Wedding Woes
Options

friday!

It's little with one exclamation point because I've not had any coffee yet.  I'm willing DH to wake up and make some because I'm trying to get all.the.work done sooner than later so I can shower and help get the car packed. 

4 hours and we should be on the road.  EEEEKKK!  So excited. 

What are you non-vacation having suckers doing this weekend?  ;) 

Re: friday!

• Options
    Have a great vacay!  I have my class reunion this weekend.  35 years - holy crap, how did I get so old???  Otherwise, not much else going on.  I need to get my house cleaned and organized because I go back to work full days on Monday.  I will miss my afternoon naps!
  • Options
    Last night was just a ton of WTF.

First, we were driving home and DD said that Neighbor Kid across the street kicked DS over the last time he was at our house, and later told her to go downstairs and hit DS in the face when I wasn't looking.  Whaaaaaa?  So I was all kinds of concerned.  We were talking, and DD brought up other, smaller stuff:  he threw ball pit balls at her, he told DS to go away, etc.  I have never seen any of this (obviously), and while I'm not always in the playroom when they are, I'm generally keeping an ear out while I make dinner, play with DS, etc. 

So DD and I talked about it, and I said that I didn't think she should play with NK anymore.  And in the course of asking (again) if anything else happened, she said "Well, he didn't necessarily [her word] kick DS, but he did shove him and knock him over."  She repeated some stuff, she added that he closed her in her closet once.  I thought it was weird that kicking was now shoving, because this kid is pretty precise with her wording.  But I was just kind of rattled by the whole thing. 

DH got home, and he was not pleased.  And yet when I got to the part about NK telling her to hit DS in the face, DH got a weird look on his face.  Apparently in the car one day, she told him that I threatened to hit her in the face.  This was weeks ago, and he thought it was weird but he didn't believe it and didn't want to make a huge thing about it, and then he kind of forgot about it.  (FTR, I definitely have never threatened to hit her, in the face or anywhere else.  The worst I've done is threatening to leave without her if she doesn't put her shoes on NOW.) 

I know that kids lie, and it's normal.  But more like "I don't know who ate all the cookies, and I don't know who spilled the milk."  This seems sort of...malicious.  And the weird complication is, she may well be telling the truth about NK.  Or not.  Parts of her story changed, parts didn't, and the thing about the hitting complicates everything because we know she didn't tell DH the truth.  And I don't know if she's just trying it out to see what happens, or if she's not getting enough attention and feels like she has to make up crazy shit, or what.
  • Options
    HeffalumpHeffalump member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I spent so much time on that ^^^ that I realize I had a "first" and forgot the "second."  After the kids were in bed and DH and I were talking though all this above, my mom texted my brother and me.  Remember the 100th birthday party that for some reason we need to start planning over a year in advance?  My aunt told my mom it's going to come in at "about $1000 per family."  Last we heard, this was supposed to be a brunch for the family, so my brother texted "WOW" and I asked her to define family:  $1000 from my aunt's side and $1000 from my mom's side, or like $1000 from each of her daughters and their kids.  The latter.  So basically, this party was going to cost $8000.

Hell no.  I love my grandmother.  I really do.  But WTF at an $8000 birthday party.  Are they drunk?  I asked how many people, and my mom said tons, and started listing them--normal ones, like my grandma's nieces and nephews and their kids, but then they also want to invite my uncle (by marriage)'s half brothers and their wives and kids, who are not that close to my grandma at all.  And suddenly we have this Godfather wedding instead of brunch with the family.

We're countering with $500 ea, which I still think is high but not as insane as $1000. 

ETF:  words
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

Eeek Heffa that's hard.

DH is bitching about all the prep for the vacation and all "this shit we have to pack."  His prep has been giving me a credit card to book the cabin and buying champagne (and another can of Pringles). All the "shit" is 3 grocery bags, 2 cases of bottled water, 3 suitcases, 3 sleeping bags, 3 backpacks, 1 car bag, 1 cooler, 1 stroller.  For a family of 5. 

He asked me yesterday what I wanted for my birthday.  The one in 9 days.  I said maybe we'd find a ring or something on vacation.  Who am I kidding though?  I'm not going to be in any sort of jewelry store.  Thanks for all the thought DH.

I'm trying to focus on my mom coming today to take us to lunch and then HOPEFULLY swimming.  Please may the storms stay away until 3. 

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2015
    $8k for a bday party?!  Maybe you could ask Barbie's BIL for a loan?  ;)

On the lying stuff...I wouldn't be too worried. I mean, I'd be getting to the bottom of whether or not NK put his hands/feet on DS...but it sounds like she doesn't want to be his friend anymore so she's making up shit because she feels bad about not wanting to be his friend, YKIM?  (I'm totally armchair psych here, but I've had similar situations with the kiddo in the past.  Also, the kiddo one time told my friend's son that he had a brother that died (this was way before DefConn and obvs. not true). That was...an awkward conversation.  Kids lie in weird ways about weird stuff.) 
  • Options
    Yay for vacations and reunions!

I agree with conn on the weird stories kids make up, heffa.  I can't think of anything specific Son said, but we have had the "that never happened" talk a few times over the years.  Definitely see if you can get to the bottom of it, but try not to worry too much.

I'm prepping for DD2's bday party this weekend.  That's about it, but it's enough.
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member

There's a woman on a local mom board complaining about an asphalt plant smelling bad and all the dirt on outdoor furniture and the stuff you see in the air.  She's trying to organize everyone to complain. 

Everything I hear sounds like the whackadoos we used to get calling the mill.  "You stink! I'm suing!"  "Ma'am we aren't even running."  I'm biting my tongue from telling her the people at OEPA and the plant are probably rolling their eyes and laughing.  At least that's what we used to do.

• Options
    What the what at $8K?  What in the world are they doing?  Does Grandma even want a big to-do 100 year old party?

I am SO GLAD IT'S FRIDAY.  I cornered 2 of my bosses yesterday and said, "I e-mailed you 2 weeks ago that I needed more work.  None of you responded or gave me more work.  I NEED MORE WORK!!!"  Boss #1 immediately gave me something (and apparently there's an issue with delegation with mid-level associates).  Boss #2 hasn't yet.  Boss #3 I'll hit up on Monday.  *sigh*

I think I'm doing a big lotta nothing this weekend except for a pedicure to go with my new haircut.  And we're getting a roommate at some point.  I'm helping out a young friend.  She's astoundingly smart, so we actually sat down and hammered out, "This is what happens when living in Varuna's guest room" and a timeline.  I'm hesitant, but she needs help and I can provide it.  
  • Options
    6fsn said:

Eeek Heffa that's hard.

DH is bitching about all the prep for the vacation and all "this shit we have to pack."  His prep has been giving me a credit card to book the cabin and buying champagne (and another can of Pringles). All the "shit" is 3 grocery bags, 2 cases of bottled water, 3 suitcases, 3 sleeping bags, 3 backpacks, 1 car bag, 1 cooler, 1 stroller.  For a family of 5. 

He asked me yesterday what I wanted for my birthday.  The one in 9 days.  I said maybe we'd find a ring or something on vacation.  Who am I kidding though?  I'm not going to be in any sort of jewelry store.  Thanks for all the thought DH.

I'm trying to focus on my mom coming today to take us to lunch and then HOPEFULLY swimming.  Please may the storms stay away until 3. 

Ugh, that's not cool, 6.  I'm sorry.  Did anything ever materialize with dinner/a party?  I hate the idea of that Five Love Languages book, but I know enough about it to know that DH is Acts of Service but is crap with gifts.  Whenever you post about Mr.6 and your birthday, I think of that.

Y'all are making me feel better about DD.  I was just kind of shocked, because I get making up a story to get out of trouble, but the fact that there wasn't a clear motive here was troubling.  I've been thinking about it a lot, and when she said that to DH, she was in the middle of her first week of camp at daycare (vs. the Y, horseback riding, etc).  There are three groups there, it goes all the way up to 5th grade, and they have a lot of kids.  So maybe she heard some kid say it and thought it was hilarious, or scary, or it stuck in her mind for some reason, and she decided to try it out herself.  She's back at that camp this week, coincidentally or not. 

We're just going to have to sit down and have a big ol' talk again tonight, and I am going to have to give her some kind of an out ("If you don't want to play with NK, you don't have to, no matter what the reason"--and thanks for that idea, mrs.conn, I never even considered that).  And talk about honesty without calling her liar if she is telling the truth, and without making her defensive.  And then watch NK like a hawk, and pull the plug if I see anything that tingles my spider sense.  Sounds like fun!

Thank goodness she has a playdate with her KG BFF tomorrow.  That's a much easier scenario.

• Options
    6fsn said:

You're supposed to do that with 3 kids in tow? It's tough enough with one! :-( I hope he at least planned the date night that you asked for. Is this 40? 
  • Options
    I'm supposed to be doing all of the phone calls at work today, but the server is down for our entire system, so I can't access any patient information to make calls. It's been almost five hours and I'm only here for a ten hour shift (supposedly). 

I have all of my charting left from yesterday to do as well because I got so upset about spilling an entire bottle of pumped milk that I just said 'fuck it' and left when my shift was over and I'd done all of my meaningful use work instead of staying after-hours to chart. I mean, I straight-up ugly cried and called my sister and she felt so bad that she brought me Xanax and a chai tea from Starbucks, then she told my mom and my parents came over and cooked dinner for us because my mom knew how bad my day had been leading up to that and then that happened and damn.

I'd really appreciate it if they'd get the servers back up some time soon so I'm not here after-hours for the thousandth time since I got back from maternity leave. It would be nice to get home to the wee baby man at a more socially acceptable hour. Also there's pomegranate chicken at home that I want in my damn mouth.

So... I'm sitting at the triage desk planning our next three vacations: Atlanta/Chattanooga later this month (showing Soren the glory of aquariums), California in October (introducing Soren to my family), Sweden in December (sans baby by request of my parents, who want to keep him for the week).

• Options
    loufusloufus member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Combo Breaker

I have all of my charting left from yesterday to do as well because I got so upset about spilling an entire bottle of pumped milk that I just said 'fuck it' and left when my shift was over and I'd done all of my meaningful use work instead of staying after-hours to chart. I mean, I straight-up ugly cried and called my sister and she felt so bad that she brought me Xanax and a chai tea from Starbucks, then she told my mom and my parents came over and cooked dinner for us because my mom knew how bad my day had been leading up to that and then that happened and damn.

As a working mom who pumped for two babies, spilling pumped milk is absolutely terrible and your reaction was 100% justified!

• Options
    6fsn6fsn member

I'd say every mom cries over spilled milk. It sucks but certainly happens to us all.

DH's "love language" is definitely more toward service, but he usually does really well with presents too.  I think he's just stressed with other things so I'm trying to cut him slack  because I'm being a bit of a baby too.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards