Chit Chat
Options

Traveling Breakfast

Good news: I finally moved in with my FI.

Bad News: I now have a much longer commute.

Do any of y'all have good suggestions for make ahead, easy to bring in the car, breakfast recipes? I don't think I can survive every morning on smoothies.

Re: Traveling Breakfast

• Options
    I found this article on Buzzfeed over the weekend - it has breakfast, lunch and dinner and they're prep ahead meals for the week. There's a few good breakfast suggestions that would be easy to make ahead and take on the road. I plan on doing some major cooking this Sunday!

• Options
    I just eat a granola bar, yogurt or oatmeal for breakfast along with my coffee. That may not be enough for some people though.

• Options
    If it was me, I would eat a small something in the car like a granola bar or a piece or two of toast and then eat a larger breakfast when I got to work.  That way I wouldn't have to worry about my breakfast being easy to eat in the car.

• Options
    If it was me, I would eat a small something in the car like a granola bar or a piece or two of toast and then eat a larger breakfast when I got to work.  That way I wouldn't have to worry about my breakfast being easy to eat in the car.
    This. I saw a guy trying to eat Chinese food while driving the other day and my first thought was "holy shit that's dangerous." Plus if you're like me and you try to eat something more than a granola bar, you'll get to work with stuff spilled all over you. 
  • Options
    I often take some or all of my breakfast to work.  I walk though, and eat when I get there, so please don't eat this while you're driving!!  I do Berry Parfaits sometimes:

1 cup yogurt (I use vanilla usually)
    1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    Mix the two well
    1 cup berries ( usually have strawberries or raspberries in the house.  You can do fresh or frozen, but the frozen ones make it really cold and it hurts my teeth)
    top with 1 cup Special K cereal.  

I tent to add the cereal throughout cos i like it crunchy

• Options
    I have a protein bar for breakfast in the car.  If you have a Kroger-owned store in your area, their "Simple Truth" brand protein bars are pretty decent and don't have a ton of sugar like a lot of national brands do (Power Bars, I'm looking at you).  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Hardboiled eggs. I'm really lazy and like to buy the ones that are all ready boiled and peeled (I HATE peeling them myself). 
  • Options
    I'm not much help.  My breakfast is only chocolate milk.   Yep, I'm an eight-year kid.

My mid-morning snack is normally a banana, handful of nuts, bowl of grapes, an apple or sometimes an hardboiled egg.   Any of those can easily travel so you can eat when you get to work (assuming you are able to eat at work).

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

When I'm in a rush I'll make oatmeal and put it in a coffee cup for the car.  If you don't clean the cup immediately afterwards, though, it can get pretty gross.

• Options
    My husband makes breakfast sandwiches or burritos and eats them in the car on the way to work. Mini bagels with a little cream cheese to act as glue, some lunch meat, and some veggies makes a great breakfast sandwich that won't get all over everything.

It is also easy to recreate something you would buy in a drive thru yourself at home and make it healthier. I make sausage or egg mcmuffins at home that are really tasty and easy to eat in the car. Microwaving a scrambled egg takes less than a minute, and you can put that on or in anything.
  • Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Oh! Speaking of egg mcmuffins, we got this off our registry and love it! http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-25475A-Breakfast-Sandwich/dp/B00EI7DPOO

Yes you can totally do sandwiches easily enough without the machine, but this works great! I buy either the precooked bacon, sausage, or sometimes ham. 
  • Options
    We make little mini egg muffins that I've taken in the car. It's basically an scrambled egg that we cook in a muffin pan. Ideally I eat them on a plate with some bacon, but when I'm in a hurry I've taken my plate in the car with me. They are tiny so you don't really need silverware. Of course, my H thinks this is crazy. I think he's just not used to people bringing plates into a car with them. 

And my Mom used to put cereal and milk in a cup (like a plastic pint cup) and eat her breakfast that way. It was a little strange, but it worked for her.
  • Options
    WinstonsGirlWinstonsGirl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2015
    @cgss11 - I'll one up you.  We got this for my parents for Christmas last year:

• Options
    I make eggs muffins or bring toast.
  • Options
    DH's typical breakfast lately is Brisket on a Biscuit. He buys the frozen Pillsbury biscuits, pops a couple in the oven when he wakes up, reheats some brisket, puts it all together and he's good to go. 

We also sometimes make little breakfast casserole things in muffin tins that are easy to reheat and mess free to take on the road.  Similar to these, except we use pillsbury croissant dough for the base and use bacon & diced ham instead of sausage.

• Options
    WeeshWeesh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I found this article on Buzzfeed over the weekend - it has breakfast, lunch and dinner and they're prep ahead meals for the week. There's a few good breakfast suggestions that would be easy to make ahead and take on the road. I plan on doing some major cooking this Sunday!

Those look awesome, thanks!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards