Attire & Accessories Forum

Father of the Bride/Groom/Stepfathers Attire

I need advise on what the fathers should wear. I was initially going to have my dad wear the same tux as my fiance & the groomsmen (dark charcoal); his dad, step-dad, and my step-dad wear a black tux. However, my fiance thinks its strange for my dad to wear the same tux color as he and the groomsmen, and not the other dads- it was a suggestion by the menswear sales person. Should all the dads match either all in black or all in dark charcoal, or is having my dad differentiated fine?
Thanks!

Re: Father of the Bride/Groom/Stepfathers Attire

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    rmc2be said:
    I need advise on what the fathers should wear. I was initially going to have my dad wear the same tux as my fiance & the groomsmen (dark charcoal); his dad, step-dad, and my step-dad wear a black tux. However, my fiance thinks its strange for my dad to wear the same tux color as he and the groomsmen, and not the other dads- it was a suggestion by the menswear sales person. Should all the dads match either all in black or all in dark charcoal, or is having my dad differentiated fine?
    Thanks!
    They can wear whatever they want because they are not part of the wedding party.  You and your FI have zero input.  
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    First of all, tuxedos are black.  The only thing strange is charcoal grey tuxedos.
    Secondly, the fathers do not need to match the wedding party at all.  They can wear tuxedos if they want to, or they can wear dark suits. 
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Let them wear whatever they want. Our salesperson at Men's Wearhouse tried to get us to select what the dad's would wear so they would match each other. I said absolutely not, I wanted the dads to pick what they wanted to wear and felt best in. They both ended up picking a black tux and selected different colored ties/vests/etc. This isn't something you or your FI should spend time worrying about.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I don't think the father of the bride or the father of the groom ought to be in tuxes at all (unless it's a very formal, evening black-tie wedding). I say this because they aren't actually members of the wedding party--the bride, groom, bridesmaids and groomsmen. As long as the fathers are in suits and ties (or blazers if it's more casual), that seems quite appropriate.
  • Unless the fathers are in the wedding party, they should wear whatever they want to wear.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards