Attire & Accessories Forum

Fabric question

After going dress shopping [again], with my roommate, I found a dress that I love even more than the last dress I thought I loved (and it’s another ballgown, so at least I’m sure on silhouette now) , and it’s the Allure 9003. I looked on the Allure site to get more pictures of it so I could send them to my aunt who is making my dress to give her an idea of what I’m looking for, and it says that it’s satin-back taffeta. What in the world is this? I can’t figure it out with a Google search.

Re: Fabric question

• I could be wrong, but my thought would be that its taffeta lined w/ satin.  I have a taffeta dress and it looks similar to satin but is much lighter!
  • Taffeta definitely is lighter!
  • Simply put, one side is satin, the other taffeta..  The advantage of going with a fabric like this is tat you don't have to worry about color matching (yes, white isn't "white" and blue isn't "blue") compared to purchasing two separate fabrics.
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Simply put, one side is satin, the other taffeta..  The advantage of going with a fabric like this is tat you don't have to worry about color matching (yes, white isn't "white" and blue isn't "blue") compared to purchasing two separate fabrics.

So is it like two layers put together or what?
  • MesmrEwe said:
    Simply put, one side is satin, the other taffeta..  The advantage of going with a fabric like this is tat you don't have to worry about color matching (yes, white isn't "white" and blue isn't "blue") compared to purchasing two separate fabrics.

Have you asked you aunt about it?  If she is a makes dresses professionally, she may know exactly what it is.

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • MesmrEwe said:

Have you asked you aunt about it?  If she is a makes dresses professionally, she may know exactly what it is.

I've messaged her on Facebook, but I'm assuming she's not checking very often because she's currently on a cross country road trip and I haven't heard back from her.
  • It is a thicker form of Taffeta. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards