Chit Chat

Stocking freezer for new parents

So as I mentioned in another thread, my MOH/BFF and her husband just adopted a baby.  I just talked to her and they're heading home today.  They're driving so they won't be home til Saturday night or Sunday.  I'm going over there on Saturday to water her plants, and I'll probably leave her flowers (she loves flowers), and I'd like to leave a few more things.

They don't really have a whole lot of baby things set up as they didn't quite know when they'd get to come home with the baby and what all they'd be buying out in Indiana where they adopted him from.  I was thinking of buying stuff like baby detergent (what brand??) so they can do laundry right away. 

I also would like to stock their fridge/freezer.  I know they both are into Diet Coke so I'll do that.  What are some good freezer meal ideas?  I don't want to do anything too heavy as I know she's trying to lose weight for my wedding in a couple months.  So the usuals like lasagna probably aren't a good idea.  Any ideas?  
Married 9.12.15

Re: Stocking freezer for new parents

• I can't help on the baby supplies but for food:

I recently had several friends that had babies.  For them I made a large pan of lasagne, a large pan of baked mac & cheese and a large meatloaf w/mashed potatoes.

All of these things can be broken down into smaller portions for freezing.

• I don't do it myself, but my SIL will make stuff, throw it in separate Ziploc Freezer bags, labelled.  Basically, she pulls it out, throws the contents of a bag in the crock pot and it's ready.  I'd do something like that, though I have no recipes to help you with.  I'm sure it's easy to find though

• I made a big batch of taco meat and gave all the staples for making tacos and nachos (tortillas, lettuce, cheese, salsa, etc). Taco meat freezes well and you can make it healthier by using 96/4 ground beef. I also did a big pan of 4 cheese ziti. Anything pasta or just sauce would be good. My mom made pulled BBQ chicken for sandwiches.

We did those because they are the favorite foods of the parents. What kind of things does your friend like?

Some other ideas are ChiliChili and Sloppy joes meat.

Something to consider that my friends really appreciated.... I put all the food in Ziploc containers and told them the containers were their's to keep or throw away if they didn't feel like doing dishes. They were eternally grateful for that.
  • I'm a big fan of giving the new couple a GC to a grocery store who delivers.   It's always been a hit.  It seems like a lot of people get food, but it's all that other shit (i.e milk, butter, etc) that becomes the hassle to get the first few weeks.

Personally specking I make a crockpot full of homemade mini-meatballs and sauce.  Then I pack them individually and freeze them.    I also do the same with pulled pork.  I use a food saver, but you can use freezer ziplock too.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Thanks everyone, these are some great ideas.  In the past my friends w/ babies are breastfeeding, so you can do higher calorie meals with them.  The taco idea is probably a good one, that way they can "build their own".  I was also thinking maybe a rotissierie chicken (already broken down) along with quesadilla fixings might be good?  Snacks are a good idea too, didn't think about that.

On a side note, did you know you can train your body to breastfeed even if you haven't been pregnant?  She was telling me about an adoptive mom that did that.  I asked her if she was going to attempt that and she said "hell no". LOL  

Also, that dishwasher basket is a GREAT idea, I'm thinking she probably doesn't have one, I planned on raiding their cabinets/closets while I'm there on Saturday to see if she's hiding a baby stash, but I doubt it.  It's a bit sad really, she miscarried so many times and had 2 failed IVFs (miscarriage also) that she didn't hardly buy anything ahead since she still wasn't sure if it was for real.  No shower either.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • A couple times a year DH makes brisket, pulled chicken, and pulled pork on his smoker.  He portions it up, seals it in vacuum seal bags, and throws them in the freezer. When he wants some, he'll take a bag of it out of the freezer and into the fridge the night before.  Then next day he boils a pot of water and throws the bag, still sealed, into the pot of water.  It heats up the meat in maybe 5 minutes, cut open the bag, add sauce and it's ready to eat. Boiling it in the vacuum sealed bag keeps all the moisture in the meat, so it tastes just as good as the day he smoked it. And he will often cook it several days in a row, so he will just leave the water pot on the stove and reuse it, since the pot doesn't get dirty (all the food is in the bag).  So, getting some BBQ meats that she can do that with may be good since it's quick and easy to reheat.

• On a side note, did you know you can train your body to breastfeed even if you haven't been pregnant?  She was telling me about an adoptive mom that did that.  I asked her if she was going to attempt that and she said "hell no". LOL  

It's called a wet nurse. Used to be very common in old times when rich ppl had nannies or nurses for their babies and the moms couldn't be bothered to BF so they'd hire wet nurses to feed their kids. Or in certain cultures when certain women would care for all the kids they'd BF all of em.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Ditto the Free and Clear and dryer balls.  My sister just had a 7 week old and that's what she's been using.

I like freezing the mix for stuffed peppers, it's lower calorie when you use ground turkey, super tasty, filling and different.

Your friend, if interested, can also contact local hospitals to see if anyone donated breast milk, especially the early, golden milk.  My sister in law donated her extra milk to two different parents:  an adoptee and a mom who just had her breasts removed because of cancer.  The hopsitals test the milk first of course:).

PS.  You sound like a great friend!
  • My sister made some good freezer meals for us when our baby was born that were relatively healthy, things like marinated chicken with veggies that we could just throw in the crockpot (teriyaki, healthy buffalo chicken, lemon pepper) so all I had to do was unfreeze a ziploc bag, dump it in the crock pot mid afternoon. She also bought us those microwave packs of rice that you just cut the top and stick in the microwave a few mins. They were great because it was no work but not too unhealthy. 

For baby stuff, a few zip up sleepers, diapers/wipes, and a swaddling blanket (we loved the SwaddleMe velcro swaddles and they're pretty cheap) are really all you need to get through the first few days. All the more pricy gear (bouncers, swings, etc.) are things you can wait a few days/weeks for. 
  • Also, Aden and Anais blankets (the real and not the Target version) are fantastic.

Baby carriers are great but the traditional Baby Bjorn kind of sucks. I love our Ergo and may get a Tula. They're over $100 each but SO worth it.

• lyndausvi said:
    I'm a big fan of giving the new couple a GC to a grocery store who delivers.   It's always been a hit.  It seems like a lot of people get food, but it's all that other shit (i.e milk, butter, etc) that becomes the hassle to get the first few weeks.

Personally specking I make a crockpot full of homemade mini-meatballs and sauce.  Then I pack them individually and freeze them.    I also do the same with pulled pork.  I use a food saver, but you can use freezer ziplock too.

You have mentioned your meatball and sauce thing before.  I'm kinda thinking you might want to share your recipe...
  • lyndausvi said:
    I'm a big fan of giving the new couple a GC to a grocery store who delivers.   It's always been a hit.  It seems like a lot of people get food, but it's all that other shit (i.e milk, butter, etc) that becomes the hassle to get the first few weeks.

You have mentioned your meatball and sauce thing before.  I'm kinda thinking you might want to share your recipe...

• On a side note, did you know you can train your body to breastfeed even if you haven't been pregnant?  She was telling me about an adoptive mom that did that.  I asked her if she was going to attempt that and she said "hell no". LOL  

It's called a wet nurse. Used to be very common in old times when rich ppl had nannies or nurses for their babies and the moms couldn't be bothered to BF so they'd hire wet nurses to feed their kids. Or in certain cultures when certain women would care for all the kids they'd BF all of em.
    No it wasn't a wet nurse... it was basically a woman who wasn't producing milk at all being able to do horomonal things to get herself to produce milk.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    banana468 said:
    Also, Aden and Anais blankets (the real and not the Target version) are fantastic. Baby carriers are great but the traditional Baby Bjorn kind of sucks. I love our Ergo and may get a Tula. They're over $100 each but SO worth it.
    Oddly, I knew that about the Ergo (knew friends loved theirs).  Zulily had them on sale a few weeks back and I sent her the link to them.  

I guess her sister is going to throw a shower for her so I'll wait to see what she ends up getting from that.  They also do pretty well for themselves and tend to buy whatever they need so she's a bit hard to buy for, especially when I ask her what they need and she says "Nothing, we'll take care of anything we need".  Grr!  I already bought him a few outfits and I'm going to sneak in that bottle washer thing before they get home.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Wegl13Wegl13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I will also throw in this: I really love Amy's Kitchen frozen meals and lived on them throughout college. They are vegetarian/vegan, healthy, filling, pretty decent tasting (especially the pastas), and really easy to fix (three to five minutes in the microwave). They are single serve meals but would be great for lunches/dinners when only one parent is at home.
  • I'd also consider offering to throw them a shower/welcome home baby party if that's your kind of thing!

Freezer burritos are my favorite. Thekitchn.com has a good recipe
  • I would just plan to do the diet coke and a meal or two. She may have already had people do this (or done it herself) so there might not be a ton of space left. Ditto banana on the grab and go snacks. My sister delivered a few months ago and said bars, trail mix, and pieces of whole fruit were lifesavers. From a gift perspective, I have to say (and this is just for our situation - I'm due in two months) we do not need clothes. Like zero, none. People have already given us so much stuff that this kid will barely be able to wear the same thing twice. And I haven't even had my shower. I know it's fun/cute to buy baby clothes, but what we really want/need is functional stuff - like bottles, burp cloths, a feeding pillow, a diaper pail, diapers, wipes... You know, stuff we're going to use every day. I have a feeling our kid is going to live in onesies and PJs - not the seersucker sailor outfit our friend gave us. KWIM?
    Oh I totally get it about the clothes!  I just bought 2 mix and match type outfits (both include onesies and nothing too "precious") in 0-3mo because I knew she hasn't bought anything other than some very basic stuff, and he's barely into newborn sizes right now (he's a bit small).  They don't have a date for the shower yet either so I thought a few things might help tide them over once he grows some.  Plus, yeah, it's completely fun to buy those cute little adorable clothes :-D  I asked her if she needed me to pick up diapers, wipes, etc to have ready at her house when they get home but she said no need.  

Last shower I went to for another friend, I bought a nursing cover.  I figured the grandmas and aunts would have the clothes covered :)
    Married 9.12.15
  • I don't do it myself, but my SIL will make stuff, throw it in separate Ziploc Freezer bags, labelled.  Basically, she pulls it out, throws the contents of a bag in the crock pot and it's ready.  I'd do something like that, though I have no recipes to help you with.  I'm sure it's easy to find though

This is what I would suggest. As long as they have a crock pot! Makes it so easy. If you do this, I'd also include those tinfoil crockpot liners for easy clean up.
  • kmmssg said:
    lyndausvi said:

I don't really have a recipe though. It's mostly by sight. :(

I take 3lbs of ground beef.  
    Throw in 2-3 eggs
    salt, pepper and some italian seasoning.
    italian bread crumbs
    parmesan cheese from the green can.

mix it all together.   Make up mini-meatballs and put on a plate.

In the crock pot I put down a "layer" of tomato sauce from a 16oz can. Use a little bit of water to clean out the can and put that in also.

Add in a layer of raw meatballs

add in a layer of stewed tomatoes.  I normally use the basil, oregano, garlic flavor, but use whatever you want.  I also blend the tomatoes because DH hates chunky sauce.  If it was just for me I wouldn't do that.

Add in a another layer of meatballs.

This part varies for me.  Sometimes I just throw in more canned tomato sauce.  Other times I will add a jar sauce. Not Prego or ragu, one of the higher end ones.   It really depends on what I have available.

Add in a small can of tomato paste.  

Add in the rest of the meatballs. 

I also put in salt, pepper, basil, oregano.    I like a little bit of garlic, so the amount from the stewed tomatoes is good for me.  Sometimes I add more if I need to get rid of some garlic.  Of course, add what you want.  Both DH and I hate onions.

Cook on high for a few hours, then drop it down to low. Stirring occasionally. If I'm going to be out of the house all day, then I do low the whole time.

I like the mini-meatballs because they fit in rolls better for sandwiches (DH's favorite way to eat them).   IDK, they seem to stretch farther than larger meatballs.   The first day I have pasta, the next day a sandwich.  

Then vacuum seal the sauce and meatballs in individual packets (after it's cold. I normally keep it in the fridge overnight). 

I put 5-6 meatballs and sauce in each bag and freeze. Normally have enough sauce for at least one bag with no meatballs.  I often get 7-8 bags worth. When I need them, I grab 1-2 bags, throw them in boiling water, 10-15 minutes later I have sauce and meatballs for either pasta or sandwiches.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    edited July 2015
    Re: clothes, I'm not a parent so take this with a grain of salt, but I've had a few moms tell me that they got TONS of clothes at their shower that were all in newborn size (or 0-3 months) but their baby outgrew them super fast and then they didn't have much. 

Ever since I heard that, I've gotten in the habit of buying 9 or 12 month-size clothes (for whatever season will be happening when the baby is 9 months old) as gifts for new moms. 
  • Re: clothes, I'm not a parent so take this with a grain of salt, but I've had a few moms tell me that they got TONS of clothes at their shower that were all in newborn size (or 0-3 months) but their baby outgrew them super fast and then they didn't have much. 

Ever since I heard that, I've gotten in the habit of buying 9 or 12 month-size clothes (for whatever season will be happening when the baby is 9 months old) as gifts for new moms. 
    Yup that's what I usually do!  I plan on buying more of the bigger sizes later.

I'm also trying really hard not to buy baby shoes.  I know they're totally useless but they're SO FRIGGEN CUTE.
    Married 9.12.15
  • I'd definitely agree that buying non-newborn sizes is important; but babies grow so differently that buying too far ahead may not always work. 0-3 month and 3-6 month are probably ok. My son is 3 months old and 0-3 month clothes still fit him and some are even big; whereas there are other women on my Bump message board that have babies the same age that are already wearing 9 month clothes. By the time you figure it out if you can't use them, you can't really return them because the stores don't carry them so you get barely anything for exchanging them if you don't have a receipt. 

And I'd say on clothes, things like sleepers are way more practical than fancy outfits! Especially if your friends didnt know they were getting a baby and don't have much in the way of clothes, having some sleepers will be helpful. 
  • Ditto that newborn sizes are silly.   Especially for a summer baby - s/he will probably live in onesies and swaddle blankets.

And now that DS is approaching the 12 mo mark (how the eff did that happen?!) we are starting to need to buy clothing.   Before that, we had a TON.
  • julieanne912julieanne912 member
    edited July 2015
    @banana468 just wanted to say thank you for the suggestion of the dishwasher basket.  She was really excited about it and said she never would have even thought to get one.  They made it home Saturday night late.

I also included baby clothes hangers and a bottle washing brush, since I figured you could never have too many of those.  I stocked the freezer the morning before they came home with one of those frozen skillet meals, a pizza, gelato, and then left sandwich fixings, crudite and hummus and some fresh no prep fruit (grapes and bananas).  I'll be doing the frozen meal cooking at a later date.  

I get to go meet the little guy tonight!!
    Married 9.12.15
  • @banana468 just wanted to say thank you for the suggestion of the dishwasher basket.  She was really excited about it and said she never would have even thought to get one.  They made it home Saturday night late.

I also included baby clothes hangers and a bottle washing brush, since I figured you could never have too many of those.  I stocked the freezer the morning before they came home with one of those frozen skillet meals, a pizza, gelato, and then left sandwich fixings, crudite and hummus and some fresh no prep fruit (grapes and bananas).  I'll be doing the frozen meal cooking at a later date.  

I get to go meet the little guy tonight!!
    Aww thanks for the shout out! You are a thoughtful friend.
  • I actually just did this last night as well. Our friends had a baby a week ago so last night we took over some food to feed them and their Moms who are in town helping. I love the vacuum seal bags because of the easy reheat. I put the sauces (depending on the amount) either in small mason jars or in those little round 2-oz reusable plastic containers that come 10 per pack at the Dollar Tree. I like those because later they can be used to carry cherrios/goldfish etc...

Also one thing you can do is set up a meal registry for them for the next few weeks. This one was through MealBaby. You send people the link and they sign up for a day to bring either a home cooked meal or takeout. There is a place to list food allergies or preferences. Gift certificates to dining delivery services if you have them in your area are another great suggestion for people signing up to give. We have one that publishes a seasonal "catalog" of restaurant menus and you either call or order online from the restaurants available in your zip code. The service picks up the food from the restaurant and delivers it to your door.

Here is what I took last night. Aside from the dessert (which I chose because FFIL mentioned last week that he loves peach melba and local peaches are in season so I made some for him) most of it is pretty healthy. I used one of those spiralizers to make the zucchini noodles.

HTH!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards