm reading the one I picked for that. It's called Crooked Little Lies.

I was seriously just have an internal debate if I should sign up for Prime today -- all these Prime deals are intriguing. Now knowing you get a free book each month is very tempting! 

Is it worth it? Can my FI use the prime benefits for making his own purchases?

• AddieCake said:
    With Prime, I get a free Kindle book each month from a choice of 4, so right now I'm reading the one I picked for that. It's called Crooked Little Lies.

Back when I had Prime, I got one book called Time Bound. It was very good. I miss the free Kindle First program.
  • I just finished The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah.  I really liked it and am going to look into more of her books.

I also read Girl on the Train and thought that it was decent.

I found this list...CLICK and want to check them all out.

• LulawifeLulawife member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2015
    I try and read Summer Sisters by Judy Blume (one of her adult novels) every summer. It's one of my favorites and is an easy poolside read. James Patterson is my favorite author although I'm very far behind on his new releases so I can't recommend any of those. Beach Road and Honeymoon are my personal favorites of his. I am currently rereading The Pilot's Wife (an Oprah book club pick from way back when) because I forgot to bring my kindle to my parents' pool this past weekend and that was the first book I could find in my boxes of stuff in their basement. I don't remember how it ends but so far it is good! 

ETA: Jen Lancaster and Chelsea Handler have written some hysterical memoirs if you are looking for fun, easy reads and are not easily offended! 
  • edited July 2015
    I'm going on vacation soon so I was looking for some fun reads. I just picked up "The Good Girls" by Sara Shepard, "Love Rosie" by Cecelia Ahern and one other I can't remember from the library. I am waiting for "The Rumor" by Elin Hildebrand to come in and "Down the Rabbit Hole" by Holly Madison also. Fun beach reads! 

I would HIGHLY recommend Elin for summer reads. Her books all take place in the summer on the East Coast and are very good.

ETA: I also am waiting for Girl on the Train to come in! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • emoc625 said:
    I try and read Summer Sisters by Judy Blume (one of her adult novels) every summer. It's one of my favorites and is an easy poolside read. James Patterson is my favorite author although I'm very far behind on his new releases so I can't recommend any of those. Beach Road and Honeymoon are my personal favorites of his. I am currently rereading The Pilot's Wife (an Oprah book club pick from way back when) because I forgot to bring my kindle to my parents' pool this past weekend and that was the first book I could find in my boxes of stuff in their basement. I don't remember how it ends but so far it is good! 

OMG I read summer sisters this summer too! I totally forgot to mention it, probably because I read in about 1 1/2 days. I hadn't read it in years and our friend invited us to his parent's beach house on the Vineyard and I thought to myself that I HAD to dig up Summer Sisters for a reread. Never disappoints! 

• Currently reading through the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series by Cassandra Clare, getting ready for the TV show coming up this winter. Then I'm going to continue reading through the Matthew Reilly Sigma Force series.
  • peachy13 said:
    AddieCake said:

I was seriously just have an internal debate if I should sign up for Prime today -- all these Prime deals are intriguing. Now knowing you get a free book each month is very tempting! 

I think it's 100% worth it. No shipping and having your stuff here in 2 days kicks ass. I no longer even bother to look in stores for certain things anymore. I just order online and am done with it. Yes, your fiance can use it. You can add several people to your account. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • AddieCake said:
    peachy13 said:
    AddieCake said:

I think it's 100% worth it. No shipping and having your stuff here in 2 days kicks ass. I no longer even bother to look in stores for certain things anymore. I just order online and am done with it. Yes, your fiance can use it. You can add several people to your account. 

Ditto everything Addie said. I love Prime. For instance - I hate the new shampoo I just bought but can't find the brand I normally buy in the store. Just ordered a new bottle of my regular stuff off of Amazon for cheap and it'll be here by Friday. Bought my dog a raincoat last week and it was here in two days. Anything and everything I could want, I can find on Amazon and usually have it in two days. Plus the free books for my Kindle, and we have the Fire TV stick so we can stream movies and TV shows that you get for free with a Prime membership. 

• Does anyone else read true crime novels? I'm headed to the library tonight so I'm going to watch this thread to pick up something good to read.  I find I always read more in the summer.
    I used to read them a lot, tried to read everything Ann Rule ever wrote.  I still enjoy the genre, but don't read them as much as I used to.

I just re-read Inferno; love that book.
    I'm only a bit into it, but so far it's got my attention.

• Amazon Prime is the jam. Although I don't use the free book function.... going over there to check it out now....
  • I just finished reading a trilogy His Fair Assassins:  Grave Mercy, Dark Triumph & Mortal Heart.  Very fun reads, no great literary works, but fun.  Then again, I'll read just about anything if I enjoy it.

• I recently finished "Repeat" by Neal Pollack. I thought it was great! It's about time travel. I'm not giving away spoilers here--- this guy wakes up in the womb (yeah) on his 40th birthday. He decides to make different choices in life. It's really interesting what he chooses to do, and how.

What other time travel movies and books fail to do is show the mental repercussions. In Repeat, you see the main character begin to deteriorate when forced to keep reliving the same 40 years of his life. 

I thought the book started a bit slow, but I loved the ending. 

• I love Amazon Prime, but I order everything from Amazon and so I use the free 2-day shipping to my advantage. I also have an Amazon Visa card so 3% cash back is really awesome. I have never been interested in most of the free Kindle books that they have available when I've looked, so I don't really use that function. I do use the free streaming though - they have a decent selection.
  • hicoco said:
    I'm going on vacation soon so I was looking for some fun reads. I just picked up "The Good Girls" by Sara Shepard, "Love Rosie" by Cecelia Ahern and one other I can't remember from the library. I am waiting for "The Rumor" by Elin Hildebrand to come in and "Down the Rabbit Hole" by Holly Madison also. Fun beach reads! 

I would HIGHLY recommend Elin for summer reads. Her books all take place in the summer on the East Coast and are very good.

Second this! She is my favorite!

Just finished the newest Mary Higgins Clark novel (because I am secretly 90), I read Finders Keepers by Stephen King which was good, but not as good as Mr. Mercedes ( Finders Keepers is the sequel). I always start the summer with Elin Hildebrand and other beachy reads, but about now is when I get sick of humidity and start wishing for fall, hence the mystery books. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Definitely second the recommendation on The Century Trilogy (Fall of the Giants is the first book) by Ken Follett. It's long, in depth, and just really interesting.

I just re-read the HP series and The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.

If you haven't read Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series you should definitely check it out!

The Girl You Left Behind is the next book on my bookclub list so I'm going to start reading that on my vacation next week. No clue if it's good or not, but it's another book that's being made into a movie!

• hicoco said:

Second this! She is my favorite!

Just finished the newest Mary Higgins Clark novel (because I am secretly 90), I read Finders Keepers by Stephen King which was good, but not as good as Mr. Mercedes ( Finders Keepers is the sequel). I always start the summer with Elin Hildebrand and other beachy reads, but about now is when I get sick of humidity and start wishing for fall, hence the mystery books. 

I am on the waiting list at my library.  We can be 90 together.  I've been reading her since I was a teenager, which was a long time ago.

• Mary Higgins Clark fan here as well. And James Patterson, of course. 
  • Another trilogy (yeah, I like series) that I read recently is The Testing, Independent Study and Graduation.  Post apocalyptic stuff.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards