Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

not buying off the registry

2»

Re: not buying off the registry

• Options
    No gift is "awful." Even the weirdest gift in the world is a gift, which is anything that says "I was thinking of you and made an effort."
    FMIL got me 20 mini hand sanitizers for Christmas so some gifts come close to awful haha. (I seriously asked FI- does your mom think I'm dirty or something?) I think your gift is practical and thoughtful. If anyone complains about that I agree with @ohannbelle, they're assholes.
  • Options
    Some gifts are thoughtful but you still wonder, "What were you thinking? " My MIL got us the makings of a BRAT diet as one of our Christmas gifts. So she thought of ways to curb a bout of explosive diarrhea that could hit the house. And we have the pleasure of thinking of her if/when that bout of explosive diarrhea hits.
  • Options
    My aunt did the cookie baking basket for me and I LOVED it. She included new cutouts as well as old ones that were my Grandmother's who have passed away. It was really special and nothing I could have ever registered for.

I have to say though I really hate being invited to a shower where there is really only a handful of gifts. I think it's different with the wedding, however if the point of a pre-wedding party to shower a bride with gifts is to actually, you know buy gifts, I get an icky feeling when there really aren't many to choose from. But maybe I've just been invited to too many "cash showers" or received too many invitations that say "cash graciously accepted".
  • Options
    dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    The "shower" was not a fundraiser per se.  The couple is a member of a charitable organization / civic group DH & I support.  The membership which is largely male wanted to throw them a shower even though none of us are invited to the wedding.  The couple decided to keep their wedding really small; about 20 people -- family only -- on a dinner cruise.  They knew nothing about the event, which was yesterday.  Please don't fault them because people like DH & I who know we aren't invited to the wedding wanted to do something nice. 

When I posted this I was just irked that her registry was so small but it does kind of reflect the size of her wedding. 

I did include the receipt so if she hates it, she can take it back. 
  • Options
    Just wanted to defend the couple in OPs post a little. It's possible that they have had issues with their registry and preemptively removed items they have already received (making the remaining registry appear small.) My Kohl's registry has glitched twice already and I'm probably removing those items as soon as I apply for the "completion gifts with purchase through the manufacturer" rebates.

It's also possible that their shower guests were a lot more generous than they thought, and all the gifts were snapped up much faster than anticipated. It's silly to add items you don't need just so there are more things to buy.

OP, your idea is lovely and I echo other posters that a gift receipt would be appreciated in case of a duplicate gift. 
  • Options
    dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I saw the couple yesterday.  They were very happy with the gift & shockingly this was the only Corningware they got. 

So I guess I worried for nothing. 
  • Options

If they're having a shower there should be plenty of items on the registry. That's their job. I'd include the gift receipt if you have it. If not, oh well....

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards