Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Honorary bridesmaids????

Help! I have two cousins that I am very close with but I am not asking them to be bridesmaids. We want to keep the bridal party at a certain number. I am asking my 2 cousins who are sisters of the one that I am not asking. I want my other two cousins to be involved in everything I don't want them to feel left out. I have been trying to find a little gift to give them when I ask my two other cousins but I haven't found anything yet. Any suggestions on what to do????

Re: Honorary bridesmaids????

• Options
    Readers, singers, ushers, and bridesmaids are the only roles for them. Honorary bridesmaids is not a thing. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Don't ask them to be honorary BMs, they are either a BM or they are not.  Don't mention to them that they are not BM, just ask who you want as BMs and don't mention it to the others.  If they asked about being BMs, which they shouldn't - that's rude on their part, just say that you have chosen Jane and Sally to be BMs and give no further explanations.
  • Options
    Ditto PPs.   The only way someone can be an honorary bridesmaid is if she agreed to be a BM and then can't attend due to extenuating circumstances like serving her country or having a child.   It's not cool to ask someone to be a "runner up bridesmaid" because it well - stings.

As @AddieCake said, you have other options where they could be readers, singers, ushers or bridesmaids. 
  • Options
    Gross. You want them to be involved and included in everything, except your numbers are more important. What makes you think you're so important to them when they aren't to you?
  • Options
    frenchiekinfrenchiekin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited July 2015
    Ditto PPs, but also, try not to get super hung-up on a certain number of bridesmaids.  If you really want these cousins to be BMs and would under other circumstances but you're not asking them because you want to keep it to a certain number, it seems silly to me.  You should ask those closest to you to be bridesmaids, whatever that number might be, and either choose to honor the others by asking them to do a reading at the ceremony or let them enjoy themselves as guests.

ETA missing words

• Options
    Guest is also an honor. 
  • Options

"Honorary bridesmaid" = slap in the face because I want to "include" you without actually making you a bridesmaid.

You either ask them to be bridesmaids or ask them to be ushers, singers, or readers.  But there are no other "roles" for them in the ceremony besides "guest."

Believe it or not, the role of "guest" is a true honor.

• Options
    SP29SP29 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    You could ask them to do a reading.

You can always invite them to get ready with you (nails, make up, hair) and hang out before the ceremony.

You could get them a corsage.

Being a guest is also just fine.

Please do not give them a "special" title, because all it looks like is a consolation prize. You either ask them to be bridesmaids, or you don't. And that's ok.

I'm not sure why in specific you are looking for a gift for these cousins... but you can always give someone a gift.

• Options
    AddieCake said:

Readers, singers, ushers, and bridesmaids are the only roles for them. Honorary bridesmaids is not a thing. 

This. Trying to give them some B-list title is basically saying "well, we wanted a certain number and you weren't in the top 4 so....."

This wouldnt make me feel special at all. Quite the contrary, I'd feel second rate.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    wmam35wmam35 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Answer
    I had a similar situation where I had two of my cousins who I was very close to be bridesmaids, but I didn't ask my other cousin, who was a sister of one of the cousins I asked to be a bridesmaid.  I didn't do anything for the "left out" cousin though, and everything worked out fine.  I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    Telling someone they are an "honorary bridesmaid" tells them they weren't good enough to make the cut.  What a slap in the face.  It also sends the message that your bridesmaids are just props for pictures, since the even amount matters more to you than having them stand by your side.

Also, the only "duties" of bridesmaids are to show up the day of the wedding, sober, in the right dress, and in good spirits.  That is it.  

If you want to honor them, have them do a reading, or ask them to be bridesmaids.  

• Options
    PPs have covered everything, I just wanted to add that you may end up hurting their feelings if you give them a gift as a consolation for not being a bridesmaid.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary 
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    There is no rule that if you choose one cousin, you must also choose her sister.  Just choose who you want, and be sure and invite other cousins as guests.  It is an honor to be a guest at a wedding.  Please, no consolation prize gifts or made-up titles.  That is insulting.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    @STARMOON44 never said they aren't important to me. They are important to me that's why I want them included in everything. We want to keep the bridal party at a certain number because that's what we can afford. Why is there always one person on here that has to be nasty? I asked a question simply looking for advice, I appreciate those who gave it.
  • Options
    @STARMOON44 never said they aren't important to me. They are important to me that's why I want them included in everything. We want to keep the bridal party at a certain number because that's what we can afford. Why is there always one person on here that has to be nasty? I asked a question simply looking for advice, I appreciate those who gave it.

She was working off the information you gave us.  If you had said the bolded in your first post, it would have made sense and we wouldn't have gotten the wrong impression.

Good on you for keeping an eye on the budget for your BMs.  I agree with everyone who said that being a guest is an honour in itself, but a reader is also a good option.  I also agree that you could ask them to get ready with you the morning of.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    Like others said, calling them "honorary bridesmaids" just points out that they aren't selected to be actual bridesmaids. It's okay to not have them in the wedding party.  But, that doesn't mean that they can't join you at pre-wedding events. As long as they are invited to the wedding, you can still invite them to join in bachelorette party, showers, getting ready, and all other pre-wedding festivities, even if they aren't officially part of the wedding party.

• Options
    You say include them in everything?? What does that mean exactly? 

People who aren't in your bridal party can go to other wedding events (bachelorette party, bridal shower) if they are invited to the wedding. 

If you mean you want them involved in addressing invites, creating centerpieces and helping set up and tear down, that's not an "honorary bridesmaid", that's unhired help and it's very rude. 
  • Options

Without speaking for @STARMOON44, let me ask this:

Why do you want to "include them in everything" without making them bridesmaids?

If they're really important to you, why don't you want to ask them to be bridesmaids?  You don't need even sides or "certain numbers" in your wedding party to have a valid wedding.  Giving them gifts and "including them in everything" while making clear that they're not bridesmaids won't make anyone feel appreciated or valued as a friend or feel that they're "important" to you.

This is not to say that you have to make them bridesmaids in order to include them in anything or make them feel appreciated or valued or "important" to you.  But you don't need to give them gifts to do it, which are more likely to make them feel worse than however they already feel about not being your bridesmaids.

So forget about the gifts and just treat these important people as honored guests.  You can invite them to parties, get ready with them, and do everything you would do with your bridesmaids without giving them gifts or calling them "honorary" anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards