Chit Chat

Facebook friends you keep for entertainment

2»

Re: Facebook friends you keep for entertainment

• I officially NEED to be facebook friends with the lady from the news article that @lovemesomemonster just posted. Endless entertainment with that one, I'm sure 
    I did a quick FB check for you, can't find her.. sorry!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I officially NEED to be facebook friends with the lady from the news article that @lovemesomemonster just posted. Endless entertainment with that one, I'm sure 
    I did a quick FB check for you, can't find her.. sorry!
    I am devastated. 
  • I have him unfollowed so I haven't seen anything first hand, but my BFF was filling me in on one friend's FB antics.  He has apparently taken up the 2nd Amendment cause and posts all sorts of pro-gun memes and articles that are neither informative or accurate in their information.  He really hasn't filled himself in on the gun debate, whether for or against, nor is overall very knowledgeable about the current issues surrounding the gun debate.

Last Sunday, BFF and I were at the U2 show in NYC.  In the next section over from us, Gabby Giffords and her H, Mark Kelly, were sitting to see the show.  My friend posts on FB how she can't believe she is sitting so close to Gabby Giffords, and this friend says "Whose that?"  Ummmmm. . .

• Andddddd just like that one of my FB friends posts this meme and commentary (hopefully you can see the screen shot I attached)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I have a cousin who is a gun nut. I am sensitive to the fact that people have differing political opinions and sometimes post about them on FB. However, this is the ONLY thing he ever posts - pictures of different types of guns or articles about concealed weapons licenses or how Obama is going to personally take away all of his guns. He's actually a pretty normal guy, but you'd never know it from his FB feed... I sometimes wonder what secret watch lists he gets himself onto.

Also, for those who aren't familiar with the term "Vaguebooking": http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Vaguebook

Here are real status updates from the past few days from two of my FB "friends" who are the best vaguebookers:
    "Unavailable"
    "Apologies for being totally absent"
    "I need to recycle my life"
    "Poltergeist at the Apple Store"
  • My younger cousin was really amusing on Facebook, but she recently unfriended me. She had a kid at 19, broke up with her boyfriend and got back together multiple times, always posted about "drama" and finding out who her TRUE friends were. She also lost her first engagement ring and posted about getting another one. I loved seeing photos of her son, though. He's a cutie.

My sister is also great for FB drama and is a total tragedy whore. My uncle had some severe heart problems a year ago and he had to be airlifted to the hospital during a family get-together. She asked for prayers on Facebook before his own daughters were told about what was happening (they live out of state). She'll post about people dying without naming them. And she posts dramatic statuses about not being able to trust anyone, getting her hopes up, etc. with melodramatic song lyrics every few weeks. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a lot of "friends" on Facebook who I used to see weekly at horse shows. Now that I'm out of that whole world, I almost never see them in person, but watching their posts just leaves me scratching my head. It's mostly all super-conservative, borderline racist crap that just ticks me off. Sometimes it gets to be too much, and I unfriend them because I don't want to see it. For the most part I keep it on there as a reality check, as in "Oh my god, I can't believe people like this actually exist."
  • A few years ago I unfriended H's 15-year-old sister after she posted about 100 (literally) "sexy" pictures of herself and her friend in the shower wearing bathing suits. Since then, I hear it's gotten worse but FIL & SMIL do nothing about it. If anything, they encourage it. Part of me wants to see what she's posting just out of curiosity but the part that is so sickened by the behavior in the house is so much bigger. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • This thread inspired me to look around FB and I totally forgot about my friend who constantly talks about masturbating (like, "I'm gonna go masturbate later", etc.) and about her self-diagnoses. It's.. Really awkward.

• My cousin's now college age step-daughter drives me crazy. I think I posted about her once before, but she is a combination of a vaguebooker about how hard her life is, and an oversharer on medical issues.

The kicker for me was when she shared someone else's ultrasound "welcome to the world tiny baby (not mine)... A bunch of people commented and were freaking out that it was hers. She said she was so excited, but couldn't say who was having the baby because they weren't announcing it yet. I almost flipped out and posted that she should take it down.

In what world does it make sense to post another person's ultrasound when they aren't telling people yet?? Just because you don't tag them? Eventually she posted another one and tagged her sister. Still so so weird and wrong.
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    hellohkb said:
    This thread inspired me to look around FB and I totally forgot about my friend who constantly talks about masturbating (like, "I'm gonna go masturbate later", etc.) and about her self-diagnoses. It's.. Really awkward.
    lol a friend of a friend added me on facebook and I finally deleted her because she would post multiple times a day with really obnoxious humble-brags, or just straight-up brags (damn look at my ass, all that time in the gym has paid off, type stuff) and CONSTANT "sexy" selfies with her tits popping out of her shirt and duck faces. It was way too much. 

The thing I thought was funny, though, were her TMI posts about "flicking the bean." "Just got done flicking the bean. Feeling so relaxed now. Ladies, don't forget that it's important to pleasure yourself!" 

ETF another word fail. I am on a roll today
  • I have an old childhood friend, who is bipolar. Her statuses are not entertaining but bizarre. She lost custody of her child and is homeless. She has a government phone that she uses for her facebooking (she mentions this many times).  Apparently, she went off meds (she has done this multiple times in the past) and her family won't help her until she agrees to go back on them. Her posts always makes me so sad.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    There is one person I'm thinking of keeping solely for entertainment value because otherwise I'd have defriended him some time ago. He's a close friend of my parents but holds completely opposite political opinions from me, my family and most other people I know and he's always trying to start political fights on Facebook whenever someone posts something he opposes politically, and he has no hesitation doing so on other people's pages and in inappropriate situations.
  • On this topic of vaguebooking, what's your opinion on the kinda-specific but not-specific-enough posts?

"Prayers for my husband please!" Ok, well, I kind of got the vibe that your husband is really sick, but if you're going to post looking for prayers, what exactly are we praying for? How bad is it? Is it pneumonia or something far worse?  I feel like it should be all or nothing. (For the record, this chick did start mentioning more that her husband had a brain tumor. But the vagueness at first was odd.) 

"Just deleted 8 years of my life, it's so hard etc etc." I kind of got the impression that she went through a bad breakup, but again, if you're going to post some of it on Facebook, at least post more about why. "Just deleted my ex from 8 years of pictures my life. It's so hard." Oh, well, ok then, I'm sorry to hear about your breakup. 

If we're close enough to know in person, or not close enough to know in person, then tailor your posts accordingly! Halfway posts are just... weird to me.  

• I just recently deleted my 'entertainment' friend off FB because I couldn't handle it anymore. We went to highschool together, so he's my age: 29. Since highschool he has been married once and engaged 4 other times, none of which made it to the alter. Now I try really hard not to judge the seriousness of people's relationship based off the length of time they are together. FI and I said I love you after a month and a half and were seriously discussing marriage by 6 months, so I get it. I really do.

But all the engagements were after a month of dating the person. Every one. And then there would be this huge dramatic breakup with him posting about how 'you think you know someone' and how she 'took him for a ride' etc. And then 1 week later it would be posts about how lonely he was and how no one ever loves him etc. He posted EVERYTHING about it online, to the point where his closest friends were even commenting on his FB things along the lines of 'We are friends, and I get what you are going through, but I am going to have to unfriend you until you get your shit in order because I do not need to see all these posts, you need to go to counselling. Go.'

My final straw was when he posted 'woe is me' status's every 5 minutes for 4 hours. Had to unfriend him after that.
  • arrippa said:
    I have an old childhood friend, who is bipolar. Her statuses are not entertaining but bizarre. She lost custody of her child and is homeless. She has a government phone that she uses for her facebooking (she mentions this many times).  Apparently, she went off meds (she has done this multiple times in the past) and her family won't help her until she agrees to go back on them. Her posts always makes me so sad.
    I only vaguely knew a person like this who added me as a friend on Faceook after I met her once. She, too, is bipolar and her posts were VERY bizarre, she usually tagged upwards of twenty people in every single one, even if she wasn't actually talking about them, and she would post every five minutes for hours at a time. She started asking for money constantly, complaining because her parents were trying to keep her on her meds and "make her normal," etc. It was REALLY bad. Then she freaked out because apparently someone reported a suicidal message she posted and Facebook did that whole outreach thing (which is great.) But she was super insulted that someone reported it. She would also post images of her messages to previous employers and people she interned with where she accused them of wrongfully firing her or ignoring her applications for full-time employment because they were discriminating against her. I eventually hid her because it was upsetting, and I didn't feel like I knew her enough to give advice. A few weeks ago I went to her page and found out she apparently unfriended me, though I'm not sure why.
  • abcdevonn said:
    arrippa said:
    I have an old childhood friend, who is bipolar. Her statuses are not entertaining but bizarre. She lost custody of her child and is homeless. She has a government phone that she uses for her facebooking (she mentions this many times).  Apparently, she went off meds (she has done this multiple times in the past) and her family won't help her until she agrees to go back on them. Her posts always makes me so sad.
    I only vaguely knew a person like this who added me as a friend on Faceook after I met her once. She, too, is bipolar and her posts were VERY bizarre, she usually tagged upwards of twenty people in every single one, even if she wasn't actually talking about them, and she would post every five minutes for hours at a time. She started asking for money constantly, complaining because her parents were trying to keep her on her meds and "make her normal," etc. It was REALLY bad. Then she freaked out because apparently someone reported a suicidal message she posted and Facebook did that whole outreach thing (which is great.) But she was super insulted that someone reported it. She would also post images of her messages to previous employers and people she interned with where she accused them of wrongfully firing her or ignoring her applications for full-time employment because they were discriminating against her. I eventually hid her because it was upsetting, and I didn't feel like I knew her enough to give advice. A few weeks ago I went to her page and found out she apparently unfriended me, though I'm not sure why.
    Yeah, this is always really awkward. I also have a FB friend who struggles with bipolar disorder and when he's going through rough patches he posts lots of quasi-suicide threats. I think it's really a plea for help but I never know what to do because I barely know him (we're old graduate school aquaintences, were never super-close friends to begin with, and haven't talked in 5+ years) but then I worry that all his other FB friends feel the same way and maybe no one is actually reaching out to him. I think he actually got married a couple years ago, but he never mentions his wife. I hope they're still together and she's being supportive.

• Hmm. I just noticed today that my ex-boyfriend unfriended me. That's unfortunate. He was an entertaining trainwreck.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I just deleted about 25 people who either post stupid shit I don't care about, or people I used to be on teams with but didn't like at the time and don't talk to now.  I feel so liberated.  

• Hmm. I just noticed today that my ex-boyfriend unfriended me. That's unfortunate. He was an entertaining trainwreck.
    My ex deleted me after I changed my status to engaged. So weird.

• I forgot about my dads cousin! She asks for prayers for everything. Today is husbands first day at work, please pray it goes well. Daughter put an offer in on a house, please pray it's accepted. Woke up with a slight cough this morning, please pray it doesn't get worse. I'm down with prayer but how about: do well at your job, make a respectable offer and take an airborne! You have some control over the outcome in your life!
  • I'm not actually friends with my sister on fb anymore, but she's a BIG drama llama.  I'm actually so glad to not have to see it anymore, but my BFF is still friends, so I get the more obnoxious updates.

She is like ALMOST a month pregnant.  As in, she was drinking plenty at my wedding a month ago, but may have gotten KU that weekend.

She just announced it on facebook today, complete with professional photos of my 2 year old nephew wearing a "Big Brother" shirt and captioned "Guess what??"

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• @luckya23 I get soooo nervous for people when they post their pregnancy announcements prematurely on FB. It's a pet peave of mine because I'm always tempted to be like "Congrats, that's wonderful, but...." and then quote the statistics for early miscarriage rates. Downer, I know.

I was thinking of this thread last night because I have a FB friend who has a particularly annoying habit of posting up-to-the minute "breaking news" updates for whatever silly thing is going on locally in her town. Yesterday evening there was a traffic jam, and she's posted like 5 times about it complete with photographs ("such-and-such road is closed", "You have to take this other route to detour", "It's still bumper-to-bumper on route X", etc). So she has like 500 FB friends, of which maybe 20 live in her town and would actually give a damn, and even they are probably like "um, yeah I can also check the local traffic report if I am even in that part of town to begin with..."
  • @luckya23 I get soooo nervous for people when they post their pregnancy announcements prematurely on FB. It's a pet peave of mine because I'm always tempted to be like "Congrats, that's wonderful, but...." and then quote the statistics for early miscarriage rates. Downer, I know.

I know, right?? I think the worst part is getting nephew so excited about it... although she's been talking to him before they were officially trying, so I guess maybe it's all sort of "sometime in the future" in his head. 

At least I know for sure that if I did get pregnant, NONE of them could know early because of how they've spread the word this time.  The day after the positive test, my mom was telling her neighbors, (who assumed it was me) and they said oh do you know the sex yet?  And mom's all "no, she's only a month or 2 along..." I'm like MOM THEY CAN DO MATH when you say she's due in March!!  More like 1 or 2 weeks!

• After the Boston marathon bomber sentencing I defriended a few people who could fall into this category [loose acquaintances and guys I used to play hockey with] because of how they expressed their views on the sentence and capital punishment in general.

H's best friend's cousin posts at least one selfie per day and she looks EXACTLY the same in every photo.  Curly hair, glasses. She's a single mom and often includes her 8 year old daughter in the post; both of them posing.  I feel bad because this little girl not only seems overexposed, but is dressed up in all sorts of outfits and constantly being told how beautiful she is by her mom.  Yesterday the daughter was sick and she posted a photo with the two of them smiling and posing with "sexy" pouts, just like they do any other day.  It just rubs me the wrong way for some reason, why can't she post pics of her daughter riding a bike or building something or doing any activity, really? I feel bad for the woman because she seems to need a lot of validation.  I like a lot of her posts because no one else does, but am I just reinforcing this behavior?

Another FB friend posts multiple pictures of her adorable, chubby 6 month old every day.   I don't mind, per se, but she's created a FB account for him and tags him in every photo.  Again, the overexposure and micromanagement of his social image at such a young age just somehow feels wrong to me.

• After the Boston marathon bomber sentencing I defriended a few people who could fall into this category [loose acquaintances and guys I used to play hockey with] because of how they expressed their views on the sentence and capital punishment in general.

H's best friend's cousin posts at least one selfie per day and she looks EXACTLY the same in every photo.  Curly hair, glasses. She's a single mom and often includes her 8 year old daughter in the post; both of them posing.  I feel bad because this little girl not only seems overexposed, but is dressed up in all sorts of outfits and constantly being told how beautiful she is by her mom.  Yesterday the daughter was sick and she posted a photo with the two of them smiling and posing with "sexy" pouts, just like they do any other day.  It just rubs me the wrong way for some reason, why can't she post pics of her daughter riding a bike or building something or doing any activity, really? I feel bad for the woman because she seems to need a lot of validation.  I like a lot of her posts because no one else does, but am I just reinforcing this behavior?

Another FB friend posts multiple pictures of her adorable, chubby 6 month old every day.   I don't mind, per se, but she's created a FB account for him and tags him in every photo.  Again, the overexposure and micromanagement of his social image at such a young age just somehow feels wrong to me.

My traffic report update FB friend (see above) does both of these things too! She also posts lots of 'woe is me' updates because of whatever seemingly inconsequential FWP of the day. I guess she has lots of annoying FB habits. I think about defriending her sometimes, but her son is adorable and I am kinda curious what she's up to (she's someone I knew from high school and is a good friend of one of my besties).
  • Here's today's example from my entertaining fb friend.  Mind you, we went to UVa, so this is a "dear" topic to us.  The guy was in a frat, but I can't remember which one...image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards