Wedding Etiquette Forum

Inviting a friend's "friend with benefits"?

Hi everyone! I read the post about who to invite to my wedding, but I have one question I would love some input on. I have a friend who has a somewhat complicated relationship with a guy. They were friends with benefits for about a year and a half, then boyfriend/girlfriend for about 8 months, but in May decided to go back to being friends with benefits and at this moment are still FWB. Does this guy need to be invited to my wedding? We are inviting any couples by name, but any truly single people (not romantically attached to another person) are not getting +1s. 

Also as a related/follow up question, we are sending STDs in the next week and invites will go out in mid-November. If any of our single guests become attached in that timeframe we need to invite their new partner when we send out invites, right? 

Thanks in advance!

Re: Inviting a friend's "friend with benefits"?

• AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    No, he does not need to be invited by name. Yes, you will need to include SOs if any of your friends become attached when it's time to send invitations.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • @mollybarker11 - As of now she says no if I ask if she's dating anyone. So I think I'm in the clear to not include him for STDs and will just check in again with all single guests before invites go out.
  • No need to include the FWB on the STD.  They are an informal piece of correspondence so it doesn't really matter how you address them.  Then as PP said above, ask her if she is dating anyone prior to sending out your invites.
  • Yes, you do need to invite new partners after save-the-dates go out, but if anyone isn't part of a couple at the time the invitations go out, you need not invite them with plus ones, including friends with benefits.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards