Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Hoop Skirt or Crinoline Petticoat? How to transform dress shape?

This is my dress (on another bride) It has a good amount of tulle but it lays flat.
I want my dress to look more like the picture below. I really like the shape.
Should I be using a hoop skirt or petticoat to achieve the more round shape at the bottom? 

Re: Hoop Skirt or Crinoline Petticoat? How to transform dress shape?

• Options
    I would say a definite no to a hoop.  That skirt is supposed to be airy and flowy and I think a hoop would deter that.  So I think your best bet is a petticoat, or you could have stiff crinoline sewed into the underside of your skirt so you don't have to wear another undergarment.

But the thing I am noticing between the two pictures is that the top has a lot of the skirt falling on the floor preventing it from really showing the shape of the skirt.  While the bottom picture shows the person standing up on a small platform which allows the skirt to not break on the floor.

• Options
    You could go either way. I'd go to a bridal salon or a lingerie shop that specializes in bridal; they should have options to try out. Hoops are a little easier to walk in than huge amounts of tulle, but IMO they're pretty annoying to sit in, and I can imagine them hampering dancing.

I would guess that the top picture has only the gown on while the bottom picture probably has a crinoline, not a hoop. It might be more than one crinoline.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Maggie0829 you are right the first picture the dress touches the floor. the second picture looks like she may be standing on something. My dress looks like the first one. good point about the hoop skirt making the dress more stiff. not sure if thats what i want. lol.
  • Options
    lachattefatale thats a good idea. I have heard DB has petticoats and hoops in store and they will let you bring in your dress to try them on so maybe i should do that. I have heard pros and cons on the hoops. con - they are hard to sit in and difficult to dance in. pro - i heard they keep everything under the dress cool because you don't have all that fabric laying on your legs. the dress already has some crinoline in it but maybe a petticoat will work in my favor. 
  • Options
    I also want to say that I love your dress.  Like I am having dress envy.  Don't get me wrong I loved my wedding dress (still do), but if I had a redo I would so steal your dress!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards