Wedding Invitations & Paper
Options

Envelope Addressing Software

Other then the obvious like Microsoft Word etc, I was wondering what has worked to print addresses on envelopes. of course anything that i can download for free would be great but I am not against paying for a program that would be worth it! This is for a party so I am looking for fun and spunky!! Not the typical Arial Font!!

Re: Envelope Addressing Software

• Options
    Why not just use Word but choose a font other than Arial? I have hundreds of fonts I've acquired over the years.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Agreed w/ AddieCake, you can even go on sites like dafont.com and download and install your own fonts.  That's what we did for my invitations.  The only hard part about that was I had to make sure anybody doing the printing (FI and FedEx Office) downloaded the font on their computer too.

Married 9.12.15
  • Options

its not just the font, its the layout too, i'd like to be able to play around and do different layouts like

Mr. and Mrs.          123 Main Street

John Doe                Nowhere, Iowa

or also just not have my next print in straight lines but curved lines, etc more fun!!

• Options
    justsie said:
    shanliann said:

its not just the font, its the layout too, i'd like to be able to play around and do different layouts like

or also just not have my next print in straight lines but curved lines, etc more fun!!

Knotties correct me if I'm wrong but the layout of an address on an envelope isn't something you can change. It is what is required of the postal service. If you change the layout your mail might not get to the correct place or may arrive slower because a postal worker has to look harder for the information. 
    Don't fuck with the US Postal Service.  They can make your life a living hell.  Just address the letters properly, in straight lines.  Get creative with your invitation design, not the address.
  • Options
    justsie said:
    shanliann said:

Knotties correct me if I'm wrong but the layout of an address on an envelope isn't something you can change. It is what is required of the postal service. If you change the layout your mail might not get to the correct place or may arrive slower because a postal worker has to look harder for the information. 
    Yup. The layout she has would not make it to the recipient. 

You can use whatever font you want, so long as it's legible. But USPS uses machines to sort mail. Using weird formatting like above will prevent the machine from reading it.
  • Options
    You can still make it pretty with interesting fonts and spacing, but do not alter the format. USPS doesn't play around. If they don't like your formatting, your invitations won't make it to your guests, and they might not even make it back to you in any kind of timely manner. (Or at all if you've also screwed up your return address formatting.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If I got a wedding invitation with my address cutesied up and formatted unconventionally, I would roll my eyes and wonder if the person getting married was a teenage girl. And I would wholly expect to find the i's on the invitation dotted with little hearts when I opened it. Additionally, you are inviting trouble by doing that b/c you are risking them not being properly delivered. 

Just pick a nice, readable font and be done with it. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015

If you try to get too creative with your envelope layouts, the USPS won't deliver your invitations and your guests won't make it to your wedding.

And if your fonts or spacing are so creative that the USPS personnel can't read them, again, they won't deliver your invitations.

Don't run that risk.  You don't have to use the Arial font, but the envelope is not the place for "creativity," "fun," or "spunk."  That goes for anything that's meant to convey basic logistical information.

• Options

For starters, as I mentioned this is for a party, not a wedding.

Secondly, I have always, all my life sent every card, invite etc addressed this way, including for my own wedding, as did my mother. We have a family friend who does all this by hand for us, but this lady is getting older and having alot of problems with her eye sight, so I'm trying to find another option and thought it would just be alot easier if I could run them off my own printer. I've found others on etsy etc that could also do this by hand, it just seemed like a waste to have go through all that(mailing envelopes waiting to get them back,etc)

I've never had a card returned to me, or not delivered.....

Not to be rude but its pretty annoying that no one here actually answered my question or offered help in finding what i am acutally looking for but i got a bunch of posts with your personal options. I respect your opinions but don't beleive that was what i asked for. Thank you all for your time.

• Options
    I find it difficult to believe you and your mother have addressed every card and invitation inappropriately according to postal standards and have never had any of them not delivered.
  • Options
    shanliann said:

Secondly, I have always, all my life sent every card, invite etc addressed this way, including for my own wedding, as did my mother. We have a family friend who does all this by hand for us, but this lady is getting older and having alot of problems with her eye sight, so I'm trying to find another option and thought it would just be alot easier if I could run them off my own printer. I've found others on etsy etc that could also do this by hand, it just seemed like a waste to have go through all that(mailing envelopes waiting to get them back,etc)

Not to be rude but its pretty annoying that no one here actually answered my question or offered help in finding what i am acutally looking for but i got a bunch of posts with your personal options. I respect your opinions but don't beleive that was what i asked for. Thank you all for your time.

I'm so sure that's true.

It doesn't matter if it's for a party or a wedding. The USPS doesn't deliver unreadable addresses. 

• Options
    No one suggested other software because we use Word (or at least I do). If you're looking for substitutes for Word, try Open Office or Libre Office, or subscribe to MS Office for $7/month just to do your invitations. I don't know of any other software that does envelopes besides actual postage software like Endicia. Endicia absolutely does not allow creative formatting.

No one suggested anything that will help you incorrectly format addresses because all of the suggestions were aimed at helping you achieve pretty envelopes that will be delivered properly without risking the wrath of the USPS gods. If your incorrectly formatted mail has been consistently delivered in the past, you've been pretty lucky.

If you want to make your addresses pretty, use Word and make them pretty. These guys are fun and spunky and still correctly formatted.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    shanliann said:

As soon as someone says "I didn't ask for your opinions," you lose us.  It's arrogant and obnoxious, because by the very act of posting here, you did indeed ask for our opinions.  You are not allowed to control how people respond, and they are indeed entitled to offer their opinions and to disagree with you.

Second, it doesn't matter what you're mailing invitations for, the USPS is not going to deliver them if the envelopes don't comply with their regulations.  They do not allow for "creativity," "fun," or "spunk."

TL:DR: If you want to mail invitations and provide logistical information to people in the hopes they will even get the invitations, let alone attend, grow up, get over yourself, and follow the USPS's rules.

• Options
    shanliann said:

Hey guys, sorry to threadjack here, but I'm planning on robbing a bank next month.  What car do you think is the best getaway vehicle?  Should I go with something fast but showy and risk being seen?  Or should I go with a runofthemill midsize sedan that might not be fast, but will fade into the streets?  Please only answer my question or offer help in finding what I'm actually looking for.  Please don't post a bunch of personal options.  Only what I'm asking for.  Thank you all for your time.
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    shanliann said:

Hey guys, sorry to threadjack here, but I'm planning on robbing a bank next month.  What car do you think is the best getaway vehicle?  Should I go with something fast but showy and risk being seen?  Or should I go with a runofthemill midsize sedan that might not be fast, but will fade into the streets?  Please only answer my question or offer help in finding what I'm actually looking for.  Please don't post a bunch of personal options.  Only what I'm asking for.  Thank you all for your time.
    The bat-mobile.
  • Options
    adk19 said:
    shanliann said:

The bat-mobile.
    Or a Delorean. Time travel!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards