Chit Chat
Options

Bedroom Sets

So we (and by we I mean me) are wanting a new bedroom set. First priority is a bed, then nightstands and dressers. We both like wooden furniture and generally a dark finish. There are so many options out there!

Where did y'all get your bedroom furniture? Any place I should stay away from? Any other reccommendations? Thanks!

Re: Bedroom Sets

• Options
    Most of our house is decorated from Havertys: dining room, living room, and master bedroom. And soon to be our office because my husband has decided we need "real" furniture in there instead of Office Max desk and Walmart bookcase. I disagree, but that's another thread. ;)
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I've got nothing, we built our bed set (bed frame and night stands) so we just did what we wanted to do with it and didn't have to pick it out from somewhere. What are you looking for? I love new furniture! I'm currently looking for a new sofa. Below is what our bed set looks like (old picture, there is also a board across the top it just wasn't up yet. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of "sets" because I like to mix and match, but we bought a new bed earlier this year.  We bought it at a place called American Furniture Warehouse, but I think they're just out here in Colorado/Utah/Arizona.  

I will say, I love our Sleep Number mattress... FI likes super soft and I tend to like more firm, so the sleep number was well worth the money for us.

As for staying away, I wouldn't buy from West Elm.  I LOVE their style there, and have bought a number of items there throughout the years, and it doesn't hold up very well.  A bed is one thing you don't want falling apart on you ;)
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    We got our nightstands and dresser from Ikea (Hemnes in black/brown).  We are looking at getting an upholstered headboard from Pottery Barn.

I really like the furniture from City Furniture, but they are located in Florida so they may not work for you in regards to seeing things in person.  They do deliver out of state though.

• Options
    I've got nothing, we built our bed set (bed frame and night stands) so we just did what we wanted to do with it and didn't have to pick it out from somewhere. What are you looking for? I love new furniture! I'm currently looking for a new sofa. Below is what our bed set looks like (old picture, there is also a board across the top it just wasn't up yet. 

I love your stuff! Do you take online orders? ;)

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    I'm not a big fan of "sets" because I like to mix and match, but we bought a new bed earlier this year.  We bought it at a place called American Furniture Warehouse, but I think they're just out here in Colorado/Utah/Arizona.  

I will say, I love our Sleep Number mattress... FI likes super soft and I tend to like more firm, so the sleep number was well worth the money for us.

As for staying away, I wouldn't buy from West Elm.  I LOVE their style there, and have bought a number of items there throughout the years, and it doesn't hold up very well.  A bed is one thing you don't want falling apart on you ;)
    Ditto the bolded. 

I've never bought a dresser; the one I currently use was inherited from my grandmother (and it's beautiful so I'll never get rid of it). 

I bought a bed when I was fresh out of college so it was one of the first major purchases of my "adult" life. It was an Ashley bed but I got it from a discount store. I love it. It's pretty, and it's sturdy, and it has moved to other cities and houses with me so I know from experience that it's pretty easy to take it apart and reassemble. 

I think it's this one: 
  • Options
    julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    We got our nightstands and dresser from Ikea (Hemnes in black/brown).  We are looking at getting an upholstered headboard from Pottery Barn.

I really like the furniture from City Furniture, but they are located in Florida so they may not work for you in regards to seeing things in person.  They do deliver out of state though.
    If it's just an upholstered headboard you want (not entire frame), I'd skip PB and go on Wayfair.com or jossandmain.com.  I got a really nice upholstered headboard on Joss and Main for under $200.  It just attached to our metal frame we already had.  

ETA, Wayfair owns Joss and Main.  Joss and Main is just flash sales, Wayfair is both flash sales and regular stuff.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    You might want to check out Joss & Main. I'm kind of addicted to their site. I've ordered a couple things from there and was not disappointed. 
  • Options

If it's just an upholstered headboard you want (not entire frame), I'd skip PB and go on Wayfair.com or jossandmain.com.  I got a really nice upholstered headboard on Joss and Main for under $200.  It just attached to our metal frame we already had.  

ETA, Wayfair owns Joss and Main.  Joss and Main is just flash sales, Wayfair is both flash sales and regular stuff.
    Lol I posted my comment above before I read yours! Great minds ;) 
  • Options

Lol I posted my comment above before I read yours! Great minds ;) 
    Loves me some J&M and Wayfair.  I have a trade account on Wayfair because I had a real estate license, so I get a discount and 3% back on every purchase (I think the 3% applies to anybody though).  A lot of the purchases I did on Wayfair were for my flip house clients, so I got lots of rewards without spending any of my own money.  I got us a new file cabinet and a bedside table for the guest room for free.   We also bought all the lights for our house on J&M and Wayfair.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    lovemesomemonster said: I've got nothing, we built our bed set (bed frame and night stands) so we just did what we wanted to do with it and didn't have to pick it out from somewhere. What are you looking for? I love new furniture! I'm currently looking for a new sofa. Below is what our bed set looks like (old picture, there is also a board across the top it just wasn't up yet. 

That looks great! Originally we wanted to build our furniture but honestly, I'm afraid it would never get done because we stay busy. I
    think we like sleigh beds? I just know we like wooden furniture with a darker finish. Our house has a rustic-ish feel kind of. Eventually I want the bed, dresser with a mirror, chest of drawers, and two night stands.

• Options
    I did forget to mention that most of the furniture on J&M and Wayfair is "put it together yourself" type of furniture, so if I were looking to buy a long lasting bedroom set, I wouldn't do it there.  But for smaller pieces and non-furniture items, it's AWESOME.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Overstock is where we just got our headboard. We just moved in together and with the cats, we weren't sure how much damage they would cause. But we really like this one so far (and the cats haven't torn it up):
  • Options

I love your stuff! Do you take online orders? ;)

Hey thanks! If I ever quit my day job and start doing that full time I'll let you know ;) House projects and building furniture is so much fun! Dang full time work gets in the way of fun :(

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We ordered our bed on overstock.com. Our night stands are from Target; they're actually end tables for a living room. No dresser- only a closet as we have a studio apartment.
  • Options
    CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    We always made do with whatever we could afford.  Garage sales and tent clearance sales furnished much of our home until recently.

The furniture business has changed drastically in the past 20 years.  Except for IKEA. a lot of budget priced wood furniture is manufactured in China and shipped over here.  The expensive furniture from North Carolina is having a hard time competing with it.

Eight years ago I needed furniture for my first official guestroom.  I went to a local budget store (Furniture Row), marched over to their clearance area, and spotted a nice, basic double dresser with a small mark on it.  $135?  Sold!  I then looked for other clearance items that would co-ordinate.  It didn't need to be part of a set.  Queen size headboard for $35?  Mirror from Lowes.  The most expensive item was the nightstand, which I paid $199, full price, but it completed the look.  People talk about that bedroom.  Over the past few years, I have gleaned little accessory touches from Ebay and garage sales.  It really looks better than the bedroom set we finally bought ourselves in 1993. 
    My dining room furniture was bought off a garage sale driveway in 1978.  It was old then.  Now it is antique, and I shouldn't replace it.
    Take your time, shop around.  When you see a bargain (like that dresser), be ready to pounce.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    Wegl13Wegl13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Yeeeeeah..... Our furniture is hand-me-down glam. My husbands family were really into antiques, so everything in our bedroom (bed, his bedside table, his dresser, my dresserobe) are all antiques. The only thing that isn't is my bedside table, because it's the one I've had for the past 15 years and I don't see the point of replacing it. If you like dark wooden furniture (and aren't in a hurry), I might check out that route. My parents purchased a GORGEOUS bedroom suite at an antique store for a very reasonable price. Although now that I'm typing this I realize that most people today aren't a fan of full sized beds so maybe not an antique for the bed?
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    We bought from a local place in our area so I can't recommend them as a go shop here place. But the experience there was wonderful! It was really important to H and I to 1. Buy real wood, no pressboard or particle board or mdf pieces and 2. To at least get North American made furniture and preferably US made if at all possible. None of the chain furniture stores we visited could really offer this to us. Many of them are well known American brand names but their operations are completely overseas. We spent a lot, but it was worth it for something we'll use for the next 40 years at least.

We've done some shopping around at some consignment and antique stores too. We got a beautiful buffet piece for $400 at one store.

• Options
    I don't know why, but I didn't even think about the fact that I'm so close to the furniture capital in High Point, NC. I should definitely try some local shops there. We have furniture right now. Our bed is a metal bed frame we bought off Craigslist for $50, our "nightstands" are actually stackable shelves FIL made for DH when he was little, my dresser is an antique that my great grandpa built at the furniture mill he owned, and DH's dresser was built by his grandpa when he was little. And we both treasure those two items but they aren't practical because they aren't big enough. 

I like the idea of shopping locally for a piece here and there and adding to it. Because quality is really important to us.

But I love a good bargain! Our kitchen table is from an antique store and I bought it for $150. It didn't have chairs but I found some at a yard sale that matched perfectly. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Options
    Our bed is just mattresses on a metal bed frame, and our nightstands are just these cheap little shelves from target.  I really want new nightstands, but just haven't had the money.

Our dresser is the Hemnes dresser from ikea, and while it was pretty affordable (compared to furniture stores), it's probably one of the nicest pieces of furniture we own.  It's a great piece of furniture.

SaveSave
  • Options
    monkeysip said:
    Our bed is just mattresses on a metal bed frame, and our nightstands are just these cheap little shelves from target.  I really want new nightstands, but just haven't had the money.

Our dresser is the Hemnes dresser from ikea, and while it was pretty affordable (compared to furniture stores), it's probably one of the nicest pieces of furniture we own.  It's a great piece of furniture.
    I know a lot of people stick their noses up at Ikea, but I have a lot of items from there and love them all.  I bought an entertainment unit (liatorp) back when we first bought our home.  I got so many compliments on it, and everyone was shocked when I said it was Ikea.  After rearranging some things in our house, we split the unit up and now I have a tv stand and a wall shelf in our family room and two bookcases that I am using in my dining room.

I also have a huge dining table, 4 chairs and a bench.  A Pax unit that is in our kitchen area being used as storage for kitchen items and as an additional pantry.  A desk and dresser up in our office (dresser is being used as a file cabinet).  A baby changing table (without the changing portion) being used as a tv stand in our guest room.  The Hemnes daybed in our guest room.  A large grey desk in my bedroom that I use as a vanity.  And a wrap around couch in our living room and a recliner from Ikea.  So yeah, I think I keep my Ikea in business.  But honestly I really like the furniture they offer.  Yeah, I may have to put it together, but if that saves me thousands of dollars then so be it.

Personally I think furniture is just so ridiculously expensive and a lot of it from "regular" furniture stores is just down right ugly.

• Options
    I also have a bunch of Hemnes line from Ikea in our second bedroom - dresser, two tall cabinets, two nightstands. I've had the dresser for 8 years and it's still in great shape after 3 moves. The other pieces are newer. Unlike most Ikea furniture (which is wood veneer), this line is actually solid wood, so it's a bit sturdier. However, it's soft wood (pine, I think), so it probably won't hold up for 50 years. I imagine we'll actually invest in some "real" furniture when we buy a house, but when you're living in small city rental apartments you often end up needing to get something that's right for the space, even though it may not be universally right for the next place you live... this is what drives the "disposable" furniture market that Ikea, Target, etc caters to.
  • Options
    vikinganna87vikinganna87 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2015

I agree with PPs that you should take your time and shop around in a variety of stores, including local handmade furniture shops and also flea markets and yard sales.  My favorite piece of furniture is a beautiful cherry bed I got as a gift from my parents a few years after college.  It's from a local place, Circle Furniture.

I agree that IKEA gets undeservedly bashed a lot.  It's not for everyone or everything, but when I was on a very tight budget and still wanted decent design, I went to IKEA because it was what I could afford.  As @redheadbride15 mentions, for most furniture pieces, IKEA has everything from low end particle board stuff to decent-quality solid wood.  Some pieces are flimsy, especially the cheap ones, but others last for years.  I bought an IKEA couch a few years ago and wasn't crazy about the upholstery and ended up buying a custom couch cover from Estonia. The benefit of IKEA is that it's so ubiquitous that there are a lot of companies specializing in those types of things.  I especially like IKEA for lighting and rugs.  My mother buys a lot of IKEA bed linens, but even the 100% cotton isn't soft enough for me, so pay attention to the thread count.  (Also I'm biased because I'm a Swede and have been around IKEA my whole life).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards